Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #181
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Why did you rule out the TE610?
Well, I haven't completely ruled it out, but here are some of the things that have run through my mind so far:

1) Dealer networks - no contest in case some major work is needed in one of the boondock states. For the DRZ, even some Kawi dealers would have parts and familiarity with the bike.

2) Gas mileage / range. From what I can gather from posts in various places, the DR and especially the DRZ get quite a bit better mileage than the TE, and the Zuks have lots of tank choices, too. Also, if I get a brand new bike, seems like I saw somewhere that the 08 FI 610 would not accept the available 5 gal tank.

3) Price. I can do a lot of set-up on the Zuks for the $1500-$2000 difference in price.

Of course, the TE is lighter and more powerful than the Zuks, and I've wanted a Husky since I was a kid dreaming of being like Malcolm. But I might have a different dream if my Husky breaks down in Deliveranceland.

(We should probably take further TE discussion elsewhere, since this is the DRZ thread.)
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #182
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open
Well, I haven't completely ruled it out, but here are some of the things that have run through my mind so far:

1) Dealer networks - no contest in case some major work is needed in one of the boondock states. For the DRZ, even some Kawi dealers would have parts and familiarity with the bike.

2) Gas mileage / range. From what I can gather from posts in various places, the DR and especially the DRZ get quite a bit better mileage than the TE, and the Zuks have lots of tank choices, too. Also, if I get a brand new bike, seems like I saw somewhere that the 08 FI 610 would not accept the available 5 gal tank.

3) Price. I can do a lot of set-up on the Zuks for the $1500-$2000 difference in price.

Of course, the TE is lighter and more powerful than the Zuks, and I've wanted a Husky since I was a kid dreaming of being like Malcolm. But I might have a different dream if my Husky breaks down in Deliveranceland.

(We should probably take further TE discussion elsewhere, since this is the DRZ thread.)
Thanks - it's relevant to the DRZ forum insofar as I've been considering trading my DRZ400K for a TE610. Just haven't found a way to make the DRZ comfortable for the 250 mile days i want to do in order to ride the passes in Colorado.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #183
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Thanks - it's relevant to the DRZ forum insofar as I've been considering trading my DRZ400K for a TE610. Just haven't found a way to make the DRZ comfortable for the 250 mile days i want to do in order to ride the passes in Colorado.
My green DRZS is tolerable if I put an Alaska Sheepskin on it, and wear padded bicycle shorts. I rode 200-220 mile days on dirt from Colorado to Canada on the Continental Divide Trail, and rode back in 3 days (about 1300 miles). It wasn't very comfortable, but my arse recovered during the night. I have another seat, and I'm thinking of modifying it to make it wider and slightly lower.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #184
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I should be getting the SDG seat I ordered from TT any day now. I'll give a full report after some time in the saddle.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #185
Foundry
Molten Metal

Oddometer: 138
My bike. Need to get a steering damper and fix the seat. Then I'll really be in love.

Foundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #186
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
I love my DRZ, and would turn it into a full DS mount, (mine's an E model), but when I gear it for nasty woods, there's no top end speed. Why, oh why, didn't they put in a sixth gear? Oh, well. I have my KTM for that. My KTM actually has too much power for woods, (520), but the DRZ needs a couple more ponies. Just a couple and it would be perfect.

What pipe/silencer mods actually work? I need to keep it quiet though.

I ride very agressively in rocky single track. Is the SRC fork brace a good mod? I liked it on an XR 600 but this bike seems to be much better at not flexing the fork too much. Over on the KLR 650 thread, most seem to like the fork brace, although some say it increases harshness of impact and took it off.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #187
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
The pet-cock on the DRZ400S is complete TRASH! Lucky for me I already had a replacement (normal one from a WR400) when I discovered how severely mine head failed.

I hadn't ridden my DRZ400 is over 2 weeks and this weekend I discovered my Fuel tank was almost empty (parked nearly full). I take my carb off and find that the entire motor is FULL of gasoline!!! I drained probably a gallon or more just from the oil drain plug. and then blew a bunch out of the spark plug hole too.

If I hadn't been taking the bike apart to replace my carb with a CVK 40 from a KLR I wouldn't have found out until next weekend when I'm going to Meatfest.

For those of you who don't know the CVK 40 can be made to work on the DRZ400S with a little work. It produces more power and is significantly less expensive than an FCR conversion. I spent less than $100 to do this mod. I got a CVK from a KLR that already had the better needle, put a 145 main jet in, a new little diaphram for the coast enrichener and a choke plunger from a KLX300.

The directions are on TT. They weren't really clear until I actually started doing the swap. I took some photos and will post up at a later date. (shouldn't be any confusion after that).
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...&highlight=cvk

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #188
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
The pet-cock on the DRZ400S is complete TRASH! Lucky for me I already had a replacement (normal one from a WR400) when I discovered how severely mine head failed.

I hadn't ridden my DRZ400 is over 2 weeks and this weekend I discovered my Fuel tank was almost empty (parked nearly full). I take my carb off and find that the entire motor is FULL of gasoline!!! I drained probably a gallon or more just from the oil drain plug. and then blew a bunch out of the spark plug hole too.

If I hadn't been taking the bike apart to replace my carb with a CVK 40 from a KLR I wouldn't have found out until next weekend when I'm going to Meatfest.

For those of you who don't know the CVK 40 can be made to work on the DRZ400S with a little work. It produces more power and is significantly less expensive than an FCR conversion. I spent less than $100 to do this mod. I got a CVK from a KLR that already had the better needle, put a 145 main jet in, a new little diaphram for the coast enrichener and a choke plunger from a KLX300.

The directions are on TT. They weren't really clear until I actually started doing the swap. I took some photos and will post up at a later date. (shouldn't be any confusion after that).
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...&highlight=cvk
The CVK is indeed bigger, but isn't it still a vacuum carb? Does if have the quick hit of the FCR39 pumper?

Just wondering, did you have the petcock set to PRIME? I actually liked the stock S petcock even with my FCR. It was nice to never have to turn it off when I was done riding.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #189
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
The CVK is indeed bigger, but isn't it still a vacuum carb? Does if have the quick hit of the FCR39 pumper?
It'll never be like the FCR39 but it's a dyno proven increase over stock and you can definetly feel the difference (quicker throttle response). I just finished it yesterday so I don't have much to report other than the bike runs better and feels stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
Just wondering, did you have the petcock set to PRIME? I actually liked the stock S petcock even with my FCR. It was nice to never have to turn it off when I was done riding.
I believe it was in the "On" position. The Petcock never would shut-off in any postion On/Res/Prime whether the bike was running or not. Just a big ole piece of shit. The Manual old fashioned style is way better IMO!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #190
DGETHIS
You say Jump.I say HOWHI!

Oddometer: 42
Id like to see some pics of some 400s in the air!... anyone got some?
DGETHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:30 PM   #191
dr650jammer
Crank it up

Oddometer: 25
new bike

Gday all just traded my 06 model dr650 in with dealer he gave me $4.500 for mine and i paid the same to him.
Not a bad bike the new 07 drz400E but i just need to know im getting a new sproket tomorrow as this thing really and i mean really screams down the highway at 80-90 kilometres an hour.Any sugesstions about gearing its all stock and brand new.
Also i am wondering if anyone else has gone from dr650 to drz400E because i am finding this drz a heap more slower than my dr650 like its got bugger all power below but i was told it wouldnt get power untill the engine had been run in isit this right or wrong
dr650jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #192
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr650jammer
Gday all just traded my 06 model dr650 in with dealer he gave me $4.500 for mine and i paid the same to him.
Not a bad bike the new 07 drz400E but i just need to know im getting a new sproket tomorrow as this thing really and i mean really screams down the highway at 80-90 kilometres an hour.Any sugesstions about gearing its all stock and brand new.
Also i am wondering if anyone else has gone from dr650 to drz400E because i am finding this drz a heap more slower than my dr650 like its got bugger all power below but i was told it wouldnt get power untill the engine had been run in isit this right or wrong
I hate to break it to you, but the '07 DRZ400E is NOT the same as it's predecessors in the motor department. It has the 'S' model's CV carb, lower compression and the less aggressive cams. Blame California.

The good news is it can be 'fixed' with some $$$. Get a FCR39 carb, pre-2007 E base gasket, cams (or Hot Cams) and perhaps exhaust and all will be good. I'd also recommend getting a 15-t counter sprocket for dual-sporting days. Keep the 14-t for single-track rides. You'll also want to open up the airbox if your doing the carb and exhaust. If your serious about getting the most out of this start with swapping out the carb (don't bother rejetting the CV carb). Your fuel mileage will drop a bit, but the grin factor will go up.

I highly recommend that you spend some time reading ThumperTalk too.

gas_pig70 screwed with this post 09-25-2007 at 12:43 AM
gas_pig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 AM   #193
dr650jammer
Crank it up

yeh

so there is a big differance or slight i mean what i feel is the standard gearing is useless first gear is good but the rest u chew through ina matter of seconds.But yeh i just feel from the first 60 kays or so it seems to be a shit load slower than me 650 but im getting a new sproket tomorrow so more top end speed.

PS:If i had it my way i would own a few bikes but the bank man says no!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #194
dr650jammer
Crank it up

Pics

il add soem pics when its ready but its standard.
The dealer told me today that standard they take or mod the air box and rip out the baffle straight off the show room floor but i have read a fair bit of this forum and seen a few mods that have been common like jeting etc

But cheers for the posts and i like to think more brains make better bikes :P
Old 09-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #195
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Sorry dr650jammer, I forgot you're from Oz. Disregard what I said as it only applies to the US as the Aussie models still get the FCR39 and all the other good bits. For dual-sporting you'll still want that 15-t front cs.

Sometimes more brains just equals more brains... not better.