Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #19546
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
E should fit on S model or vice versa, I don't thing it will affect your speedo (I am using trail tech though). I ride an E model and bought a set of wheels of a 2003 S model. The SM model are a bit different.
Thanks.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #19547
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 528
Takes more work but I put my master link clip in the inside of the chain and not the outside. Maybe that way it is protected a little more.

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #19548
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
I've lost mine before, but wasn't so lucky. Got stuck 50km from home. Always keep a spare link in my toolkit now.
How did you press the plate on, with a chain tool or pliers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
By chance i just now noticed this on my bike, have no idea why it happend.

Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #19549
axia
Super Schralpster

Oddometer: 52
Speaking of chain woes, can anyone tell me why my chain is jumping around like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ChZ...ature=youtu.be

axia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #19550
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
I've lost mine before, but wasn't so lucky. Got stuck 50km from home. Always keep a spare link in my toolkit now.
How did you press the plate on, with a chain tool or pliers?
I just got a new clip, pressed it on with needle nose pliers, but im not happy about the way it looks, the part that extends to go over the front metal piece, expended, and when its fully on, its still looks apart, did not go back to being closed the way it was before i put it on, ill keep a eye on it.

Ill get a new complete master link tomorrow, to carry with me on the bike.

there's a special tool for putting that clip on?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #19551
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by axia View Post
Speaking of chain woes, can anyone tell me why my chain is jumping around like this?

because its a thumper, with no load on the drive train.

what you are seeing are the slack of the chain transfering from above to below the swingarm as the piston accelerates/decelerates and the wheel stays fairly constant in speed.

cush drive bikes do it less, but still visible.

lower rpms, or lugging will show this while riding.

completely normal.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #19552
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

I understand. I think that was my problem when I lost mine. If you try and push the clip on without the plate properly pressed on first, you may either stress the clip, or not fully engage the clip ( what you have just described)
I suggest you get a chain tool and you will have better results. There are fairly compact chain breaker tools you can buy which can be used to press the plate on. Once the plate is properly on you should find the clip goes on much easier with your pliers
Good luck
Quote:
I just got a new clip, pressed it on with needle nose pliers, but im not happy about the way it looks, the part that extends to go over the front metal piece, expended, and when its fully on, its still looks apart, did not go back to being closed the way it was before i put it on, ill keep a eye on it.

Ill get a new complete master link tomorrow, to carry with me on the bike.

there's a special tool for putting that clip on?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #19553
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
I understand. I think that was my problem when I lost mine. If you try and push the clip on without the plate properly pressed on first, you may either stress the clip, or not fully engage the clip ( what you have just described)
I suggest you get a chain tool and you will have better results. There are fairly compact chain breaker tools you can buy which can be used to press the plate on. Once the plate is properly on you should find the clip goes on much easier with your pliers
Good luck
Got a link to one of these tools?

im trying to understand how the tool can push the plates together, and at the same time the clip will go on?

Im sure once i see it, ill understand how it works.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #19554
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,288
Quote:
im trying to understand how the tool can push the plates together, and at the same time the clip will go on?
It doesn't do both at the same time. Most master links these days seem to use a plate that is a loose press fit to the pins and you simply need to press it far enough on so that the grooves for the clip seat properly. So you press the plate on where it stays in place, then put the clip on.

Some master links have plates that just slip on easily by hand. I think these may be more common in non o-ring chains, especially in the smaller sizes. But most master links these days require some kind of press fit of the plate. You can use pliers, a small c-clamp, etc., but having a chain press tool that will slowly and evenly press the plate on is a nicer way to go.

The chain pressing tool is usually combined with the tool used to stake the pins on non-clip master links. You can spend a whole lot or not very much for these with differing levels of quality. I borrow one from a friend who spent perhaps $30 for the tool many years ago. It works fine, but is not as easy to use as the more expensive tools.

BTW, I wouldn't ride any bike where I had any doubt that the master clip is seated properly. This is just asking for trouble. And you're not just risking a chain break - when they snap, they can wad up and break other things including engine cases.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 10:44 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #19555
axia
Super Schralpster

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
because its a thumper, with no load on the drive train.

what you are seeing are the slack of the chain transfering from above to below the swingarm as the piston accelerates/decelerates and the wheel stays fairly constant in speed.

cush drive bikes do it less, but still visible.

lower rpms, or lugging will show this while riding.

completely normal.
Thanks! I was sure all hell was about to break loose!
axia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #19556
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

+1
I reckon you'll need one to press the plate on properly. Once pressed, it will stay put while you slide the clip on

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It doesn't do both at the same time. Most master links these days seem to use a plate that is a loose press fit to the pins and you simply need to press it far enough on so that the grooves for the clip seat properly. So you press the plate on where it stays in place, then put the clip on.

Some master links have plates that just slip on easily by hand. I think these may be more common in non o-ring chains, especially in the smaller sizes. But most master links these days require some kind of press fit of the plate. You can use pliers, a small c-clamp, etc., but having a chain press tool that will slowly and evenly press the plate on is a nicer way to go.

The chain pressing tool is usually combined with the tool used to stake the pins on non-clip master links. You can spend a whole lot or not very much for these with differing levels of quality. I borrow one from a friend who spent perhaps $30 for the tool many years ago. It works fine, but is not as easy to use as the more expensive tools.

BTW, I wouldn't ride any bike where I had any doubt that the master clip is seated properly. This is just asking for trouble. And you're not just risking a chain break - when they snap, they can wad up and break other things including engine cases.

- Mark
Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #19557
carbon_unit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
After I put the clip on I take a flat screwdriver and pry the plate back out against the clip to further secure the clip. Never tried the RTV silicone trick but it might help.
carbon_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #19558
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Got a link to one of these tools?

Im sure once i see it, ill understand how it works.
Not quite what I meant, but this will do it
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...m=chain%20tool
Mine is an Aussie Ballards chain breaker tool
I did the silicone thing once before with no problems
Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #19559
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by axia View Post

Because theres no load on it, its on a lift with the swing arm free, theres no tension.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #19560
Jim patton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Chain

New chain time. I'd check sprockets also. Looks like some frozen/stuck
Rollers. What does it look like rolling it slow?
Jim patton is offline   Reply With Quote