Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #19621
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Any of you guys who ride alot of dirt on your DRZ's ever put on an auto clutch? I have been looking at things to do with my DRZ once I get it, and since I am going for the 2013 S model I was wondering if anyone had eny experience with it?
I have a Z start on my little 200 and its a dream. I could probably work the clutch better myself for about the first 10 miles of single track, then my clutch hand gets so tired, its just an on off switch. Auto is great for really gnarly slow speed stuff. Not sure I'd need it on the broad power of the thumper, though if you are geared tall and working slow speed rocks, it would be handy.
Psycho
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #19622
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,220
Read my ride report on my sig line. 4 KTM's and a DRZ. I borrowed a 2006 yellow DRZ for the Baja ride this year, rode with 4 other KTM's. Jjust recently bought a 2009 DRZ locally, 2700 miles, $3,700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMTCHNV View Post
Hey all drz400 fans, so I just started reading mono enduro and am thinking about drz's now. Can anyone recommend some RR's or build threads about touring with a 400?
I am building this scooter to be my Rocky Mountain - TAT single track bike that can serve me to camp. Also mainly for yearly Baja ride. This bike is low maintenance, cheap maintenance and reliable as the sunshine. I thought about a 525 or 530 KTM, but the DRZ is economical.

DRZ farkles arrived today. Pegs, front disc protector, bars, bark busters, bigger bar clamps (not risers Uncle Gordy), pet cock, longer shifter and IMS 4 gallon clear. Not sure if Casper the DRZ will look right with a clear tank versus white? I know the advantage is the fuel can be observed. Oh, the seat sucks. Likely go with Seat Concepts. Opinions.

Pictures below are current, I have not modified the bike yet less Wolfy stuff and pannier racks.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #19623
Jim patton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Seat concepts

I have the same bike, an 09 and just installed the seat concepts kit,
Much more comfortable and easy install, also went with them for my TE511,
Made it comfortable for a much greater period of time.
Jim patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #19624
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMTCHNV View Post
Hey all drz400 fans, so I just started reading mono enduro and am thinking about drz's now. Can anyone recommend some RR's or build threads about touring with a 400?
I only have few R.R. (sorry no build thread at once), here's one of my RR's of 3 DRZ's hitting notin' but rocks...It's not "Rock 'n' Roll" it's more like Roll 'on' Rocks".
"Rough it up Ride" Phx-Az.

This pic. from my last ride, 3 weeks ago. 375 mi. off-rd through various terrains.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #19625
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Twin brothers

Just got mine a couple months ago. I love it. The Seat Concepts seat is great. The material on the top surface is grippy. I like it a lot. I"m just learning my way around mine and so far so good. Heading out tomorrow morning on about 1,200 miles this weekend. Heading to Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Read my ride report on my sig line. 4 KTM's and a DRZ. I borrowed a 2006 yellow DRZ for the Baja ride this year, rode with 4 other KTM's. Jjust recently bought a 2009 DRZ locally, 2700 miles, $3,700.

I am building this scooter to be my Rocky Mountain - TAT single track bike that can serve me to camp. Also mainly for yearly Baja ride. This bike is low maintenance, cheap maintenance and reliable as the sunshine. I thought about a 525 or 530 KTM, but the DRZ is economical.

DRZ farkles arrived today. Pegs, front disc protector, bars, bark busters, bigger bar clamps (not risers Uncle Gordy), pet cock, longer shifter and IMS 4 gallon clear. Not sure if Casper the DRZ will look right with a clear tank versus white? I know the advantage is the fuel can be observed. Oh, the seat sucks. Likely go with Seat Concepts. Opinions.

Pictures below are current, I have not modified the bike yet less Wolfy stuff and pannier racks.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #19626
DaveyMac
AARP Trail Rider

Oddometer: 174
Im in

BTW to the other poster, I have a Rekluse EXP clutch and I love it.
But i ride tight woods 1st & 2nd gear stuff.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #19627
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Yep, done... estart Es had the bung too, but the head is ready for the decompression mechanism. S heads can be set up for the mechanism if you know what you're doing, but it is not a big deal to go without.

If you want a little added insurance you could add a 25V 20,000uF capacitor slash battery eliminator (or string together a handful of smaller 25V 4700uF caps in parallel) and wire it to the switched side of the ignition (+ve orange to -ve B/W) so that they won't kill the battery when the bike is shut down.
A bike can be hard to kick start with a failed battery and can be disconnected so that the bike runs solely on the caps.
The caps are a good idea but the bike WILL run without them OR the battery. I unfortunately found this out the hard way..but I think the caps will make it easier to start with the kicker..Thanks!
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #19628
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
The caps are a good idea but the bike WILL run without them OR the battery. I unfortunately found this out the hard way..but I think the caps will make it easier to start with the kicker..Thanks!
I understood that only the kick-only model would do this ? different stator or signal generator or something ?

I know my s will run very poorly when I broke a battery terminal, and is very hard to bump start, needs 15-20mph to start.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #19629
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post
I'm new to the DRZ but very interested. Have located a bone stock 2012 w/ 1500 miles listed for $5300. Seems a little steep to me. Fair price? TIA.
Rippoff.. I would pay no more than $4000-$4500 for that year and mileage. SM is worth more as well. But if you go for older years you can find them for $3000 on average w/ less than 3000 miles. Where you live is also a factor and since I'm in CA the street legal dirt bikes are worth more $$. The E models are dirt cheap and I see them go for around $2k
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #19630
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post

Hi, how about a real world review on those WolfMan side racks?

they seem nice for sure, but are they strong?

I drop my bike out on the trails every so often

Will they survive a drop, or will they bend?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #19631
Homercules
Doh!

Oddometer: 22
I've got the Wolfman racks on my bike and they are definitely strong. The frame tabs you mount them to will probably give out before the racks.

I didn't like how much they stick out so I mounted them to the inside of the frame tabs which took a little massaging of the racks (and the frame tabs) but i brought them in almost an inch on each side. Makes a bit of difference on the highway.
Homercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #19632
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercules View Post
I've got the Wolfman racks on my bike and they are definitely strong. The frame tabs you mount them to will probably give out before the racks.

I didn't like how much they stick out so I mounted them to the inside of the frame tabs which took a little massaging of the racks (and the frame tabs) but i brought them in almost an inch on each side. Makes a bit of difference on the highway.
Sounds like a good mod, got any pics?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #19633
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,220
My DRZ will soon take on some farkles. Bark busters, Moose bars, front disc proctor, bigger IMS tank and E series pet cock, Moose pegs, shim the carb and air box mods. Soon to be bad ass Rocky Mountain/Baja bike. Maybe some more Wolfy stuff.....
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #19634
rustycager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
Im in

BTW to the other poster, I have a Rekluse EXP clutch and I love it.
But i ride tight woods 1st & 2nd gear stuff.
What size wolfman tank bag is that? Looks bigger than what I usually see on these. Wouldn't mind finding one to stash a 5" 1911 in.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #19635
JJMTCHNV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanks

Thanks Wayne & gadget. That white one with the rally tower looks awesome.
JJMTCHNV is offline   Reply With Quote