Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #19861
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonThomas View Post
Bought this today, pretty excited! 2010 E model with 3800Km's-

Nice, Slap an engine guard and hand guards on it and let the ripping begin. BTW do u also have an electric start in addition to the kicker??
Old 08-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #19862
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Morning, folks. Just bought an 03 E with low hours. Been perusing this thread and anything else I can find on the Dr. Zook. I was very seriously considering a Husky Strada but it's orphan status (and much higher cost) set me off. Anyway, hoping this bike will see many miles of mixed terrain over the next couple years as we continue to wait for the perfect ADV bike. I'm tired of holding my breath.

Learning a lot as I try to catch up with all that gone be done. Not ready to spring for a big bore kit yet (maybe next year) but all else is happening apace. Let me know if I've missed anything obvious in the following list. And thanks for reading.

Farkling began as soon as I get it home so only .3 of my miles on it so far. Haven't done much but order parts but the parts order has already double the price. Biggest by far (financially and literally) is the Safari 28 L tank. Thanks to ADV for the 5% discount at Just Tanks.

Here's the only pic so far after picking it up,,, it's pretty much spread across the garage floor right now.
So...
Safari 28L tank
UFO Stealth Headlight and screen
Trail Tech Vector computer
ADV 60 LED flood light
Heated grips
LED turn signals with Baja Design switch.
LED tail light/brake light bulb
Added LED brake light
Seat Concepts wider seat foam and cover
Sea Horse SE720 water proof cases in yellow from Case Club
Moto Racks rack and bag hangers

Only thing mounted so far is the ADV 60 light,,, waiting for a lot o' stuff to arrive.

Still to do also, tubeless rear tire system and re-gear for more street worth. My plan is to ride this bike everywhere up to and including mild single track.

Oh, forgot to add, the PO had already done quite a bit to make it functional: good bash plate, case cover parts, Renthal bars, etc. It was already plated in AZ so title 'n plates were easy.

Here's the pic, when I picked it up in Paulden, AZ.

George 99 screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 05:14 PM
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #19863
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
So,
I ask my fellow DRZers what insurance company you use?
Just got my E and added it to my existing Progressive bike account on the 'net. Added cost? $8/yr. And, I printed my own updated cards.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #19864
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 225
I've done a search and can't find an answer to this.

What are people using to replace the butter-soft nuts for the rear sprocket? These things suck. I'm thinking nylocs with loctite will work fine as long as they are inspected occasionally.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #19865
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post

What are people using to replace the butter-soft nuts for the rear sprocket? These things suck. I'm thinking nylocs with loctite will work fine as long as they are inspected occasionally.

i like the moose kit my self
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #19866
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:

Nylocs with blue Loctite (medium strength).
Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #19867
SimonThomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Holy Crap! I'd be almost as excited about the awesome pics...LOL
Haha thanks mate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Nice, Slap an engine guard and hand guards on it and let the ripping begin. BTW do u also have an electric start in addition to the kicker??
Yeah Im going to get a few bits for it. Yes it has electric start and the previous owner added the kicker too so its got the best of both worlds, im sure it will come in handy if the battery goes flat in the middle of no where!
SimonThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #19868
dyg
dyg it

Oddometer: 15
New tail light/rack/tool storage/fuel bottle holders

Finally got some upgrades done! Installed a $14 integrated tail light from eBay (search red 16 led motorcycle integrated light - may not be street legal but i am using on the street) - not as expensive as the Edge. Used a $10 kit from Wheeling that has the 3 plastic connectors and male metal connectors (which will need to be soldered) because I wanted to keep all the original wiring on the lighting I removed. Very simple to wire! You only need to add resistors for the turn signals and not for the running/brake light. I did a "T" off the 1 ground wire from the tail light to create all the other grounds and used a posi-tap on the ground from the main harness tail light ground. I used the K & H Technologies in-line resistors - there is a red and black on each one. Just "T" them in to the positive and negative of each turn signal. I zip tied the resistors to the frame under the seat next to the rectifier on top of the air box. Removed the new tail light from the new license bracket and attached it with fender washers on the back side of the black rear fender thru the existing rubber grommets. I used the old license plate bracket and mounted it just below the new tail light.

Had looked at a lot of rear racks. Finally settled on one from moto-racks dot com that specifically caught my eye. The guy (Tom) who makes them lives in Vermont and has a DRZ so it is well thought out.. The rack fits like a glove; no spacer is needed above the plastic rear fender and the powder coating was excellent. Added a Pelican 1400 case (wanted something bigger than the 1250 I had seen other people install). Decided to mount my fuel bottle holders on top of the case - had to trim the tabs on the holders a bit but wanted to center them on top of the Pelican. Put rubber between all the touching plastic surfaces and used big fender washers through out. Hope you like what I did....

dyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #19869
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Nylocs with blue Loctite (medium strength).
Did that for the one I had stripped. I may go with them all in the future.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #19870
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Morning, folks. Just bought an 03 E with low hours. Been perusing this thread and anything else I can find on the Dr. Zook. I was very seriously considering a Husky Strada but it's orphan status (and much higher cost) set me off. Anyway, hoping this bike will see many miles of mixed terrain over the next couple years as we continue to wait for the perfect ADV bike. I'm tired of holding my breath.

Learning a lot as I try to catch up with all that gone be done. Not ready to spring for a big bore kit yet (maybe next year) but all else is happening apace. Let me know if I've missed anything obvious in the following list. And thanks for reading.

Farkling began as soon as I get it home so only .3 of my miles on it so far. Haven't done much but order parts but the parts order has already double the price. Biggest by far (financially and literally) is the Safari 28 L tank. Thanks to ADV for the 5% discount at Just Tanks.

Here's the only pic so far after picking it up,,, it's pretty much spread across the garage floor right now.
So...
Safari 28L tank
UFO Stealth Headlight and screen
Trail Tech Vector computer
ADV 60 LED flood light
Heated grips
LED turn signals with Baja Design switch.
LED tail light/brake light bulb
Added LED brake light
Seat Concepts wider seat foam and cover
Sea Horse SE720 water proof cases in yellow from Case Club
Moto Racks rack and bag hangers

Only thing mounted so far is the ADV 60 light,,, waiting for a lot o' stuff to arrive.

Still to do also, tubeless rear tire system and re-gear for more street worth. My plan is to ride this bike everywhere up to and including mild single track.

Oh, forgot to add, the PO had already done quite a bit to make it functional: good bash plate, case cover parts, Renthal bars, etc. It was already plated in AZ so title 'n plates were easy.

Here's the pic, when I picked it up in Paulden, AZ.
Nice looking bike, Congrats and welcome aboard.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #19871
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingam00 View Post
Got Flo through USAA and get a discount. Total price $98 a year for complete coverage. DRZ 400 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Also use flo through USAA and for full coverage on both bikes one of which is straight up dirt not street legal. 190 per year.when I mean full coverage I mean every check box checked full replacement value the works.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Just got my E and added it to my existing Progressive bike account on the 'net. Added cost? $8/yr. And, I printed my own updated cards.
Thanks for all the info guys, I recieved my new insurance cards today. CLFless, I need the proof of insurance cards to get the bike thru NC State inspection, so they will accept my tax and tag renewal.

I will look into some other insurance options once I get my road bike completed.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #19872
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyg View Post
The guy (Tom) who makes them lives in Vermont and has a DRZ so it is well thought out.. The rack fits like a glove; no spacer is needed above the plastic rear fender and the powder coating was excellent. Added a Pelican 1400 case (wanted something bigger than the 1250 I had seen other people install). Decided to mount my fuel bottle holders on top of the case - had to trim the tabs on the holders a bit but wanted to center them on top of the Pelican. Put rubber between all the touching plastic surfaces and used big fender washers through out. Hope you like what I did....

Since my setup is essentially the same I like it.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #19873
Tirpse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I made small dashboard to bike and also put there fuse box for GPS, power outlet and soon to be installed auxillery LED-lights.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #19874
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
She has a full system Yosh R3, 3x3, JD Kit jetted to their specs:

Good Looker!
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #19875