User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #19906
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Tires... I know, I know....

I have two sets of e model rims now.... My current set that are slightly bent and a nice straight set. I am planning on running knobbies on the current not so straight set and butting as close to a 100% street tire on the other set. I am about to start daily riding my KLX every day. I was going to sumo the bent rims but its way too expensive and I'd have to swap chains every time I swap.

I've searched about tires for the e model wheels and I don't come up with much and what I do come up with the tires are discontinued. Best I can find is a shinko 705 and a deathwing for the rear. Anyone else know of any cheap tires I can run that will get a ton of miles out of?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #19907
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
Tires
. Best I can find is a shinko 705 and a deathwing for the rear. Anyone else know of any cheap tires I can run that will get a ton of miles out of?
I know someone who get good mileage out of this one:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

U can get over 3000 miles easy.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #19908
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
All right DRZ-O-philes. Have an opportunity to pick up a 2001 with 17k on it for a decent price. Looking for something a little smaller than the KTM 950 for dual sporting and offroad.

Anything specific I need to look for on this vintage DRZ? Are there any recalls, or "must do" mods?

Cheers Ken
just fix the stuff that rattles, and enjoy the riding.

oh, what rattles ? everything !

timing chain (auto tensioner is shit, stretches chain, causes rattles)
auto decompression mechanism (gets loose on cam, rattles like a bad rod/piston)
rocks in the skid plate

the swing arm pivots get nasty and the through bolt freezes in
the stem bearings melt their grease out and get rusty quick

and the stators. oh god the stators.

otherwise, ya, they're fine bikes. i'd buy one with 40000 on the clock without worry, hell i've done all the crap one with 80000 on the clocks might need to mine ;-)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #19909
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
I know someone who get good mileage out of this one:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

U can get over 3000 miles easy.
Thanks, rocky mountain didn't have those listed. I was hoping to find tires that would go 6000 miles or more.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #19910
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Thanks, rocky mountain didn't have those listed. I was hoping to find tires that would go 6000 miles or more.

I really like the mileage, street traction, and okay off road performance (way better then the deathwings)of the Bridgestone tw-301 and 302. I got almost 8000 miles with them on my DRZ. They are also a quiet tire.

Trail Wing TW301 and TW302 are on-off type tires with primal emphasis on on-road performance, making the tires ideal for the customers who ride off-road motorcycles mainly in metropolitan (city) area.. Considerable attention has been paid to the balance of pattern, shape and compound to reduce differences in performance in wet conditions on ordinary roads, even on manholes covers and painted street surfaces.
  • We have also upgraded the effective pattern design, improved the appearance of wear due to gutters, and reduced steering wobble when riding at speed.TW301/TW302 keep the off-road appearance but in fact provide excellent on-road performance. The center blocks provide stability in straightway, anti-irregular wear. The edge blocks are carefully designed for fine cornering grip in on and off-road uses.
Construction
  • DTC technology in rear tire contributes to the long mileage and fine cornering grip. TW302 is the only Trail Wing pattern with DTC technology, making the TW301/302 combination one of the premium lines of Bridgestone trail wing.

toadl screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 08:08 PM
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #19911
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Here's my new-to-me 400-E. It's basically stock except bars, bash plate, and Scott steering stabilizer. Also, brake lights and horn. It's licensed.

I have most of the stuff to add dual beam headlight, LED turn signals, and a couple other parts. My yellow SeaHorse bags are here but Tom's rack and pannier carriers haven't arrived yet. Also waiting for the 28L Safari tank. It's on it's way.

Ordered the Shinko 705s from Revzilla (best price) but haven't received shipping info yet.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #19912
toadl
toadl

Help Please.

I know it may be a pain, but if someone could look up the free spring length for the fork spring on a 2005 DRZ400S, I'd really appreciate it. I have the repair manual for my 2001 but I upgraded the forks to the 2005 and I know the spring lengths are different.
I bought these on fleabay and wanted to see if I should get some shims before I take my forks apart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eibach-Fork-...e7da9e&vxp=mtr
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #19913
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
I know it may be a pain, but if someone could look up the free spring length for the fork spring on a 2005 DRZ400S, I'd really appreciate it. I have the repair manual for my 2001 but I upgraded the forks to the 2005 and I know the spring lengths are different.
I bought these on fleabay and wanted to see if I should get some shims before I take my forks apart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eibach-Fork-...e7da9e&vxp=mtr
Damn man I was looking at these today on ebay it's a great buy. I got Eibach springs (front & rear) on my DR650. I got them from Jesse he's such a cool guy and very helpful. I suggest u give him a call and ask him what u need. Here's the link:
http://www.kientech.com/index.htm
Old 08-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #19914
rustycager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
I doubt this is the correct place but I'll give it a go. When looking for 12v power outlet options for my DRZ/S I didn't see a whole lot that wasn't either expensive or not what I was looking for. I made my own and have been testing it. Well it works ,looks clean and doesn't need any mods other than wire ran from the battery. Is this something that yall might be interested in if it was reasonably priced? I'm thinking $50 for the outlet and bracket in brushed, blasted or polished finish. I'd only make 20 or so of them.

I haven't had time to finish the switch panel and having trouble locating the switches I want to use but that is in the works also.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #19915
toadl
toadl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Damn man I was looking at these today on ebay it's a great buy. I got Eibach springs (front & rear) on my DR650. I got them from Jesse he's such a cool guy and very helpful. I suggest u give him a call and ask him what u need. Here's the link:
http://www.kientech.com/index.htm
They were 15 percent off a few days ago too. I have a good idea with where I'm going with setting the forks up. I just need to know the stock free length. It should be in a repair manual. That is a nice link though, especially for DR owners.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #19916
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
I really like the mileage, street traction, and okay off road performance (way better then the deathwings)of the Bridgestone tw-301 and 302. I got almost 8000 miles with them on my DRZ. They are also a quiet tire.

Trail Wing TW301 and TW302 are on-off type tires with primal emphasis on on-road performance, making the tires ideal for the customers who ride off-road motorcycles mainly in metropolitan (city) area.. Considerable attention has been paid to the balance of pattern, shape and compound to reduce differences in performance in wet conditions on ordinary roads, even on manholes covers and painted street surfaces.
  • We have also upgraded the effective pattern design, improved the appearance of wear due to gutters, and reduced steering wobble when riding at speed.TW301/TW302 keep the off-road appearance but in fact provide excellent on-road performance. The center blocks provide stability in straightway, anti-irregular wear. The edge blocks are carefully designed for fine cornering grip in on and off-road uses.
Construction
  • DTC technology in rear tire contributes to the long mileage and fine cornering grip. TW302 is the only Trail Wing pattern with DTC technology, making the TW301/302 combination one of the premium lines of Bridgestone trail wing.
Any pics of these installed on your bike?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #19917
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Construction
Really, 8000 miles? I get about 2,000 from shinko 244 or e700's. From the looks of those tires I'd kill them fast. For a comparison I get about 1,000 miles from a d606 front and rear.... And I ride the rear pretty low tread depth wise.

If those tires really get that type of mileage I'd be really interested, even tho they are a little pricy.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #19918
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
100+ km more fuel for under $50

I think I got spoiled by the 41L tank (35L useable) that was on my BMW 1100 GS and the 500+ km range that it afforded me.

The OE tank was quickly shed on my DRZ for the IMS 4 gallon tank, which really I have to debate if it is that large. I can get about 13L into it when reserve switch is needed. 13L / 3.8 is 3.5 ish gallons of useable space. In that 13L I can get 260+ km of reliable range range or which works out to a worst case scenario of 5L per 100km.

The following week I want to ride from Quesnel BC to Kelowna BC with a little asphalt as possible, so I was thinking of taking the old wagon road from Quesnel down to Pavilion BC and then to Kelowna via Merrit

Quesnel to the Bella Coola highway (hwy 20) via Meldrum creek on the West Side of the Fraser River is 144km - one could go into William Lake and refuel but where's the fun in that? From the Meldrum creek / hwy 20 intersection to Pavillion via Gang Ranch is about 250km so 400km range is what is needed for this leg of the trip (plus a little more to Lillooet as this is where a gas station is) - the BMW had no issues with this. The DRZ at 5L per 100km would need 20L of fuel - I don't have enough - 7L short. Once I get to the highway 99 I still need to get to Lillooet where there is a fueling station. All of a sudden that really expensive 28L liter Safari tank looks appealing. So... what to do...

I think I will have to swallow my pride and stop at Williams Lake to refuel leaving me with 300 kilometers or 15L which is 3 more than what the tank would give me without laying the bike over to get the remaining dregs in the right lobe - so how to do this without breaking the piggy bank which is why I sold the BMW to begin with...

This week at Canadian Tire they have the 1.25L Kolpin tank and bracket on special - $42 after taxes, so I bought one... not a bad deal for 5.5L of extra fuel which is enough to get me past 300 kilometers.

So how to elegantly mount it so my rack is still useful as I need to take a tent, sleeping bag and supplies in a dry bag and to make sure that it isn't going to leak - laying it on it's side to me is a bad idea...

Here's photos of a few hours of tinkering.

Take two piece of aluminum tubing - drill and weld - fasten the supplied bracket and you are done.

Tank mounted - almost level... doh!

The depression in the tank fits the contours of the DRZ and isn't in the way of the rider.

No suspension issues.

Doesn't look too too bad on the bike and it can be removed in under a minute by removing two M8 allen bolts.

Materials needed to build the mount:
25cm of 20x20mm aluminium tubing cut into two pieces
2x M8x25 allen head bolt
2x M8 Washer
2x M8 Lock Washer
2x M8 Nylock nut

The only issue I can see with this is there is no triangulation to support the weight of the bike if I crash... I guess if I crash and bend this, it's a bad crash and that will be the least of my worries.

Now... with the Safari 28L tank install plus this would give an easy 30L of fuel or a 600km range... back to BMW territory!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #19919
rustycager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Really, 8000 miles? I get about 2,000 from shinko 244 or e700's. From the looks of those tires I'd kill them fast. For a comparison I get about 1,000 miles from a d606 front and rear.... And I ride the rear pretty low tread depth wise.

If those tires really get that type of mileage I'd be really interested, even tho they are a little pricy.

D606 atleast for the front is soft and wears fast on the road.
I've only use 3-4mm of a t63 rear in 600 miles @22 psi. I wouldn't say i'm an aggressive rider but I do use the whole tire and both throttle and brakes for all they have at times. It took 100+ miles for the new t63 front @20 to lose nubs. Both seem controlled on side steps no matter wet or dry.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #19920
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk View Post
I think I got spoiled by the 41L tank (35L useable) that was on my BMW 1100 GS and the 500+ km range that it afforded me.

The OE tank was quickly shed on my DRZ for the IMS 4 gallon tank, which really I have to debate if it is that large. I can get about 13L into it when reserve switch is needed. 13L / 3.8 is 3.5 ish gallons of useable space. In that 13L I can get 260+ km of reliable range range or which works out to a worst case scenario of 5L per 100km.

The following week I want to ride from Quesnel BC to Kelowna BC with a little asphalt as possible, so I was thinking of taking the old wagon road from Quesnel down to Pavilion BC and then to Kelowna via Merrit

Quesnel to the Bella Coola highway (hwy 20) via Meldrum creek on the West Side of the Fraser River is 144km - one could go into William Lake and refuel but where's the fun in that? From the Meldrum creek / hwy 20 intersection to Pavillion via Gang Ranch is about 250km so 400km range is what is needed for this leg of the trip (plus a little more to Lillooet as this is where a gas station is) - the BMW had no issues with this. The DRZ at 5L per 100km would need 20L of fuel - I don't have enough - 7L short. Once I get to the highway 99 I still need to get to Lillooet where there is a fueling station. All of a sudden that really expensive 28L liter Safari tank looks appealing. So... what to do...

I think I will have to swallow my pride and stop at Williams Lake to refuel leaving me with 300 kilometers or 15L which is 3 more than what the tank would give me without laying the bike over to get the remaining dregs in the right lobe - so how to do this without breaking the piggy bank which is why I sold the BMW to begin with...

This week at Canadian Tire they have the 1.25L Kolpin tank and bracket on special - $42 after taxes, so I bought one... not a bad deal for 5.5L of extra fuel which is enough to get me past 300 kilometers.

So how to elegantly mount it so my rack is still useful as I need to take a tent, sleeping bag and supplies in a dry bag and to make sure that it isn't going to leak - laying it on it's side to me is a bad idea...
Dude that would be an awesome ride! I wanted to do a similar route when I was up there. My buddy in white rock does something like that every summer. The best I managed was a couple days when it was less than 100F, I played at an offroad park.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote