Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #20146
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post
So I'm kinda new to the drz. What are some of the necessary modifications?
here:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/540...s-should-read/

read the rest while you are there, lots of good to know info
enjoy the trip
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #20147
bmwpowere36m3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Took the DRZ for a ride at the Dam...

For those interested in fork/shock revalves... another member and myself started a thread about suspension revalving, theories, stacks and damping plots (shim restackor).

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/103...commendations/

Myself I've gone through two iterations of fork stacks and it has really transformed the bike (I already had it sprung for my weight). In stock form, the forks are terribly soft (clickers don't help) and really limit your riding potential and confidence. Now that the forks are working much better, the shock is lacking in damping.

Just an FYI, trying to get the info out there and share people thoughts and experiences. For me, revalving the suspension transformed the bike into a usable off-road machine (unless you just put-put around on fire roads) more so than just changing the springs for my weight.
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #20148
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis View Post
Righty tighty, lefty loosy........
Oh, come on now...I'm not that bad..
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #20149
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,680
Moved the bags I usually use on the KTM's crashbars over to the DRZ.

Looks like the straps will provide a solid mount...guess we'll find out tomorrow when we head out for a couple hundred miles of fun

Other side holds tool kit, air pump and a few other items...
(bags are 6x10 tactical gear bags from 5.11)
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #20150
Brods1675
Giant

Oddometer: 124
Question KLX400R conking out.

Hi all,

Amongst my fleet is a KLX400R. Bike experiences intermittent cut-outs.

It's been to my mechanic a number of times. It always behaved for him, but recently he took it for a lap of the MX track and it cut out, with him almost going over the bars.

it will conk out, particularly after the front has lifted off a bit of a jump or a bump on a track, or when going up a steep slope. When it happens it's like it's run out of fuel.

Then it'll turn over but won't fire. However if you leave it a while it'll often start again.

So far the bike has had an engine rebuild, within the last couple of months. On its last trip to the mechanic the carby was overhauled with new jets.

Given that even my mechanic is struggling to isolate the cause I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone can help.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/4158796
Brods1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #20151
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Side stand switch...?
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #20152
Brods1675
Giant

that's disconnected. Thanks anyway.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #20153
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Vapor locked gas tank...?
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #20154
Brods1675
Giant

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Vapor locked gas tank...?
now there's a thought...

Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #20155
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Stator? Mine went whacky before it finally blew (E model DRZ).
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #20156
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Ailing bike carby related?

I've got an Oz 400e with the FCR carbie, that started to drip from the overflow tube, part way into a desert trip. The bike ran fine for a few days and only seemed to drip at tick over, so I left it, but the drip became a trickle and the bike became progressively harder to start and lost tick over. Once underway it still seemed to run fine and was returning 17-18 km per litre (51 mpg imperial), through sandy desert terrain.

Once out of the scrub the bike finally quit outside a pub.... (wouldn't start once cold). I took the float bowl off and looked at the float, float needle/seat and everything looked fine. The float bowl was also clean. Put it back together and changed the plug, but still no go. On the verge of giving up I gave it one more kick (fuel off, throttle open) and the bike started . Didn't start the next day though...... back firing through the carbie etc.

So, I'm thinking overflow = leaking float needle/seat = flooding at low revs and possibly a fouled plug, but.... why did the bike run ok once underway, and run fine for 4-5 days before it quit? Is there anything else in the FCR I should be looking for, that would give these symptoms? Would I even be able to see a buggered needle/seat?

Could the overflow be a red herring and the stator be playing up?

Once last thing, the bike was running on OPAL, a low aromatic low octane petrol used to combat sniffing in the indigenous communities, could this have buggered an O-ring somewhere?

Any ideas would be appreciated, my plan of action unless something obvious comes up is to rebuilt the carbie and check the valve clearances (but the bike only has 5500km), but I'd rather find out what went wrong so I can fix it out bush if it happens again..

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #20157
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brods1675 View Post
now there's a thought...
I would suspect the tank vent is not venting especially if it's one with a check valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post

So, I'm thinking overflow = leaking float needle/seat = flooding at low revs and possibly a fouled plug, but.... why did the bike run ok once underway, and run fine for 4-5 days before it quit? Is there anything else in the FCR I should be looking for, that would give these symptoms? Would I even be able to see a buggered needle/seat?

Once last thing, the bike was running on OPAL, a low aromatic low octane petrol used to combat sniffing in the indigenous communities, could this have buggered an O-ring somewhere?

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian, I'm hearing two things that could make starting difficult. FCR carbs are foreign to me however I think if the float valve/o-ring assembly is leaking then your engine would have flooded, you would find a very wet spark plug which would be useless until dry. Fuel would also seep past the piston rings into the crankcase diluting the oil.
OPAL fuel is also foreign to me. Sniffing? I am curious and shall look it up. Perhaps this low octane fuel doesn't have the volatility to fire well in a high compression engine.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #20158
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Moved the bags I usually use on the KTM's crashbars over to the DRZ.

Looks like the straps will provide a solid mount...guess we'll find out tomorrow when we head out for a couple hundred miles of fun

Other side holds tool kit, air pump and a few other items...
(bags are 6x10 tactical gear bags from 5.11)
Interesting idea. I'm sure if you are fully loaded the bike handles differently, but with just those up front do you notice much change?
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #20159
Brods1675
Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post
I've got an Oz 400e with the FCR carbie, that started to drip from the overflow tube, part way into a desert trip. The bike ran fine for a few days and only seemed to drip at tick over, so I left it, but the drip became a trickle and the bike became progressively harder to start and lost tick over. Once underway it still seemed to run fine and was returning 17-18 km per litre (51 mpg imperial), through sandy desert terrain.

Once out of the scrub the bike finally quit outside a pub.... (wouldn't start once cold). I took the float bowl off and looked at the float, float needle/seat and everything looked fine. The float bowl was also clean. Put it back together and changed the plug, but still no go. On the verge of giving up I gave it one more kick (fuel off, throttle open) and the bike started . Didn't start the next day though...... back firing through the carbie etc.

Could the overflow be a red herring and the stator be playing up?

Any ideas would be appreciated, my plan of action unless something obvious comes up is to rebuilt the carbie and check the valve clearances (but the bike only has 5500km), but I'd rather find out what went wrong so I can fix it out bush if it happens again..

Cheers,

Adrian
Mine had this as one of the early problems. Float got stuck and fuel poured out of it. My bike probably has similar mileage to yours.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #20160
Crabenho
NOOBish

Oddometer: 607
Subframe and Wolfman Racks Needed

Hey Guys,

I have a set of Wolfman Expedition bags that I want to put on my 2003 KLX R. I guess I need to replace my subframe with a S or SM model. If anybody has one, I'd be interested. I also need the Wolfman DRZ side racks.

Thanks,
Chris