Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #2011
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 407
Exhaust advice ...

Hello!

I'm doing the 3x3 mod in a few weeks, and was contemplating a pipe mod also. Since $ is tight, I'm thinking of getting just the slipon FMF or Yosh. What will I lose from doing that, versus getting a full system (can + header)?

In other words, is a slipon only going to give me a sound change, or will it actually give me a bit of an hp boost, and would there be more of an hp boost if I went with can and header?

Also, is the E exhaust different from the S? I have an S, and I've got somone willing to sell me their Yosh can from a wrecked E bike. Wondering if there is some rear footpeg attachment weirdness ....

thanks,

cm

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #2012
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,807
A bit of personal preference here but....

Most exhaust mods are a waste of money and time on the S unless you
.....change to an E base gasket to bump compression a bit (but that means it's more fuel sensitive)
.....change at least the intake came to the E spec or a more agressive aftermarket cam.
.....open the air box with the 3-3 mod
.....chanage the carb to a good (usually non-ebay) FCR.

Just modding the exhaust will cost and give you a louder bike without much REAL gain....yes it will sound faster.

Best bucks you can spend now would be the 3-3 mod and then the FCR carb....probably as much as a good exhaust.

This will give you a more responsive bike without being too loud. Then, later you can bump compression and do the cam...then the exhaust mods will actually have a real affect on performance.

With all these mods in place you can expect to pay a price. Mileage will drop, and bike will be louder and you'll most likely have to run premium fuel (depending on what passes for fuel in your part of the world).

If you just want a the bike to run like it should, do the 3-3 mod and see how you like it.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #2013
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
If you just want a the bike to run like it should, do the 3-3 mod and see how you like it.
I agree with everything said. The stock exhaust is pretty efficient and you won't gain much by an aftermarket exhaust (except noise of course), unless you make other mods. And slip-ons are even less likely to make power gains because the stock head pipe is so small.

Noise and nicer look - that will be about the extent of it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #2014
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 407
Thanks Ladder and MJ,

Good advice!

cm

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #2015
RandomZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I know the E model has better suspension than the S, is it worth finding a used E shock to replace the S shock with? I picked up an S fairly cheap and will be doing mostly off road stuff with it. Found a 2000 DRZ400E shock for $100, but that seems a little steep.

I'll be doing the airbox mod, play with the jetting and getting a full exhaust too. Looking forward to this bike. My first bike was DR100 and that thing was a hoot
RandomZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #2016
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomZ
I know the E model has better suspension than the S, is it worth finding a used E shock to replace the S shock with? I picked up an S fairly cheap and will be doing mostly off road stuff with it. Found a 2000 DRZ400E shock for $100, but that seems a little steep.

I'll be doing the airbox mod, play with the jetting and getting a full exhaust too. Looking forward to this bike. My first bike was DR100 and that thing was a hoot
Only if the S is a pre 03 they got the same suspenders 03 and up.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #2017
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I agree with everything said. The stock exhaust is pretty efficient and you won't gain much by an aftermarket exhaust (except noise of course), unless you make other mods. And slip-ons are even less likely to make power gains because the stock head pipe is so small.

Noise and nicer look - that will be about the extent of it.

- Mark
+ 2
A slip on only changes the sound. You have to do the full system to get any HP boost. Also, e-model exhaust has different mounting where it goes behind the subframe as e-models have a different subframe. A friend and inmate here (buck nasty) has the full yosh on his s-model and got a decent HP boost (3-4hp) over stock once he rejetted the carb. FYI, the FCR will use more fuel than the stock CV but have a snappier response.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #2018
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 752
Sweetcheeks are back

Hey guys, I started selling sweetcheeks again.

They are available through www.sporttour.com

I don't have them on the web site yet, just call. 513.761-0936

They are also on our e-bay store.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #2019
gearmaker
UmDumChuck

Oddometer: 102
Ice studding my tires

Will I wreck my tires if I put ice studs in them? Are some tires better to stud?
gearmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #2020
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmaker
Will I wreck my tires if I put ice studs in them? Are some tires better to stud?
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...light=studding

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #2021
gearmaker
UmDumChuck

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
Thanks, for the link, this will get me started.
gearmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #2022
John in Seattle
KLRista

Oddometer: 111
What to do about a too loud DR-Z400E/K?

Greetings inmates!

I just scored a dual-sported 2004 DR-Z400E with the kickstart kit on it. It has an aftermarket Pro Circuit exhaust system that is too loud for me. Where I ride Loud Pipes Lose Rights . I also suffer from a bit of tinitus so just can't ride a loud bike.

I've considered fitting the Pro Circuit baffle but am not sure I want to spend the money on that only to find the bike is still too loud.

Another alternative might be to pick up a stock system plus cash in trade for this system. Not sure if the headpipe is stock making this a slip-on or if the headpipe is also aftermarket.

Maybe someone can look at the pics and tell me?

What do you DR-Z pilots suggest I do to muzzle this beast?

Pics here:
http://johnbiccum.smugmug.com/galler...29275279_d97JZ
XR250L
DRZ400E (w/ a plate)
and a garage full of 60's Hondas

John in Seattle screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 10:39 PM
John in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #2023
John in Seattle
KLRista

Oddometer: 111
My new DR-Z400E/K also has an Edelbrock carb on it

Should I keep that or put the FCR back on? Whare are FCRs worth to DR-Z400S riders?
XR250L
DRZ400E (w/ a plate)
and a garage full of 60's Hondas
John in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #2024
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Seattle
Greetings inmates!

I just scored a dual-sported 2004 DR-Z400E with the kickstart kit on it. It has an aftermarket Pro Circuit exhaust system that is too loud for me. Where I ride Loud Pipes Lose Rights . I also suffer from a bit of tinutus so just can't ride a loud bike.

I've considered fitting the Pro Circuit baffle but am not sure I want to spend the money on that only to find the bike is still too loud.

Another alternative might be to pick up a stock system plus cash in trade for this system. Not sure if the headpipe is stock making this a slip-on or if the headpipe is also aftermarket.

Maybe someone can look at the pics and tell me?

What do you DR-Z pilots suggest I do to muzzle this beast?

Pics here:
http://johnbiccum.smugmug.com/galler...29275279_d97JZ
To my untrained eye, that looks like the stock exhaust pipe with an aftermarket muffler. Others can help here, but I "think" that you can just slip on the stock muffler.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #2025
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,807
According to Eddie at Thumpertalk, the FCR is a much better carb than the Edelbrok. I'd strongly consider using the FCR.

As to what it's worth....a new FCR MX kit from TT is over $500 but that's with jets and boots and all.

FCRs do wear out. If the carb and air filter hasn't been well maintained, the little wheels will wear grooves into the carb body. Then the slide doesn't seal well and the bike won't idle or pick up revs well. There have been many disappointed people who have bought "bargain" FCRs on ebay only to discover that the carb was worn out after days of fiddling and ordering extra slides etc.

A bargain price for a used FCR in good shape would be around $200.00

I'll be first in line if the carb is in good shape and you consider selling.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote