Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #20297
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
Just bought my new 2013 drz today!!
congrats. Enjoy that DRZ. Post up some pics!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #20298
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
Hope the drowned bike got an oil change ASAP after that dunking!
Don't worry, we changed it twice. It will be fine s wine.

Well for a Drz anyway
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #20299
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spozzy View Post
I'm looking at a 9000 KM '06, but rumors abound in some of my local (South African) forums, that the DRZ does not do well on long trips, any opinions on this?
Your ass will quit before the bike does. Invest in a quality seat and it'll be fine.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #20300
Brick Top
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
I'm looking at a 9000 KM '06, but rumors abound in some of my local (South African) forums, that the DRZ does not do well on long trips, any opinions on this? I currently ride a DR200, everywhere and any terrain, except long trips, and a XT660Z that as a novice rider find a little intimidating off-road as due to a cager accident, i cannot pick it up alone should i drop it, also ride it anywhere, but usually longer trips.
Spozzy,

I have changed the seat on my DRZ for a seat concepts seat and I like it a lot, 13 hours on the seat have been the longest but then I guess any seat will numb your ass after those hours. What you mean by long trips, there has been a few DRZs "around" the world. One of the inmates just came back from Georgia (7000km plus) and his reply about the bike was no problems, great bike. One of the reasons I bought the drz is because I can pic it up myself.

I should be in RSA end of Des, if you are around (with the DRZ ) lets have a meet up, we will stay in Centurion one or two days.

B. Top.
Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #20301
mtbbker
MtbBiker

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Spozzy,

I have changed the seat on my DRZ for a seat concepts seat and I like it a lot, 13 hours on the seat have been the longest but then I guess any seat will numb your ass after those hours. What you mean by long trips, there has been a few DRZs "around" the world. One of the inmates just came back from Georgia (7000km plus) and his reply about the bike was no problems, great bike. One of the reasons I bought the drz is because I can pic it up myself.

I should be in RSA end of Des, if you are around (with the DRZ ) lets have a meet up, we will stay in Centurion one or two days.

B. Top.
Yip, get a quality seat , I have done trips to Lesotho, Swaziland - I am based in Centurion. Read the thread of the Romanian couple that is currently travelling through Asia
mtbbker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #20302
rustycager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
I have to say the low profile seat concepts is like riding a 2x8 plank.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #20303
Spozzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Marie View Post
I wouldn't choose a DRZ for a round the world bike, however I see Australian riders regularly using them for 5000-10000km trips. They don't spend much time on sealed roads.
Do you have an injury or condition that prevents you from lifting a heavy bike or is it that you haven't learned how?
I had my ankle smashed in a car accident, and it doesn't bend far enough to allow me power down through the heel, I have some ideas that may work in a push, but i'll be much happier with something lighter. the 400 is 60KG lighter than my Tenere, and should offer no problems.
Spozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #20304
Spozzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
DRZ en route

I signed all the papers this morning, may get her later today, or tomorrow. Hoping the former, i'll never manage another sleepless night . My wife is already laughing at me for wanting to change the seat, and add all the protection. (Poor lass, she just doesn't understand....)
Spozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #20305
BikeBrother
Motorisch gestoord

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
I'm looking at a 9000 KM '06, but rumors abound in some of my local (South African) forums, that the DRZ does not do well on long trips, any opinions on this? I currently ride a DR200, everywhere and any terrain, except long trips, and a XT660Z that as a novice rider find a little intimidating off-road as due to a cager accident, i cannot pick it up alone should i drop it, also ride it anywhere, but usually longer trips.
Hi,

i did a 19.000 km trip last year on my DRZ to Central Asia and Mongolia. Nada problems, not even a flattyre...see:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807088

Ride your Dreams....
BikeBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #20306
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycager View Post
I have to say the low profile seat concepts is like riding a 2x8 plank.
I got the standard SC seat. Worth every cent, huge improvement over stock
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #20307
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeBrother View Post
Hi,

i did a 19.000 km trip last year on my DRZ to Central Asia and Mongolia. Nada problems, not even a flattyre...see:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807088
That's my dream ride, thanks for ur R.R.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #20308
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
I signed all the papers this morning, may get her later today, or tomorrow. Hoping the former, i'll never manage another sleepless night . My wife is already laughing at me for wanting to change the seat, and add all the protection. (Poor lass, she just doesn't understand....)
I put a Sargent seat on my 01 and put a skid plate on it, that and lock-tite the counter sprocket is about all you need.
I also have a 2003, it has the 3x3 mod and taller bar risers and skid plate, it is great too, but i had just as soon ride the 01, unless you are a super rider these bikes at almost stock will do all you want to do.

I did (just for peace of mind) put a manual cam chain tensioner on my 01, those 00 and 01 have the crappy tensioners, my 03 had a different style tensioner on it.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #20309
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
So 25 miles on my brand new DRZ.

Seriously, the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Not the fastest, or best suspended or best handling.... But easily the most fun. Breaking it in with hard accel and hard decell, with a full cool off between cycles.

Waiting for some crush washers to come in, then ill do my first oil change and can't wait to put more miles on it ASAP. Ordered tall bars and risers, a skid plate, case savers, mcct and I think I'm going to get wider pegs.

Suspension, a tall seat and 3x3 mod in the spring, and that should do it. I LOVE this bike! I'll post pics this weekend.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #20310
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJZJ View Post
Does anyone know where I can purchase a new o-ring for the needle and seat on a 2001 DRZ400s? I think the ethanol keeps destroying them and I cant find them individually without buying the whole 50 dollar assembly. It seems like I need one with a flat edge. The ones from NAPA fit as far as the inner diameter, but not the outer diameter.

Also, the bike ran fine last time I started it this spring. Now I have a fully charged battery and it shows no signs of electrical activity. No dash/computer lights, no headlight, no starter click, nothing... Anyone have a clue where to start looking? Im good at everything, but diagnosing electrical problems.

I found a fuse on one of the positive battery terminal wires that was blown, but that didnt change the issue when I put in a new fuse. There was another fuse by the battery, but it was not blown.

Thanks for any help.
You can get the o ring from any auto parts store in a doorman brand viton o ring pack.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote