Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #20611
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Absolutely, the stator on DRZ or most bikes is like a power generator (generate alternative courant) it must dissipate/use at least 60% of its courant or else the coil will burn. It will only turn direct courant once it get regulator/rectifier unit to go to the battery for use.
Not saying your wrong or right but what about back in the day (before headlight on laws) when bikes had an on/off switch from the factory for the headlights. The rider could ride with the headlight on or off.

Electricity is a wonderful and mystic item.

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #20612
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
i run a 5w day light on my drz
then turn the main on as needed
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #20613
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Cheers

Thanks for the responses to the question about stator, this plus a PM I received on this has been appreciated.
This is my experience with the Std stator and wiring so far:
I started running a heated vest this year and a couple of radiator fans (suggested by Numbers, cheers), these worked a treat in the slow sandy trails, there was no problem with a flat battery.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #20614
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingam00 View Post
Not saying your wrong or right but what about back in the day (before headlight on laws) when bikes had an on/off switch from the factory for the headlights. The rider could ride with the headlight on or off.
I've wondered about this myself. I was just a kid in the 70's, but I remember that bikes had on/off switches for the lights back then...like my first bike for instance, an early-70's Yamaha JT1 Mini Enduro. I'm guessing the charging systems on bikes were robust enough that they could power the headlight full time, and if ya ran with the headlight off, there was some extra heat for the R/R to deal with but not enough to cause problems. So is that true for today's bikes?

Just some random musings from a random dipwad

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #20615
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 149
PEGS to DRZ

HELLO ALL

will fit?

bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #20616
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
parting out some drz400 stuff

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post22531699
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #20617
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
I've wondered about this myself. I was just a kid in the 70's, but I remember that bikes had on/off switches for the lights back then...like my first bike for instance, an early-70's Yamaha JT1 Mini Enduro. I'm guessing the charging systems on bikes were robust enough that they could power the headlight full time, and if ya ran with the headlight off, there was some extra heat for the R/R to deal with but not enough to cause problems. So is that true for today's bikes?

Just some random musings from a random dipwad
Well back in my day we could NOT go too fast or the candles in the headlight would blow out

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #20618
Deltron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hey guys I got some questions that I am wondering if you could answer.

-If m drz400 has a blown head gasket what are some ways to check it, and would there be a significant loss in power?

-Could a bad thermostat make it so my fan doesn't turn on at all? or is it the fan? (will be testing the fan itself soon from clymer manual)

- Also since the coolant overflow tank does not empty out after the bike cools down could that also be caused by a bad thermostat?

Any input would be nice.
Deltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #20619
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron View Post

-If m drz400 has a blown head gasket what are some ways to check it, and would there be a significant loss in power?

-Could a bad thermostat make it so my fan doesn't turn on at all? or is it the fan? (will be testing the fan itself soon from clymer manual)

- Also since the coolant overflow tank does not empty out after the bike cools down could that also be caused by a bad thermostat?

Any input would be nice.
Not an expert on DRZ cooling systems but....

1. Usually when a head gasket goes, it gives early symptoms before power loss - mixing of coolant with oil, lots of smoke on startup, steam out exhaust, mess at head gasket junction. But if you press on through these early symptoms or if the failure is sudden/dramatic, yes, it could be down on power. I'd think it would also be making some pretty bad noises too.

2. The S is the only model that comes stock with a radiator fan. It's triggered by a temp sensor, not the thermostat.

3. Plastic coolant tank is just a overflow catch tank if the radiator cap releases pressure/coolant and doesn't have any ability to recover the coolant back to the radiator. Stock, it comes dry and is supposed to stay that way unless you've had an overheating episode.

Hope this helps.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #20620
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
coolant reservoir

The owners manual does say that coolant does return to the radiator with engine cooling. I would think if the return has an air leak this will prevent the return.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #20621
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron View Post

Any input would be nice.
Yes u can definitely loose power from blown gasket .
Before u inspect ur thermostat,u must test your Fan Sending Unit (Clymer ma. chapter ten, page207), located on top left radiator by removing it and verify it continuity using an ohmmeter, usually the unit will switch on when temp. each close to 96 deg. C or 205 deg F. It's better to conduct this test while the unit is with contact in hot water, submerge the sensor part only not the whole unit, taking it to boiling level, (see page 201, chapter 9 in Clymer Manual).
The motor of the fan can also be checked for continuity using an ohmmeter as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #20622
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
As mentioned, it is supposed to be a recovery system and there should be a small amount of coolant in the bottle. A dodgy thermostat can cause excessive venting, but will not cause a recovery failure.
You guys are right; the coolant tank does recover coolant. But I don't think the bike ships with any coolant in the tank and there is no max/min line on it like most car systems, so I don't think there is any requirement that there be any coolant in there. I have heard some guys put some in just to be able to monitor the level and I don't think it hurts anything. Mine's been dry since the bike was new.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #20623
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
But I don't think you'll make the coil burn if ya don't use the "courant," I think you'll make the regulator/rectifier burn, 'cause that's where the extra/unused "alternative courant" goes, where it turns into heat.

Then again, I could be wrong about everything.
You're right the excess of current will be dissipated by Reg/rectifier.
Quote:
There is no mention of what you said in the factory manual... or reference to "courant"...
Clymer Manual chapter9, Electrical system page183, just saying.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #20624
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
The other reason for a small amount in the bottle is to ensure that the radiator is not sucking air. Talking an inch +/-. All of ours were delivered with a similar amount. With less the bottle might as well just be a non-recovery catch tank.

it siphons back into the radiator as the system cools down....but it's not going to draw all the liquid back in and empty the tank - the overflow line will have coolant in it, and when the siphon is lost, the coolant in the line will drain back into the catch tank - allowing the siphon to work again.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #20625
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

If someone interested I am selling my standard cylinder/piston kid include hot cams. Pm me if interested and make an offer.