Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #20671
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,282
I am looking to buy a stock DRZ400S / SM tail light. prefer w turn signals, I have a tiny aftermarket one if anyone wants to trade etc.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #20672
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
any pix ?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #20673
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

nice DRZ ! the KTM690 is pretty sweet. you are right about the DRZ not being dirt bike w a plate, that is what I like about it, its a bit more relaxed then a full on DB, I use mine for fire roading, some long trips, not a single tracker, its more comfortable and very stable at speed on FS roads. enjoy your 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
With both excitement and a bit of sadness, I'm going off the DRZ thread.

Bike was sold on Saturday. Here she is, a quick wash before the new owner picked it up ....

... and here it is ... riding off into the sunset ... (sigh)

I have moved on to a KTM 690 Enduro R. All new learning curve, a bit of a difference in riding experience, to be sure. My focus right now is being able to do longer trips in a bit more comfort / power - whilst adding as little overall weight as possible.

I will say, nevertheless, that with the funds/needs/expectations I had when I first bought my DRZ 6 years ago - I'd do it all over again. At the 400cc size, it truly is the do-it-all bike, and heartily recommend the bike to anyone looking for a true light-weight dual sport (as opposed to a dirt bike with a plate). The longevity, ease of maintenance, and general friendliness of the bike is without equal at this displacement level.

For the countless dumb questions that the good DRZ folks here have answered most generously - I thank you most whole heartedly.

Happy trails,

CM
Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #20674
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile View Post
I am looking to buy a stock DRZ400S / SM tail light. prefer w turn signals, I have a tiny aftermarket one if anyone wants to trade etc.
I have one from an '06 S model; should be the same..

[/URL][/IMG]
KDXfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #20675
bigborexx
Shut up and ride

Oddometer: 28
My drz

photo image_zps5168bec2.jpg
bigborexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #20676
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
A check bolt just isn't the right tool for the job of accurately checking oil level, regardless of calibration.

- Mark
The oil level in the my GS gearbox is by bolt hole as was my Gamma. Granted both gearboxes. The Gamma did have an "add oil" light that came on every 3-400 miles though.

It is only meant for safety checking in this case, which means bare minimum..
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #20677
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

pm sent ! I have an E, I know its different but I am looking for more size back there. I was almost hit by a cable truck,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXfile View Post
I have one from an '06 S model; should be the same..

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #20678
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile View Post
pm sent ! I have an E, I know its different but I am looking for more size back there. I was almost hit by a cable truck,
I have a flashing LED setup on my GS that does the trick without sucking up lots of power, maybe you could consider that as well as a stock tail unit.

OH and maybe a big yellow vest over your riding gear, was this in the city by chance ?

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #20679
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno 998 View Post
Thanks again Mark for your reply , now i just have to wonder , At the time when the motor was designed and two little blokes think ( wow , why dont we put a bolt here to check the oil level when the engine is cold) then the other says ; "yeah" but lets not put it at the right height to give people a correct oil level reading "DOH" . Doesn't make sense? The bolt could have been moved up about another 5mm - 1/4 inch to put it in the right spot, if it isn't already .. Some times motor companys don't give people the full info (who knows why) .. cheers .. Thanks again ..
i don't think it would really work.

i've noticed on my DRZ that sometimes some oil stays up in the frame for a day or more (the dipstick still shows some oil even after sitting for a day or more)....sometimes it all drains out of the frame in a couple hours (the dipstick shows nothing after sitting for just a couple hours). and it is NOT a function of how much oil is actually in the bike. (probably a function of temperature, how well the check valve happens to be sealing that day, etc.)

i don't think you can reliably say "after X amount of time, all the oil will have drained out of the frame into the crankcase". as a result, putting a sight glass or check bolt in the crankcase won't reliably indicate how much oil is in the bike.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #20680
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Which flashing LED setup?

@HighwayChile: It might be worth looking into the DR-Z specific Edge2 tail light (I've got this) with upgraded processor board (but not this) with its pulse function. I recall Youtube videos that show what it is all about if you look for them.
Take a look here as the one on my GS is not the right one for a Dzer

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...0Brake%20Light

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #20681
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,143
OK, question for DRZ owners who are also big guys. I'm 6'4" with a 33' inseam. I need some help setting my bike up for me. I am going with a set of ATV bars for some extra height (right now it's almost impossible to stand on the pegs and ride, I'm either way too bent over or my knees are too bent). That should help with the standing problem.

But I noticed another problem while out riding yesterday, in order to get up forward on the tank, my legs are so bent it's very hard to weight the pegs properly. I end up with most of my weight on the seat. Which is bad, I almost went over the handlebars yesterday because I couldn't support my weight with my legs and use them as a "shock".

I have already been looking at lower pegs (because it will help the standing issue too) but they're pricey. Is there a cheaper bolt on alternative?

What about a taller seat? I know that will cause any gain I get with ATV bars to be lost (while seated) but I feel like the interface between the stock bars and current seat will be the same with a higher seat and ATV bars, so that's not as big of an issue.

Thanks for the help!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #20682
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
tall seat and bar riser or the atv bar option
i'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam
i understand your pain
Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #20683
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

that is exactly what I am doing. more out there in case of crash but better then run over.
the near miss was in a rural area, oncoming truck turning left into a driveway 50mph road, I did a full lock brake, guy behind the truck pulled over as he saw it coming did hit but real close. I am prob going to a hivis jacket. led strips etc.. I'll do more the like on my Quota. might end up looking like a Mod from Quadrophenia

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
I have a flashing LED setup on my GS that does the trick without sucking up lots of power, maybe you could consider that as well as a stock tail unit.

OH and maybe a big yellow vest over your riding gear, was this in the city by chance ?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #20684
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

thanks! I saw those, I am going OEM as its bigger then retro it with LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Which flashing LED setup?

@HighwayChile: It might be worth looking into the DR-Z specific Edge2 tail light (I've got this) with upgraded processor board (but not this) with its pulse function. I recall Youtube videos that show what it is all about if you look for them.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #20685
treestrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Need help Carb. problems!

Long story short, For no reason gas will pour from under the carb. It has done this twice and filled the cylinder with gas both times. Then out comes the plug.

It's hard to start, usually I have to pump the gas about ten time before cracking.

And after it decides to run it likes to idle a little fast but when I start to let the clutch out the idle drops back down!

It ran perfect then wasn't ridden for six months, so I took it to a shop that cleaned and adjusted the carb.(I'm thinking that was a waste of $).

I eagerly await the DRZ guru's advice.

Thanks in advance, RH
treestrom is online now   Reply With Quote