Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #20911
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
There's this one it's a Shorai Lithium light weight and space saver.

Shorai Lithium Battery Duration Fits Suzuki DRZ400 E/S 2000-2011 LFX14A2-BS12

I have the same one in Phantom brand. Something like this one. (Different cca, Ah).

Phantom APP18A1-BS12 Motorcycle Battery LiFePO4 12V 18Ah 270CCA

DR650SEDDY screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 11:28 AM
DR650SEDDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #20912
Greebe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Turn Tech Bat

I was just thinking about batteries the other day. I need to get something better than the standard batteries. Mine keep dying and I never seem to have luck with them, a year at best.

So I was looking at the Turn Tech batteries, specifically the 2.5 Ah version. Only issue I see is that the terminals are reversed from the standard battery.

Anyone use these and know how they hold up? The owner of TurnTech told me the DRZ400s is bad about draining and killing batteries and this could affect his as well. What do you guys think?
Greebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #20913
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
There's this one it's a Shorai Lithium light weight and space saver.

Shorai Lithium Battery Duration Fits Suzuki DRZ400 E/S 2000-2011 LFX14A2-BS12

I have the same one in Phantom brand. Something like this one. (Different cca, Ah).

Phantom APP18A1-BS12 Motorcycle Battery LiFePO4 12V 18Ah 270CCA

That's the one I jad on my DR350SE and it was a beast. Perfect battery. After going through 3 this one made it for the long haul.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #20914
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebe View Post
The owner of TurnTech told me the DRZ400s is bad about draining and killing batteries and this could affect his as well. What do you guys think?
I don't think you're going to get the most out of any battery if you're still running the stock DRZ dashboard. I use the TT Vapor, which seems to have much lower electrical needs when the bike is switched off, hence no need for the tender. IMO.
Starchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #20915
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
Thanks for the link on the drz ride report. I'm considering riding mine from vermont to Montana next spring. When I mentioned that as I was picking up oil the other day, the guy behind the counter did a big . Guess there's crazier out there.

I need to make up my mind about keeping it or getting something bigger. Then I get to outfit whichever bike I pick with all the Long haul shit over the winter.

Looking for an exhaust which adds power but not noise. Not sure there is such a thing.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #20916
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Has anyone installed one of these on they DRZ? I'm thinking this would be a great thing for those of US that load the electric system down with heated grips,vest & Gps.
<b><font color="#FF0000">SALE PRICE!</font> </b> DRZ400S-KLX400S Battery Upgrade Kit HTP7-3-31
I put one on my 2005 DRZ400s a few months back. Had to do some trimming on the fender and drill two holes (and one finger) but it fits and works fine.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #20917
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Cigar lighter / accessory socket feed?

Hi guys,
I'm fitting a cigar lighter / accessory socket to my 03, and was wondering if I should wire directly to the battery via a fuse, or try and splice into the loom?
If it's the latter which wire is favoured and what colour is it, and also what size fuse should I use as all I'm taking off is a sat nav?
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #20918
imnothng
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm fitting a cigar lighter / accessory socket to my 03, and was wondering if I should wire directly to the battery via a fuse, or try and splice into the loom?
If it's the latter which wire is favoured and what colour is it, and also what size fuse should I use as all I'm taking off is a sat nav?
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
I hooked my USB port right into the ignition harness. I use my clymers to figure out which wire was only active with the key on. I think it was the wire to the tail light or something. I'm NOT saying that's the right way, but its seemed to work so far. I'll try to get more details later.
imnothng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #20919
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 246
3 x 3

WOW....Can't believe the difference. Here's what I did 3x3 airbox mod, new air filter, 27.5 pilot jet, 150 main jet, one shim under needle jet. Took the m/c for a short ride and all I can say is WOW. I did a similar mod to my KLR and I didn't get this kind of results. Now to go hit some dirt.
Happy Veteran's day
Nam 68-69
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #20920
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
Hi guys,
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
I hooked my USB port right into the ignition harness. I use my clymers to figure out which wire was only active with the key on. I think it was the wire to the tail light or something. I'm NOT saying that's the right way, but its seemed to work so far. I'll try to get more details later.
It depends on if you want the satnav to be powered all the time (unswitched), or to only work with the key turned on (switched). Hardwiring to the battery (with an inline fuse) has its advantages, but you have to remember to turn the device off when you park the bike, maybe even unplug it all together if there's any significant drain on the battery (to charge an internal battery, etc.). I have a 2 amp fuse on mine.

If you splice into the harness, I think any solid red line should be hot unswitched, and I think the solid orange are hot switched. Same with the solid brown taillight wire, as mentioned above.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #20921
dirtmech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
WOW....Can't believe the difference. Here's what I did 3x3 airbox mod, new air filter, 27.5 pilot jet, 150 main jet, one shim under needle jet. Took the m/c for a short ride and all I can say is WOW. I did a similar mod to my KLR and I didn't get this kind of results. Now to go hit some dirt.
Happy Veteran's day
Nam 68-69
what jet kit did you use?
Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #20922
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,704
Thermostat?

I have been following along with the discussion about thermostats and have a few questions. So, if I understand this right E and S models don't have thermostats but SM's do? If that is true then that would explain the wide swings in temperature shown on my temp gauge. Again, if I understood the discussion correctly I could retrofit the parts off a SM to have a thermostat on the S...correct? Thanks!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #20923
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I have been following along with the discussion about thermostats and have a few questions. So, if I understand this right E and S models don't have thermostats but SM's do? If that is true then that would explain the wide swings in temperature shown on my temp gauge. Again, if I understood the discussion correctly I could retrofit the parts off a SM to have a thermostat on the S...correct? Thanks!
I think the E is the only one without a t-stat.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #20924
blaster11
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
I think the E is the only one without a t-stat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
S should have a thermostat.
Interesting....since when I get moving the temp will drop down to a displayed 140 to 145 degree range many times. Maybe it has more to do with the placement of the sensor in the left radiator or maybe someone messed with it....I guess this will take a bit more investigation. Just as a bit more information when I pull the cap and run the engine it acts as if it does have a thermostat, meaning water doesn't flow immediately. But if you just watch the temp gauge there can be huge fluctuations.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #20925
blaster11
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
The best place for the sensor is in the head.
Agreed, I just used the default location in the Vapor directions.....I may have to reconsider that. Is their a location in the head for a sensor already....sorry I am kind of out of commission or I would go look/investigate for myself.