User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #196
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,074
[quote=jgas]

What pipe/silencer mods actually work? I need to keep it quiet though.
quote]

I have a FMF hi-flow header and a Powercore IV can/midpipe, with a FMF Quiet Core silencer baffle. Without the baffle, the noise is ridiculously loud, but with the baffle, it's pretty nice, and just a tad quieter than my '03 450exc (with the stock can). I never rode a stock DRZ, but rode a DRZ-s with flatside carb and stock exhaust, and my bike actually felt faster (yes, mine is jetted w/ 3x3 airbox mod as well).
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #197
arkie6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
I love my DRZ, and would turn it into a full DS mount, (mine's an E model), but when I gear it for nasty woods, there's no top end speed. Why, oh why, didn't they put in a sixth gear? Oh, well. I have my KTM for that. My KTM actually has too much power for woods, (520), but the DRZ needs a couple more ponies. Just a couple and it would be perfect.

What pipe/silencer mods actually work? I need to keep it quiet though.
Gaston, I've got a Muzzy full exhaust with quiet insert and JD jet kit + Taffy mod on my '02 DRZ-400E. You need to ride it sometime. Maybe at the DS rally at Clarksville in Oct or sooner if I can ever make it back to Brock Creek.

The Muzzy without the quiet core was just way too loud for me. With the quiet core it is still a bit louder than I prefer, but tolerable. Makes for better throttle response though and sheds a few pounds of weight compared to stock. Less expensive than a Yosh also.

Alan
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #198
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Thumb

One thing I like about the lack of DRZ power, is it wheelies great! I rode a quarter mile wheelie the other day! Just enough power to keep it up without too much fear of flipping. On my KTM 520 I always have my foot hovering over the rear brake, On the DRZ, just chop the throttle, front end drops. Easy!
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #199
dr650jammer
Crank it up

Oddometer: 25
burp

yeh well i am riding my dr650 again for the next 2 days while they get the parts i need wich is 15front sproket.
anyone running the 15/45 ? and whats it like through tight sections.
also i am getitng the 17 litre safari ntank instead of getting radiator guards so whats yah thouhgts on it being safe?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #200
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr650jammer
yeh well i am riding my dr650 again for the next 2 days while they get the parts i need wich is 15front sproket.
anyone running the 15/45 ? and whats it like through tight sections.
also i am getitng the 17 litre safari ntank instead of getting radiator guards so whats yah thouhgts on it being safe?
The 'E' comes with a 45 rear down there? Hmm.

I considered 15/47 (14/44) a good dual-sport ratio. 14/47 for all day woods riding or off-road events. In the US 15/44 was the stock ratio on 'S' models. Personally I found it too tall for tight sections with rocks and hills. Perhaps that's just me.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #201
DGETHIS
You say Jump.I say HOWHI!

Oddometer: 42
two bikes... which one

hey guys im in a 50-50 right here and could use some advise..

got two DRZ400S's

ones a 2000
the other a 2005

heres the info and there stats.. let me know

DRZ-400S. Great shape. Tons of extras like full yoshimura titanium exhaust, race tech front end, ohlins rear shock, new dunlop street tires (not shown on bike) and many more. These items alone worth more than asking price for bike.. mileage 14,000 RK Gold Chain
dynojet to match exhaust and airflow

I have done extensive modifications to make it more trail-worthy, including knobby tires, skid plate, radiator guards, new handlebars, re-jet the carb, etc. It is GREAT on the trail, providing a lot of power and a stable platform for fire roads or single track riding. 3.8 tank UFO tail lights

I've spent about $1,000 in upgrades and modifications. The bike was bought new in February, 2005 and has been ridden on the trails fewer than 10 times (which is why I'm selling it - with small kids, no time to ride!) I haven't checked the actual mileage, but it's probably less than 1,000 miles.

What seems like a better deal?

the 2000 wants 2700-- im sure i could talk him down to 2300
and the 05 wants 4200.. im sure i could talk him down to 3700
DGETHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #202
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,332
If you can get the first one for $2300 that's not a bad deal. It's got some miles on it but you could part that bike out for probably more than he's asking on eBay. The only down side to the 00/01 bikes is the suspension and he's mroe than corrected that!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #203
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
...I believe it was in the "On" position. The Petcock never would shut-off in any postion On/Res/Prime whether the bike was running or not. Just a big ole piece of shit. The Manual old fashioned style is way better IMO!
The stock petcock will leak (or just flow freely, in my case) if there is some dirt that holds the diaphram open. A $20 Yamaha manual petcock fits perfectly on my Clarke tank, and fixes the problem forever. Thumpertalk.com has all the info and part numbers.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #204
Dukeryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
The stock petcock will leak (or just flow freely, in my case) if there is some dirt that holds the diaphram open. A $20 Yamaha manual petcock fits perfectly on my Clarke tank, and fixes the problem forever. Thumpertalk.com has all the info and part numbers.
Yup that's what I used to fix it! Used the 1999 Yamaha WR400 Pet-Cock!!! I think it was not much more than $20 either (I got it from Ron Ayers). My motor will not be full of gas again!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #205
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGETHIS
What seems like a better deal?

the 2000 wants 2700-- im sure i could talk him down to 2300
and the 05 wants 4200.. im sure i could talk him down to 3700
I see that the 2000 has had a suspension re-valve which is nice, but it would seem that it's still the stock dampening rod forks and less adjustable rear-shock.
Shoot for a 2002 or newer 'S' model to get the 'E' suspension bits... they do make a difference.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #206
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 347
Is it twooo what they say about 28L Safari tanks - that if a DRZ has one there isn't any need for radiator guards?

Answer option 1:
It's twooo! It's twooo!

Answer option 2:
Only the common clay would believe that. You know, morons.

wide open screwed with this post 09-26-2007 at 01:26 PM
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #207
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Does the DRZ-E model need the different petcock? I havn't had this problem on either of my E models, but maybe I was lucky!
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #208
arkie6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
Does the DRZ-E model need the different petcock? I havn't had this problem on either of my E models, but maybe I was lucky!
I think it's just a problem with the S models which have vacuum operated petcocks - vacuum diaghram developes a leak - engine fills with gasoline via the vacuum port.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #209
Dukeryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6
I think it's just a problem with the S models which have vacuum operated petcocks - vacuum diaghram developes a leak - engine fills with gasoline via the vacuum port.

YES it's only the S models that suffer. I suggest anyone who hasn't yet, should replace their S pet-cock.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #210
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
YES it's only the S models that suffer. I suggest anyone who hasn't yet, should replace their S pet-cock.
..well, & the SM.
Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote