Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #21481
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I sold my klr650 awhile back because I was not riding it off road (too heavy). I ended up with a 2013 vstrom 650 that I love. I am missing the thumper a bit though. I am thinking now I might want to get an off road bike. I was thinking of the new Honda crf250l but am worried it might be too underpowered for my 215lbs. fat ass. I am now thinking of a drz400s but am worried about the weight. Now I need to break it to the wife that I need a second bike after I just spent 10k on a new one. For those that have ridden both KLR650 and DRZ400s , how much lighter does the drz400 feel over the klr?

I really liked my KLR but it was just waaaay too underpowered and under sprung. I threw money at it to improve both the power and handling but only ended up with a better riding, slow, over priced motorcycle!

After riding my GS the KLR felt like a dirt bike and then the DRZ feels like a mini bike (handling and weight speaking). My DRZ (2011) is a hoot and I have a hard time deciding on riding the GS or DRZ a lot of times. I like the DRZ much better off road (fire trails, gravel etc.) than the KLR. The KLR was fine on gravel roads but much more than that become a bit piggish. On the road the DRZ can run right along with the KLR at any pace. The DRZ will do everything the KLR can do but do it easier and faster. If the DRZ had a 650-700cc power plant it would probably be the only bike I would own.

For the record I am 6'3'' @ 235#

my $.02

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #21482
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
It's the age old question, isn't it?
I had a klr650 and a klx250s. Loved the combination.
Bought the drz, loved it. Eventually sold the klx.
Sold the klr and went through a lot if bikes before getting a Wee. Wee and drz. Pretty hard to beat.

Then out of the blue, I kind of ended up with another klr and sold the Wee!

I dunno. Drz is certainly better sprung and more agile and lighter than klr, but it's no racer. Right now I choose between the klr and the drz based on where I'm going, (the klr has more streetable tires on it at the moment.)

Love the drz, but wish it were lighter, and I'm only 180#.

Try one, is about all I can advise.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #21483
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I sold my klr650 awhile back because I was not riding it off road (too heavy). I ended up with a 2013 vstrom 650 that I love. I am missing the thumper a bit though. I am thinking now I might want to get an off road bike. I was thinking of the new Honda crf250l but am worried it might be too underpowered for my 215lbs. fat ass. I am now thinking of a drz400s but am worried about the weight. Now I need to break it to the wife that I need a second bike after I just spent 10k on a new one. For those that have ridden both KLR650 and DRZ400s , how much lighter does the drz400 feel over the klr?
I may get shunned for this but if you are looking for strictly off road then the Yamaha WR or the Honda CRFX. I'd you are looking for dual sport enduro then drz400. The crfl is the same weight with less power. Fuel injection on the crfl is a plus though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #21484
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Anyone else cracked a rear rim on their DRZ? I found a crack on the right edge/shoulder at the seam when I pulled the old tire off last Saturday.

Got it welded at a local shop yesterday, I ws lucky to find anyone open.

Just wondering.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #21485
SierraCB
wadahp

Oddometer: 73
Currently have a 2000 Kicker that has been a problem since I picked it up. Seriously frustrating carb problems with the Non-MX FCR...

Moral of the story is should I keep it and put an MX-FCR in it? 600 bucks sucks when I've already put 300 into a POS carb that still won't work and that I F'd up on and stripped a float bowl screw holes threads.

Got the bike for 800 bucks... Still worth it?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #21486
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCB View Post
Currently have a 2000 Kicker that has been a problem since I picked it up. Seriously frustrating carb problems with the Non-MX FCR...

Moral of the story is should I keep it and put an MX-FCR in it? 600 bucks sucks when I've already put 300 into a POS carb that still won't work and that I F'd up on and stripped a float bowl screw holes threads.

Got the bike for 800 bucks... Still worth it?
Worth it if carb is only issue for sure! I have the E with the FCR carb, and it's a pretty easygoing carburetor, it seems to me. Clean the jets, Eddie mod on the accelerator pump, and it screams with no bogging and decent fuel burn.

Float bowl doesn't take much torque. I'd get a cheapo rebuild kit to make sure the little o-rings, seals, and accel pump diaphragm are good. Then just drill and tap the float bowl screw to a slightly larger size, or maybe a tiny helicoil. Buy a couple new jets if yours are seriously screwed up, and go ride.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #21487
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I got the carb off my sm with no real issues, only to find the float bowl screws way over-torqued. I soaked then with liquid wrench, but no dice, the screw heads were going to strip before they budged on 2 of the screws. So frustrating. I got the carb back in, and of course the same issue is present.

I'm at a loss at this point. If I can't get to the freaking pilot jet, how can I clear it out? Soak the whole carb in simple green?
texag10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #21488
TossingLead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
texag10 where are you located? I'm sure someone can give you a hand. Have you been over on the Thumpertalk forum?
TossingLead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #21489
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by texag10 View Post
I got the carb off my sm with no real issues, only to find the float bowl screws way over-torqued. I soaked then with liquid wrench, but no dice, the screw heads were going to strip before they budged on 2 of the screws. So frustrating. I got the carb back in, and of course the same issue is present.

I'm at a loss at this point. If I can't get to the freaking pilot jet, how can I clear it out? Soak the whole carb in simple green?
A great tool to have in a hand impact driver to help remove screws. Here is one example;

You have to be sure you have the right philips head bit that fits the same screws.

If you do not have a hand impact driver then try this;
Take the bit and place in the screw head then tap the bit with a hammer. Notice I said tap. You are not driving in nails. Since this is a small screw one only need to tap. The tapping of the bit does 2 things; 1. It helps seat the bit into the screw head, to help from stripping the head. 2. IT helps loose up the screw.

Once you have tap the bit into the screw head, then try to take the screw out. Be sure that when you are turning the screw driver, put plenty of down force to keep the tip in the screw head so it will not strip.

If you strip the screw head then one will have to try use vise grips. If the vise grips do not work a small punch.chisel.

IF none of that works then get a bigger hammer and ......

When you get the screws out replace with allen head screws. Take a old screw to you local nut and bolt store (Fast-nall) or order them on line.

Good luck!!!

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #21490
redirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:

You can also grind the screw heads off, worst case(I had to do 2). Did you try a JIS head screwdriver? Also second the suggestion to get Allen head fasteners for replacement.
redirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #21491
SierraCB
wadahp

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
Worth it if carb is only issue for sure! I have the E with the FCR carb, and it's a pretty easygoing carburetor, it seems to me. Clean the jets, Eddie mod on the accelerator pump, and it screams with no bogging and decent fuel burn.

Float bowl doesn't take much torque. I'd get a cheapo rebuild kit to make sure the little o-rings, seals, and accel pump diaphragm are good. Then just drill and tap the float bowl screw to a slightly larger size, or maybe a tiny helicoil. Buy a couple new jets if yours are seriously screwed up, and go ride.
Psycho
It's been a major carb issue though. I've replaced all jets, float bowl gasket, idle screw, diaphram, cables, needle, air screw, basically everything to no avail. One issue is fixed then another comes up. Majorly sucks.

That's why I figured that my only other option would be to get an MX-FCR to replace my slant body
Old 12-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #21492
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
So what's wrong with the carb now? Just the stripped float bowl screws? Both my fcr's did that. I just drilled the holes a little larger and put machine screws through the holes with nuts on the other side. Makes field repairs a little tough but works fine when you have the carb off.

If you think that you might need another carb I have one here that has no float bowl on it, I used it for my other carb that I sold on my on klx. I also think I have a new in the package accelerator pump diaphragm and some misc o rings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #21493
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I'm going to post to thumpertalk this evening. I'm in The mid-cities area of DFW near the airport.

New plan of attack:

Remove carb
Get screws out with an extractor for stripped heads.
Blast with carb cleaner, hit with compressed air, and poke jets to make sure they're clear.
Replace screws with allen head bolts.
Re-install carb while cursing heartily.
Hopefully have a running bike.
Ride the tires off the thing so it never sits long enough to have this happen again.

I sincerely appreciate all the help and advice.
texag10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #21494
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
I'm going to post to thumpertalk this evening. I'm in The mid-cities area of DFW near the airport.

New plan of attack:

Remove carb
Get screws out with an extractor for stripped heads.
Blast with carb cleaner, hit with compressed air, and poke jets to make sure they're clear.
Replace screws with allen head bolts.
Re-install carb while cursing heartily.
Hopefully have a running bike.
Ride the tires off the thing so it never sits long enough to have this happen again.

I sincerely appreciate all the help and advice.
That seems like a great plan! Too bad the float bowl screws are giving issues. It's always something seemingly minor that's the frustrating part of a repair. Hang with it, and the payoff will be worth it, plus you'll learn (painfully) a bunch about your new scoot.

I've had luck with dremel or hacksaw all the way across a bolt head and use a wide flathead screwdriver to remove stuck/stripping bolts. It puts a bit more torque on there, since the pressure is at the edge of the bolt, vs the center. That hand impact tool has been used a ton in my garage over the years...a must have tool I'd say.

Good luck!

Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #21495
hizzo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
+1 on the dremel method. The previous owner loctite the brake res cover screws. Just cover everything you Dont want metal shavings in with a paper towel.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote