Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #21556
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use View Post
I ordered a front MT21 today and the man asked what size. I said 21 inch as I said it's for the front.
He said 80/90 or 90/90. i went with the 90/90. Is this the usual size to get as this is my first mT21?
80/100 is the stock size (relative unusual), and 90/90 is the most common substitution (people tend to think wider tires are better), but 80/90 is fine too. It's not a huge deal. It will make your speedo/odo read slightly higher.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #21557
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
I have 80/100 kenda trakmaster on mine.

You like it? I had a set on my bike previously. I wore out the rear in 700 miles of mostly dirt, front looked good still but I didn't like the front so I swapped it to a MX-71, which has been outstanding. The front seemed to have bad directional traction, the front would wash out sideways in anything but a mild turn.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 AM   #21558
imnothng
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
You like it? I had a set on my bike previously. I wore out the rear in 700 miles of mostly dirt, front looked good still but I didn't like the front so I swapped it to a MX-71, which has been outstanding. The front seemed to have bad directional traction, the front would wash out sideways in anything but a mild turn.
To be honest it's the only tire I've ever had offroad. I just really got into offroad last year. I like the price of them though and that's why I've bought three sets so far.
imnothng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #21559
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Completely different riding conditions, between Arizona and Canada.
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #21560
winta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Recently been on the search to buy my first bike ever!....decided on a drz400,but i have so few options in my area so i'm looking at a couple and would like some thoughts on them. Any advice would be very appreciated. I will probably use it as 80/20 road/dirt so i really want to buy a street legal drz.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4209997736.html

The guy has certificate of origin from the dealership he bought the drz400e from.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4255757913.html

This one cost more and is street legal but there is no electric start.
winta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #21561
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Aftermarket parts, specialty; any interest?

I'm an aspiring industrial designer and every day motorcyclist with a DRZ400, here is my question; to build up my portfolio I've been developing some parts for the DRZ and am curious if others would be interested in buying some parts to keep me going and to get feedback, as well as to fill voids in the aftermarket part sector.
As of right now I only have a few basic test parts and still doing troubleshooting and materials gathering but if there is enough interest I will start an etsy store or sell directly through the marketplace. I have quite a few ideas at the moment but in a sense I am fishing for what people are most interested in, so please do comment or send me a message if there is anything you really want me to make.
Currently the materials I am working with are Carbon fiber, Kevlar and Aluminum.
The current list of parts to make are as follows:
-Foot-peg underside sliders for OE footpegs; kevlar.
-Frame guard panels for directly above the foot-pegs (where the paint always rubs off); Kevlar or carbon.
-Skid plate components; carbon, Kevlar or aluminum depending on component.
-Rear linkage guard; Kevlar.
-Rear brake guard; Kevlar or aluminum.
-Swing-arm underside guards; Kevlar or carbon
-Front brake reservoir guard for those who ride without bark busters; carbon, Kevlar, aluminum.
-Case savers; Kevlar, aluminum, carbon.
-Headlamp assembly; Kevlar, carbon or if you like living dangerously, aluminum.
-Chain guard; kevlar.
-Exhaust guard for fmf exhaust; undecided.
-Water pump cover; kevlar or aluminum.
-Side stand kill switch assembly replacement (two mounting bolts) accent; kevlar or carbon. I would recommend Kevlar.
-Kick stand guard and slider; kevlar or carbon.
-Rear brake hose guides (I just don't like the look of the plastic ones.); kevlar or carbon.

If you have any further ideas simply tell me!
An example of the Kevlar I am working with:
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #21562
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
I'm an aspiring industrial designer and every day motorcyclist
Nice to see the DRZ getting some love.

May I suggest you start a thread in "Vendors" (read the rules there), and link it to your signature, as to not clog this thread and possibly get booted buy the mods.

Keep at it

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #21563
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by winta View Post
Recently been on the search to buy my first bike ever!....decided on a drz400,but i have so few options in my area so i'm looking at a couple and would like some thoughts on them. Any advice would be very appreciated. I will probably use it as 80/20 road/dirt so i really want to buy a street legal drz.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4209997736.html

The guy has certificate of origin from the dealership he bought the drz400e from.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4255757913.html

This one cost more and is street legal but there is no electric start.
How hard will it be for you to get the E registered? The electric start is a must have.
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #21564
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuzz View Post
How hard will it be for you to get the E registered? The electric start is a must have.
its pretty easy in wv
put i don't know about your state
Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #21565
winta
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuzz View Post
I'm not really sure how to pursue that process. Looks like it already has head/tail lights so maybe i would just need to buy turn signals,mirror dot tires etc...
Oh and i'm in indiana btw
Old 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #21566
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
I'm an aspiring industrial designer and every day motorcyclist with a DRZ400, here is my question; to build up my portfolio I've been developing some parts for the DRZ and am curious if others would be interested in buying some parts to keep me going and to get feedback, as well as to fill voids in the aftermarket part sector.
As of right now I only have a few basic test parts and still doing troubleshooting and materials gathering but if there is enough interest I will start an etsy store or sell directly through the marketplace. I have quite a few ideas at the moment but in a sense I am fishing for what people are most interested in, so please do comment or send me a message if there is anything you really want me to make.
Currently the materials I am working with are Carbon fiber, Kevlar and Aluminum.
The current list of parts to make are as follows:
-Foot-peg underside sliders for OE footpegs; kevlar.
-Frame guard panels for directly above the foot-pegs (where the paint always rubs off); Kevlar or carbon.
-Skid plate components; carbon, Kevlar or aluminum depending on component.
-Rear linkage guard; Kevlar.
-Rear brake guard; Kevlar or aluminum.
-Swing-arm underside guards; Kevlar or carbon
-Front brake reservoir guard for those who ride without bark busters; carbon, Kevlar, aluminum.
-Case savers; Kevlar, aluminum, carbon.
-Headlamp assembly; Kevlar, carbon or if you like living dangerously, aluminum.
-Chain guard; kevlar.
-Exhaust guard for fmf exhaust; undecided.
-Water pump cover; kevlar or aluminum.
-Side stand kill switch assembly replacement (two mounting bolts) accent; kevlar or carbon. I would recommend Kevlar.
-Kick stand guard and slider; kevlar or carbon.
-Rear brake hose guides (I just don't like the look of the plastic ones.); kevlar or carbon.

If you have any further ideas simply tell me!
An example of the Kevlar I am working with:
Probably obvious, but before you go too far, I would suggest seeing what is on the market. The ThumperTalk store has a lot of DRZ stuff.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #21567
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
I'm not really sure how to pursue that process. Looks like it already has head/tail lights so maybe i would just need to buy turn signals,mirror dot tires etc...
Oh and i'm in indiana btw

In Indiana you'll have no problem plating it. My 2011 S is plated as it comes from the factory with lights, signals and such. I plated a WR450F by adding lights, mirrors and signals with no problem. IIRC I didn't even have to have a police inspection waiver done on it............just took the title in, applied for a new one and got a registration and plate. Make sure to take your proof of insurance with you.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #21568
winta
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
In Indiana you'll have no problem plating it. My 2011 S is plated as it comes from the factory with lights, signals and such. I plated a WR450F by adding lights, mirrors and signals with no problem. IIRC I didn't even have to have a police inspection waiver done on it............just took the title in, applied for a new one and got a registration and plate. Make sure to take your proof of insurance with you.

I asked the guy for vin # and he replied: "as far as vin I purchased this bike from bloomington powersports I have all the paperwork and will show you if you decide to come look at it thanks"......he has the certificate of origin.

Is is normal for dirt bikes not to have vin on them or is this suspicious?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #21569
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
I asked the guy for vin # and he replied: "as far as vin I purchased this bike from bloomington powersports I have all the paperwork and will show you if you decide to come look at it thanks"......he has the certificate of origin.

No the C of O is normal for off road bikes as it serves as the title and it has to match the bike #'s. That's how the BMV differentiates the models, street or non street. Add a DS kit to it, probably have to have law officer look at it to sign the waiver (stating it has the road equipment on it) then your good to go. Not a big deal.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/20870/i/baja-designs-dual-sport-kit?SiteID=Google_PLA652&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNvo-dWo6LsCFcxAMgodRUgAig

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-06-2014, 02:49 AM   #21570
imnothng
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:

They have VIN's. But it is normal for the owners not to have ownerships (that's what we call the piece of paper with your name and address with the VIN proving that you do own it).
imnothng is offline   Reply With Quote