Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #21586
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Nicely set up DRZ for sale in the Rockies forum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12916
Why thank you!! I didnt want to solicit in this thread but.... SOMEONE BUY MY DRZ hahah
Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #21587
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Zamboni View Post
C
On a side note, I was wondering if anybody knew of an aftermarket non-locking fuel cap for the stock 400S model tank. I was riding home from work in the snow tonight and nearly ran out of gas cause i could not get the lock to function due to ice in the tumblers. survived 20mi on reserve. Needed a heat gun when I got home. Now I have the desire for a non-locking cap to avoid this issue in the future.
you can remove the locking mechanism from the stock cap. i forget the exact steps, but just take the cap off and start taking it apart from the "underneath"...it becomes obvious what to remove. going purely from memory, there are two little "latch" thingies that stick out. you take a plate off the bottom or something like that and then you can pull those two latch thingies out. put it all back together without the latches and you have a non-locking cap.

(i had an issue with it freezing up and not being able to get the key in it as well...so i turned it into a non-locking cap.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #21588
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
I just did mine, flip the cap over you will see 2 screws. Take them out and the bracket will come off and two arms will come off with it along with a couple small springs. reinstall bracket and scews, locktite wouldn't be a bad idea.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #21589
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
I'm an aspiring industrial designer and every day motorcyclist with a DRZ400, here is my question; to build up my portfolio I've been developing some parts for the DRZ and am curious if others would be interested in buying some parts to keep me going and to get feedback, as well as to fill voids in the aftermarket part sector.
Since you are in the exploration phase, and not yet a vendor, I'll offer a couple of suggestions. My experience is that the DRZ gets even heavier as parts get added, so I would be more interested in someone filling voids in the market with things don't weigh a lot.

Battery box / tool roll holder combo
Lighter skid plate that also protects the side cases
Decent fairing that would allow a bit more room for wiring, horn, instruments, GPS, etc and perhaps use either the stock headlight or a better replacement
OR Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #21590
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
Why thank you!! I didnt want to solicit in this thread but.... SOMEONE BUY MY DRZ hahah
Is a 5% commission acceptable?

I'm curious about something. As another high elevation rider, how did you like the DRZ on steep technical climbs? Any engine mods other than the exhaust?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #21591
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Ahaha, sure thing if you sell it for the CL listed price of 2800$

The DRZ has an tuned FCR and exhaust, nothing else. At elevation it didnt struggle much at all. I would typically have it geared 13/48 which crawls along up almost any hill. Never had a problem, it was great to do some hill climbs back to back with a buddies WR250r (All stock). He was winded and couldnt make it up a hill, i would make it to the top and ride his bike up. No wonder he was so winded, the low end torque on the DRZ put the WR to shame. Sorry WR folks, its true.

Low gearing, trials tire and the extra displacement of the Z really made up for any altitude loss.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #21592
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
Ahaha, sure thing if you sell it for the CL listed price of 2800$

The DRZ has an tuned FCR and exhaust, nothing else. At elevation it didnt struggle much at all. I would typically have it geared 13/48 which crawls along up almost any hill. Never had a problem, it was great to do some hill climbs back to back with a buddies WR250r (All stock). He was winded and couldnt make it up a hill, i would make it to the top and ride his bike up. No wonder he was so winded, the low end torque on the DRZ put the WR to shame. Sorry WR folks, its true.

Low gearing, trials tire and the extra displacement of the Z really made up for any altitude loss.
I think that's about the same kind of gearing I had for single track. Did you do much highway with that gearing?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #21593
hizzo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I tried 13/48 on highway. Rev limiter was at 70 mph. Cruse speed was around 50. Just watch the swing arm.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

hizzo3 screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 03:24 PM
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #21594
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzo3 View Post
I tried 13/48 on highway. Rev limiter was at 70 mph. Cruse speed was around 50. Just watch the swing arm.
What do you mean?
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #21595
hizzo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
The 400 can wear through the swingarm chain slider with a 13t counter. If you don't catch it, it will start eating into the aluminum.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #21596
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,378

Thank you

Quote:
hizzo3 The 400 can wear through the swingarm chain slider with a 13t counter. If you don't catch it, it will start eating into the aluminum.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #21597
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I've set up my E with 15/43 gearing. It's tall enuff to cruise at 70, low enuff to climb about anything I'm likely to try.

Comments?

Finally got the new tires with TuBliss installed. So far seems fine. I've checked the pressure twice over the last week and have lost no pressure. Only ridden it locally so far, need to get out and GO! someplace.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #21598
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
I've set up my E with 15/43 gearing. It's tall enuff to cruise at 70, low enuff to climb about anything I'm likely to try.

Comments?

Finally got the new tires with TuBliss installed. So far seems fine. I've checked the pressure twice over the last week and have lost no pressure. Only ridden it locally so far, need to get out and GO! someplace.
15/47 lets you cruise, and still do off road /single track. it's the ultimate compromise gearing on a compromise Bike

for dirt only, I'm enjoying 14 /53
for street , 15/ 39
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #21599
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
15/47 lets you cruise, and still do off road /single track. it's the ultimate compromise gearing on a compromise Bike

for dirt only, I'm enjoying 14 /53
for street , 15/ 39
Pretty sure I ran 14/51 or 15/51. I tend to pick odd number rear sprockets to avoid wear patterns. Lower gearing would scream on the highway, higher gearing would suck if I got stuck on a steep loose hill. Fanning the clutch invariably resulted in wheel spin. If my riding wasn't so wimpy, I would have held more speed & kept the engine in the power.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #21600
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,373
15/41. Cruise the highway and do fire/gravel roads nicely.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote