Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #21586
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
I've set up my E with 15/43 gearing. It's tall enuff to cruise at 70, low enuff to climb about anything I'm likely to try.

Comments?

Finally got the new tires with TuBliss installed. So far seems fine. I've checked the pressure twice over the last week and have lost no pressure. Only ridden it locally so far, need to get out and GO! someplace.
15/47 lets you cruise, and still do off road /single track. it's the ultimate compromise gearing on a compromise Bike

for dirt only, I'm enjoying 14 /53
for street , 15/ 39
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #21587
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
15/47 lets you cruise, and still do off road /single track. it's the ultimate compromise gearing on a compromise Bike

for dirt only, I'm enjoying 14 /53
for street , 15/ 39
Pretty sure I ran 14/51 or 15/51. I tend to pick odd number rear sprockets to avoid wear patterns. Lower gearing would scream on the highway, higher gearing would suck if I got stuck on a steep loose hill. Fanning the clutch invariably resulted in wheel spin. If my riding wasn't so wimpy, I would have held more speed & kept the engine in the power.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #21588
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,869
15/41. Cruise the highway and do fire/gravel roads nicely.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #21589
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 5,049
drz, oil cooler? anyone seen one/made one? would the drz benefit from one? I know the xr400 runs one, might be able to modify it to fit...just curious. I was looking over some dakar threads and I noticed all the dakar bikes (450s) run oil coolers. might be beneficial...
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #21590
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
oil temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
drz, oil cooler? anyone seen one/made one? would the drz benefit from one? I know the xr400 runs one, might be able to modify it to fit...just curious. I was looking over some dakar threads and I noticed all the dakar bikes (450s) run oil coolers. might be beneficial...
I would install a temperature gauge first. A dip-stick gauge might be available.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #21591
Brods1675
Giant

Oddometer: 130
Question Gearing and Carbies.

My green DRZ is running 13/47 gearing. I'm thinking about going to a 12 tooth on the front, for a laugh, to improve hill climbing, and my pathetic attempts at wheel standing!

On a side note. Is there anywhere you can get a carby rebuild kit for the 400e?

Local dealer tells me there's no kits and you just buy the individual bits. eBay yielded bugger-all in the way of results.

It's had a JD jetting kit put in recently with one a fuel screw added. However it still has a few issues down low and some of the internals look corroded.

Any advice appreciated.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/4158796
Brods1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #21592
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brods1675 View Post
My green DRZ is running 13/47 gearing. I'm thinking about going to a 12 tooth on the front, for a laugh, to improve hill climbing, and my pathetic attempts at wheel standing!

Local dealer tells me there's no kits and you just buy the individual bits. eBay yielded bugger-all in the way of results.

It's had a JD jetting kit put in recently with one a fuel screw added. However it still has a few issues down low and some of the internals look corroded.

Any advice appreciated.
13/whatever will eat your swingarm.

14/47 is drz-e stock, and very good.
15/47 is a better road/dirt 50/50 compromise

there is no kit needed to clean the carb, just stick guitar wire through the jets and rinse out the corners of the float bowels with fresh gas.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #21593
Brods1675
Giant

Oddometer: 130
thanks for the reply. I'm aware that lower gearing runs risks. I use this bike purely for off-road.

My friend who is a mechanic told me some of the carby internals needed fixing, but I'll have to find out specifically which bits.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/4158796
Brods1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #21594
Chef Gareth
Live 2 Ride

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
13/whatever will eat your swingarm.

14/47 is drz-e stock, and very good.
15/47 is a better road/dirt 50/50 compromise

there is no kit needed to clean the carb, just stick guitar wire through the jets and rinse out the corners of the float bowels with fresh gas.
+1 the 14/47 great for trail, just changed to a 15/47 combo and is the perfect 50/50 combo. I will however put the 14 back on for dirt only rides.
JR50 2006 (Daughters)
Chef Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #21595
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Gareth View Post
+1 the 14/47 great for trail, just changed to a 15/47 combo and is the perfect 50/50 combo. I will however put the 14 back on for dirt only rides.
+1
I went to 15/44 and was very pleased with it off road and on. Ive decided to go back to 15/47 to make it easier to tackle technical stuff at a slower pace if needed. I went 15/47 instead of 14/44 as I figure the larger diameter front sprocket will be easier on my chain. For a big trip I might slide an alloy 44 rear in my pannier. I reckon less issues with changing this compared to the front sprocket, and it is very light.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #21596
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
I would install a temperature gauge first. A dip-stick gauge might be available.

Art
If it's an E, just install a trail tech vapor. You can program two temperature warning lights. Liquid cooling usually precludes the need for an oil cooler on bikes.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #21597
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
install a radiator fan if you don't have one... turn it on for the rough stuff, then turn it of for everything else.

the only time my temp light has come on was after smashing my fan (disabling it) and climbing really nasty hills when the outside temperature was 103F.

if the fan works, and you have radiator fluid, its fine.

the oil cooler might actually strain the weak oil pressure
Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #21598
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brods1675 View Post

Any advice appreciated.
I bought an eBay rebuild kit for my E less than a year ago, and it worked like a champ. I talked to the vendor ahead of time to make sure I got the correct orings/seals as there are several flavors of FCR carbs out there. I didn't replace jets at that time, just rubber parts. I had a crack in my accel pump diaphragm that was causing serious bogging at the time. Not sure which carb you have...
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #21599
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
install a radiator fan if you don't have one... turn it on for the rough stuff, then turn it of for everything else.

the only time my temp light has come on was after smashing my fan (disabling it) and climbing really nasty hills when the outside temperature was 103F.

Good tip. I never did install a fan on my DRZ. All of my current bikes have been retrofitted with a fan. I'll never have a bike again without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
I bought an eBay rebuild kit for my E less than a year ago, and it worked like a champ. I talked to the vendor ahead of time to make sure I got the correct orings/seals as there are several flavors of FCR carbs out there. I didn't replace jets at that time, just rubber parts. I had a crack in my accel pump diaphragm that was causing serious bogging at the time. Not sure which carb you have...
Psycho
I battled jetting issues for 2 years on my E. The final fix appeared to be adjusting the squirt to the bare minimum. The symptoms manifested themselves on technical trails where you are using a lot of throttle modulation. All the modulation flooded the bike and caused it to start loading up. Long technical downhills also caused problems.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #21600
hizzo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:

I agree. I ran my DRZ pretty good doing CDR and had a blast this year (without fan). All I did was adjust the fluid to a 60/40 mix (water coolant) and put in some water wetter. Never once did I come close to being on the overly warm side regardless of temp/altitude, load on the engine. The climate, altitude, and terrain was enough to get the Ural riding with me to overheat a few times (take that as you will).

Also, a good trick I learned from Jeeping, drop it a gear. The more fluid you pump through the block and radiator cores, the more cooling capacity you have. Plus the engine works lighter since you have more power. Also since we don't have fans, it also will increase the air flowing through the radiator cause of increased speed.

Speed cures many ills of the drz... Thick sand, go faster. Getting warm, go faster, big hill, go faster... See a theme yet?

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

hizzo3 screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 08:40 AM
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote