Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #2161
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthump
I just got a street legal "E" model. It's not in bad shape. The radiators are both a little out of shape but still holding water. I pulled the rubber snorkel off the air box and will need to rejet. I was wondering what you guys are running for a silencer. I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in the stocker if an after market one is alot better.

I'm hoping to get it running good and do a few trips on it this summer.

Maybe you guys with some experience on this bike can tell me some problems to look out for.

Thanks
As far as the silencer, just remove the end cap. That way, if you want to be quite, you can just put it back on. If your not worried about being quite, then get a MRD exhaust (the MRD/SSW race pipe).
What to look for is all listed on TT http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397

MCCT- loctite CS, primary nut, stater bolts, clutch bolts- water pump leak-ect...
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #2162
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532

Looking good, do you have a source for the chains you are using?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #2163
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
I'm going to answer for Heath. They made them themselves last weekend. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in on the build, but they looked fairly successful.

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #2164
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
Hey guys,

Just returned from the Africa Race start in Marseille, where I had the chance to see a couple of slick DRZ400's. Riders are Carlo alberto MIGLIAZZA (#7) and Michele GALLIZIA (#8).
More pics on request. If you don't know about my thread on the Africa Race, then check it out here

Hey Tony - awesome pics!!! Any chance of seeing details around this fairing? I'd love to see where the got it - amazing look - and proof again that a DRZ is a magnificently versatile motorcycle platform.

thanks again!

cm

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #2165
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthump
I just got a street legal "E" model. It's not in bad shape. The radiators are both a little out of shape but still holding water. I pulled the rubber snorkel off the air box and will need to rejet. I was wondering what you guys are running for a silencer. I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in the stocker if an after market one is alot better.

I'm hoping to get it running good and do a few trips on it this summer.

Maybe you guys with some experience on this bike can tell me some problems to look out for.

Thanks
You won't have to rejet after removing the snorkle. I like my Muzzy full system-added a ton of power but Muzzy says its only 5hp. Before,I had a stocker with a regular end cap and one that had the inner portion cut out. Both had the same power but the cut out one was louder. If you want more power, you have to change the whole system. It will cost you ~$500 no matter which brand you choose. With my Muzzy I went up 2 sizes on the main jet, still might raise the needle a notch but the front wheel comes up super easy. If the bike is 00-02, do the MCCT mod and loctite the primary nut on the ignition side.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #2166
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
If the bike is 00-02, do the MCCT mod and loctite the primary nut on the ignition side.
If you're going to do the primary nut, it's damn smart to do the clutch/stator bolt loc-tite fixes too. Mine were loose, many many folks have done it and found their loose even on newer bikes with low miles.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...243&highlight=

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #2167
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Drz400

What can I say, just get out there and ride it. My "03" S model is just about to turn over 40,000 trouble free miles.
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #2168
Heath
Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus

Looking good, do you have a source for the chains you are using?
We just used machine twist chain with nuts and bolts run through, attached with D-rings to some shortened tie down straps from Harbor Freight. It was a little time consuming but overall not too bad. (Totally not worth the effort or expense ~ $60ish for 25 miles of riding ~ but it'll help stave off cabin fever.)
Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #2169
Nocode
Impassioned Rookie

Oddometer: 13
Hey all, I have been trying to find some answers in a couple of the threads here about crash bars. I think I may just be the odd man out for appreciating the look of an engine cage on a small bike. And I apologize in advance for any of you all who have seen this post before, but here goes...

Dillema:

I am on the hunt for a set of crash bars/engine guards for my 2000 DRZ-400S. I have tried searching the forums and the net, as well as asking to see the catalogs at the LBS. All to no avail, the nearest mention I have read is that the bike is considered a dirt bike and therefore isn't meant to carry the weight and bulkiness of racks up front. Additionally, the plastics of the bike are cheap and should be considered sacrifical, disposable.

Background:
I am a mechanical engineering student with little disposable income. My first bike was a Honda CB550 which I sold in order to help purchase the Suzuki. I haven't done any real touring yet, but I have thought about it since I bought the Honda. I have a background with adventure sports, I am an Eagle Scout, ultrlight hiker, and I love to play (read: wrench) around in shop/garage/apartment living room.

Upon graduation, I would like to take off a couple months for some sort of super-grandiose transcendental adventure where anything and everything could happen. I like the idea of having multipurpose equipment that is flexible and rugged. You all know the type; a real opportunity to make some memories, beat the shit out of some gear, tie stuff down, cram crap into duffel bags, etc. Dual-sporting seems like the perfect fit (although I am still trying to rig up a short-distance kayak trailer).

Intentions:
The DRZ is my first enduro, and what I love about it is its versatility. I probably wouldn't need the extra capacity of the front tank panniers as I am accustomed to ultralight camping already. The idea of the crash bars/engine guards for me, is 'what if...?' What if I did need them, what if I had to strap something else to the bike? Also, I like the rugged look of the bars and I am pursuing the addition of some extra lighting and would love to have extra bar-space to mount them. Finally, I have seen the cost of tanks and radiators and think that the assumed protection provided by the bars is reasonable for heavy road use.

Hopes:
Has anyone out there researched this with greater return? Are there, indeed, other DRZ or small-enduro owners out there who appreciate the balance of minimal added weight vs. potentially large usability? Any patterns out there for fabrication? Could a set of crash bars from another bike be modified to fit the DRZ? Am I just plain crazy for even suggesting the whole concept?

Thank you in advance for any opinions (agreeable or disagreeable) you all may provide. I am very hopeful for some responses, ADV has really been an excellent resource for project-ideas, and just general information/musings.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #2170
Cotthem
990Adv

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
Hey guys,

Just returned from the Africa Race start in Marseille, where I had the chance to see a couple of slick DRZ400's. Riders are Carlo alberto MIGLIAZZA (#7) and Michele GALLIZIA (#8).
More pics on request. If you don't know about my thread on the Africa Race, then check it out here

Those are cool bikes
Cotthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #2171
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotthem
Those are cool bikes
Very cool. Between the DRZ and the DL650, I can't believe Suzuki doesn't produce a version of either of these with some real rally/adventure-bike "attitude". It would be so easy for them and it would take a real bite out of KTM and BMW sales.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #2172
whitey222
occasionally adventurous

Oddometer: 1,134
Does anyone know of a supplier for DRZ rallye kits ? or at least a windshield that is high enough and strong enough to offer some protection to a roadbook holder and trip meter ?

I'm competing in the Yilgarn Rallye in April, and don't want my race to be over after the first crash.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #2173
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus
Hey Tony - awesome pics!!! Any chance of seeing details around this fairing? I'd love to see where the got it - amazing look - and proof again that a DRZ is a magnificently versatile motorcycle platform.

thanks again!

cm
Sure thing!

Cockpit view:

Frontal view:

The fairing used on one of the bikes (#8) is the standard KTM Adventure one. The other bike (#7) is a fairing used on plenty of rallye bikes, espescially ones from Italy! Just PM me if you want more info...

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #2174
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocode
Hey all, I have been trying to find some answers in a couple of the threads here about crash bars. I think I may just be the odd man out for appreciating the look of an engine cage on a small bike. And I apologize in advance for any of you all who have seen this post before, but here goes...

...snip...

Adam,

You won't need the kind of crash bars you see on V-Stroms and GS's, as those are for protecting the engine and gas tank, neither of which are in danger on the DRZ. When a DRZ eats it, the bars hit, as well as the pegs, but not the tank (at least not my plastic one, don't know about the metal ones). You can get stronger bars, as stockers aren't exactly robust if you want, but essentially, what gets bent, can usually be bent back with a pipe and some work.

Where the DRZ NEEDS protection is the radiators. I can't remember if you said you had some or not. I bought Flatland Racing brand, and I really like them. Also, my engine sides are magnesium (iirc), so a metal plate that you glue on is a good idea, as magnesium can shatter quite easily. Plates available at the Thumpertalk store (www.thumpertalk.com). Also, good forums there, so try the knowledge base there as well as here if you haven't already.

If you're going to do some real craziness, a beefier, metal skid plate may be in order.

For luggage, I would get a rear rack off of ebay which you could bungee a duffel bag to, and a tank saddle bag which you can find under the dual sport conversion section of www.procycle.us

For longevity, a manual cam chain tensioner is worth the small investment (MCCT).

-m
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #2175
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocode

Dillema:

I am on the hunt for a set of crash bars/engine guards for my 2000 DRZ-400S. I have tried searching the forums and the net, as well as asking to see the catalogs at the LBS. All to no avail, the nearest mention I have read is that the bike is considered a dirt bike and therefore isn't meant to carry the weight and bulkiness of racks up front. Additionally, the plastics of the bike are cheap and should be considered sacrifical, disposable.

Background:
I am a mechanical engineering student with little disposable income. My first bike was a Honda CB550 which I sold in order to help purchase the Suzuki. I haven't done any real touring yet, but I have thought about it since I bought the Honda. I have a background with adventure sports, I am an Eagle Scout, ultrlight hiker, and I love to play (read: wrench) around in shop/garage/apartment living room.

Upon graduation, I would like to take off a couple months for some sort of super-grandiose transcendental adventure where anything and everything could happen. I like the idea of having multipurpose equipment that is flexible and rugged. You all know the type; a real opportunity to make some memories, beat the shit out of some gear, tie stuff down, cram crap into duffel bags, etc. Dual-sporting seems like the perfect fit (although I am still trying to rig up a short-distance kayak trailer).

Intentions:
The DRZ is my first enduro, and what I love about it is its versatility. I probably wouldn't need the extra capacity of the front tank panniers as I am accustomed to ultralight camping already. The idea of the crash bars/engine guards for me, is 'what if...?' What if I did need them, what if I had to strap something else to the bike? Also, I like the rugged look of the bars and I am pursuing the addition of some extra lighting and would love to have extra bar-space to mount them. Finally, I have seen the cost of tanks and radiators and think that the assumed protection provided by the bars is reasonable for heavy road use.

Hopes:
Has anyone out there researched this with greater return? Are there, indeed, other DRZ or small-enduro owners out there who appreciate the balance of minimal added weight vs. potentially large usability? Any patterns out there for fabrication? Could a set of crash bars from another bike be modified to fit the DRZ? Am I just plain crazy for even suggesting the whole concept?

Thank you in advance for any opinions (agreeable or disagreeable) you all may provide. I am very hopeful for some responses, ADV has really been an excellent resource for project-ideas, and just general information/musings.

Thanks,
Adam
If you want a good, reliable adventure bike, I would recommend getting the usual TT case savor, radiator guards, and manual cam chain pensioner (also thumpertalk). For luggage there are many routes, some people like dirtbagz, you can also get a rack and they sell a large duffelbag to go with the saddlebags. If you are a good ultralight camper, another option is the giantloop saddlebag, which wraps around the rear fender. It has enough room for everything except the tent and a large sleeping bag, which you bungee over the fender behind the bag. Finally a tank bag seems to be a good adition for touring, but optional.

The drz is a rugged bike, I've dropped mine a few times in the dirt (and rocks) and the possiblity of splitting a tank or breaking the engine in a fall is next to zero. Good luck, and happy riding! Here's some links-

rad. guards- http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_...r_radguard.htm

case savers- http://shop.thumpertalk.com/DRZ_Case...p_cfc_case.htm

mcct- http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Manual_C...g_tt_mcct1.htm

dirt bagz- http://www.dbzproducts.com/

giantloop- http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote