Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #2401
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
When I first go my Clarke, I installed the safety wire. I promptly got a leak at one of the attachment inserts and ended up sending the tank back. I noticed during installation that the eyelets at the ends of the safety wire were not properly bent so the process of tightening the screws caused the inserts to be twisted.

On the new tank I tried bending the safety wire to get it to fit better and put less stress on the inserts, but in the end, I just decided not to tempt fate and left the wire off.

FYI, I also had all the screws back out that attach the under-tank plastic saddles which have no lock washers and were not installed with thread locker. I've loctited the screws now. The attachment hardware for the Clarke seems pretty mickey-mouse to me.

- Mark
Thanks - I left it off. It seems to me that a better solution would be to use a safety strap made of flat braided wire with eyelets crimped on for attachment. That way you would have the security of the additional mounting, & it would be easier to install plus it would not rub or chafe the frame.
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #2402
teamhypoxia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
On my bike the PO initially installed the clarke. I have had it off and on several times though with no issues. The safety wire on mine is slightly bent in the middle and seems to work fine. I guess I figured it had come bent from the factory.
02 Ninja 250
02 DRZ400S
02 XR100
02 XR50
teamhypoxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #2403
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia
The safety wire on mine is slightly bent in the middle and seems to work fine. I guess I figured it had come bent from the factory.
Yes, the bend in the middle of the safety wire is normal and it comes that way. They do that to allow the wire to pass through the center of the bike without hitting the frame. But at least on my wire, the was no bend at the ends of the wire where the eyelets are. And the tank inserts that the eyelets bolt to are at a much more acute angle than the general angle of the wire. The result is that you bow the wire as you tighten the screws and put the inserts under constant pressure. I don't know if this caused my leak, but both my inserts definitely leaked. Based on my (admittedly limited) experience, I think its a good idea to bend the eyelet ends of the wire individually to lay flat on the inserts. Or ditch the wire all-together.

While we're talking about Clarke tank problems:

1. Be sure you bend the control cable guides a little out of the way at the front of the tank. Most installations will have the cable guides fouling the tank where they'll eventually wear a hole.

2. Many people have issues where the carb enrichment knob won't pull out all the way without hitting the tank. I had to dremel the 9-to-12 o'clock edge of my knob to get adequate clearance to reliably be able to get to the final detent. This is with the BST - I hear the problem is worse with the FCR, although I have no first-hand experience.

3. Lots of folks seem to think the fuel cap is crap and will eventually release debris into your tank. One off a XR650R seems to be a common mod. I went in to get the Honda cap and couldn't tell any real difference between it and the Clarke cap on mine, so I never did this mod. No problems so far.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #2404
js73751
Mid Life Crisis Member

Oddometer: 81
I am awaiting delivery of my Clarke tank. I am very curious as to what this safety wire mount looks like. Anyone have a photo they would post?
Thanks, Joe
js73751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #2405
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by js73751
I am awaiting delivery of my Clarke tank. I am very curious as to what this safety wire mount looks like. Anyone have a photo they would post?
You'll see it soon enough. It's decidedly low-tech - just a 8" length of stiff wire with a bend in the center and two eyelets bent in each end.

- Mark
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #2406
craftkr
"Carpe Diem"

Oddometer: 567
Handle Bars and Hand Gaurds?

Wanting to put an after market set of bars and some hand guards.... I like the looks of the acerbis hand gaurds, but what kind and what set of bars? Any idea's?

BMWMOA # 132796
craftkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #2407
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftkr
Wanting to put an after market set of bars and some hand guards.... I like the looks of the acerbis hand gaurds, but what kind and what set of bars? Any idea's?
I have some Renthal Carmicheal bend, they work great for me. Yes, the acerbis guards are some of the best, I have them, they are pretty strong.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #2408
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by js73751
Thanks, Joe

when i was first installing my clarke tank i thought the safety wire wasnt bent right as it wasnt lining up right with the threaded inserts in the tank..... then i tool the safety wire out and flipped it 180..... it lined up perfectly with the inserts then.

no bending required.

KOokaloo!

Frank
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #2409
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,651
accessory lights?

Anybody have running lights on their DRZ400? I need more lighting for night-time commutes, deer-spotting, etc.

I was wondering about some small, HID system, maybe like this?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...E79EqKT1DB9919

Though that seems crazy expensive...

Maybe a PIAA system, though they seem overly large for a DRZ400.

Thoughts? Pics? Can the charging system handle it?

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #2410
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
How about the Lead Dog helmet light? http://www.helmetlight.com/ I've got one and so far no problems. 35 watt light and a brake light, pretty cool.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #2411
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
How about the Lead Dog helmet light? http://www.helmetlight.com/ I've got one and so far no problems. 35 watt light and a brake light, pretty cool.
On the street, I would imagine that this would attract a lot of attention from the cops. This looks more like a atv/woods setup.

On the charging issue, it has been discussed before in this thread. The DRZ has a few amps extra, but not much. If you're already running an aux heating load, you're probably asking for trouble. But if the aux lights are your only extra load and you keep them reasonable, you're probably okay.

- Mark
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #2412
Drizzt
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftkr
Here's a picture of my guards and my bars, though you can barely see them. Yes it's very dirty, and the black tape is holding on a little piece of plastic that I put my school id in so they can let me out early without me having to pull it out of my pocket with gloves on.

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=P1010403.jpg

I'm not sure what model the guards are, I just know they're acrebis (You'll never guess how I figured out ) The bars are, just as it is on the order from Rocky Mountain, "Renthal Rider Handlebar Ricky Charmicheal/Kevin Windham Bend Silver/Gold", product number 1060210014 mfg# 971-08-SG. They're strong and light, the bend is good for me, if you're taller than 5'11" (I'm right at it) I would get a little higher if you stand up in the dirt a lot. I can stand up fine but if I did it all the time I'de want a little higher, but not much.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #2413
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
On the street, I would imagine that this would attract a lot of attention from the cops. This looks more like a atv/woods setup.

On the charging issue, it has been discussed before in this thread. The DRZ has a few amps extra, but not much. If you're already running an aux heating load, you're probably asking for trouble. But if the aux lights are your only extra load and you keep them reasonable, you're probably okay.

- Mark
On my other bike I had a push-for-on, push-for-off headlight switch so when on the road the light would be off, on this bike I just unplug it. So far no LEO trouble. Your mileage may vary!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #2414
Drizzt
Ranger

Gas tank breather tube woes

I have a 3.2 gallon tank with the plastic cap. I had a tube that worked, but then like an idiot I chopped it down because I thought it was too high. Well, then it wouldn't bend around and stay in the hole by the ignition without coming out all the time. I got some fuel line and it's longer, but now the tube won't stay connected to the little nipple on the cap. Suggestions? I'm tired of getting gas all over. I'm thinking about putting some glue or something to hold it to the cap, what kind should I use that won't break down with the gas? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #2415
Sweetcorn
lurker

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
I have a 3.2 gallon tank with the plastic cap. I had a tube that worked, but then like an idiot I chopped it down because I thought it was too high. Well, then it wouldn't bend around and stay in the hole by the ignition without coming out all the time. I got some fuel line and it's longer, but now the tube won't stay connected to the little nipple on the cap. Suggestions? I'm tired of getting gas all over. I'm thinking about putting some glue or something to hold it to the cap, what kind should I use that won't break down with the gas? Any other suggestions? Thanks

How 'bout a hoseclamp?
Sweetcorn is offline   Reply With Quote