Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #2566
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Ordered some Dirt Bagz Ranger bags and an E-Bay rear rack yesterday. Got my CFC stick on case savers Saturday. I'm almost ready for a long weekend on the bike.
KI6HNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #2567
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,395
And the K is dirt-only kicker sans the heavy battery and starter.
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #2568
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
Whats the best way to hardwire a gps onto the DRZ?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #2569
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76
Depends on which unit you have. I have had good luck with the 60 & 76 series GPS units on four different bikes with wiring this, unswitched all the way back to the battery with an in-line fuse (included, but not pictured).

Item model number: 010-10082-00, 'bout $20, West Marine usually has them stocked in their stores if there's one near you.

Unlike the USB port, this makes a nice water-tight connection.

Also available through Amazon.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #2570
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Have a look here at something I posted a while back:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2445

I used the same cable that DrRock used, but put a plug on it to plug into a receptacle I mounted on a tab under one of the handlebar mounting bolts. That way I can easily move the unit from bike to bike and not have to buy and hardwire two power cords. You'll have to handy with a soldering iron and heat-shrink tubing, etc.

Definitely use this power cable instead of the USB plug...besides being pretty much waterproof, it won't fall out when the going gets rough.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #2571
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia
S is factory street legal
E has a few more ponies but is NOT factory street legal
If you live somewhere where plating dirt bikes is easy, go for the E
If you live in Kalifornistan or the like, get an S
+1

Don't forget that Kawasaki sold the DRZ under as a KLX400R (same as the "e") and KLX400SR (same as the "s"). They are the same bike as the DRZ just in Kawi green. Here's mine:

Mine is the offroad version that was plated in 2003, back when it was easy to do in OR. Now it's almost impossible thanks to CA IMO. I've modded it some with typical protection stuff, full Muzzy exhaust (well worth the $$!), big gas tank and an S model headlight. Check with your riding buddies in TN about the "plating dirt bike" thing. The easiest thing to do is get a factory street model so you don't have to worry about the plating issue. A third option is the SM model. You can put dirt wheels on them more cheaply than putting SM wheels on the dirt-oriented versions.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #2572
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 6,037
I'm looking to plate a DRZ in TN also, I talked to the county clerk, she said they do a visual inspection at the office. I think I might just tape a hundred where the turn signals should be
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #2573
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
My GPS is an Etrex with the weird looking plug on the back. I like the plug idea.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #2574
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,082
Quote:
My GPS is an Etrex with the weird looking plug on the back. I like the plug idea.
What I did was buy a cigarette lighter adapter for the serial port eTrex (I have the early non-color Vista model) on eBay for $5 and cut off the plug. Add an SAE adapter and you can use the battery tender SAE plug off the battery of continuous power. Pay attention to the wiring on assembly. Just remember to turn off the GPS when you're off for any period of time. Once you're home, you plug back in to the tender...

I use the eTrex on the DRZ and CR250 (battery only obviously). I have a Zumo for the GS and it's wired through the CANBUS.
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #2575
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
+1

Don't forget that Kawasaki sold the DRZ under as a KLX400R (same as the "e") and KLX400SR (same as the "s"). They are the same bike as the DRZ just in Kawi green. Here's mine:

Mine is the offroad version that was plated in 2003, back when it was easy to do in OR. Now it's almost impossible thanks to CA IMO. I've modded it some with typical protection stuff, full Muzzy exhaust (well worth the $$!), big gas tank and an S model headlight. Check with your riding buddies in TN about the "plating dirt bike" thing. The easiest thing to do is get a factory street model so you don't have to worry about the plating issue. A third option is the SM model. You can put dirt wheels on them more cheaply than putting SM wheels on the dirt-oriented versions.
Even the VIN comes up as a Suzuki. One of my friends found that out when pulled over one time. The police officer got a bit concerned at first thinking it was stolen and/or an attempt to cheat the registration until my buddy explained everything.

Nice looking ride!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #2576
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
This is a great way to power the GPS...if you buy the set from Touratech, they also give you a little rubber boot that zipties to your GPS mount. You can insert the plug end into the boot when not in use so it doesn't get wet and muddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Depends on which unit you have. I have had good luck with the 60 & 76 series GPS units on four different bikes with wiring this, unswitched all the way back to the battery with an in-line fuse (included, but not pictured).

Item model number: 010-10082-00, 'bout $20, West Marine usually has them stocked in their stores if there's one near you.

Unlike the USB port, this makes a nice water-tight connection.

Also available through Amazon.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #2577
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,395
Green bike pride!

KLX400SR

OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #2578
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor
KLX400SR

OConner, what kind of forks are those? Did you put them on yourself or was the bike like that when you bought it?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #2579
=che=
thumping away

Oddometer: 58

hello all, just trying to become more active of an inmate =D
i picked up my '05 drz400sm a week or two ago and the weather finally broke so i was able to start getting some miles in. unfortunately when this picture was taken i hadn't gotten around to registering my bike yet so i landed myself a $130 ticket from a friendly policeman on the way home from red lodge. i'm a genius. ah well, i'm all legal now so let the fun begin again!
IMG_2143
=che= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #2580
jlmg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi all
I got a question for you guys, what are the differences (besides tires, the obvious) between the S and the SM model, can I lets say put knobbies on a SM and go offroading?.......
It looks like the forks are inverted.... can you guys please help me out
Thanks
JM
jlmg is offline   Reply With Quote