Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #2716
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
But I purchased an Acerbis 4.25 gal tank ..... What's the deal with the vent tube, and do I actually need it?...
Anybody?

G.
Yes, you need it... if it gets plugged or kinked, fuel will cease to exit your tank, and the bike will sputter and die.

If you want to get really trick, check out these breather valves from BJ Motorsports:

I had one on the DR, and I'm gonna pick one up for LDF's DRZ since her tank bag occasionally kinks the tube, and when she tips it over, there's no valve, so gas spills.

OTOH, having a length of fuel line as a vent means that you will always have some spare fuel line if you need it for a repair on the trail.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #2717
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
Or... you can get an Acerbis locking gas cap!
I like the locking gas cap. It is vented and thief types can't take your fuel. I have the Acerbis cap and it fits my IMS tank perfectly.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #2718
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I'd recommend the JD kit, and I got the 411 from Eddie on TT for 4000-8000 ft. jetting for our 2 DRZ's using that kit.

Hope that helps.
Or just rip the carb out of there and swap in an FCR39. Prepare to go through a bit more gas though.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #2719
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,514
I had one of these on my Clarke cap and it departed somewhere on the trail.

How is the BJ Breather valve held to the cap?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #2720
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Yes, you need it... if it gets plugged or kinked, fuel will cease to exit your tank, and the bike will sputter and die.

If you want to get really trick, check out these breather valves from BJ Motorsports:

I had one on the DR, and I'm gonna pick one up for LDF's DRZ since her tank bag occasionally kinks the tube, and when she tips it over, there's no valve, so gas spills.

OTOH, having a length of fuel line as a vent means that you will always have some spare fuel line if you need it for a repair on the trail.
Well, I installed the Acerbis tank, with ZERO problems. It went on so easily, it was to good to be true .....

And as you can see, there's the vent tube ........

Then the next day went on some hard pack BLM roads. Unfortunately nothing too muddy, so the bike didn't get that dirty .......

But it'll happen soon ......

Here's a pic of just getting back to some pavement .....

Like I said, it was pretty much all hard pack, with some puddles here and there ....

Stopped for one more photo shoot before hitting pavement again .....

And I gotta say YFFs ...... that bike was / is awesome! I do not know why I didn't get one sooner ........

Rain in my area is coming back, so perhaps this upcoming weekend I can get her all dirty like, and then report back some more .......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #2721
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
How is the BJ Breather valve held to the cap?
Self-threads the plastic nipple the first time you screw it on. It's not going anywhere unless you unscrew it.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #2722
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,514
Someone dragracing the Doctor.

DRZ+400+S+stock
Old 04-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #2723
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 821
Barely edged out that scooter in the second pass.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #2724
scootskipper
Motographer

Oddometer: 53
I'm encouraged by your words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie
Last Summer I rode my DRZ 400 by Interstate highways from central PA to Montana to meet a friend to ride the Continental Divide Trail. I did a 1000 mile day the first day and didn't stop until Mitchell, SD. It's perfectly capable of Interstate speeds with stock gearing. Once broken in, high revs won't hurt this motor. Vibration just keeps one awake and helps blood flow. Mini highway pegs I made and mounted to the front of the bash plate prevent leg cramping, Air Hawk seat helps the butt tremendously. The hard, narrow off road seat is the only really uncomfortable thing about long days in the DRZ saddle.
I have gone from a DR650 to a DRZ400S. I initially thought that I would be adding a DL650 to the stable later. The more I ride the DRZ, the more I like it. Starting to see it as a longer distance bike. I had a Corbin on my 650 and liked it a lot, expect that the dizzer will get one too. It's good to know that others are having good experiences with their 400s. My favorite riding is twisty fire roads. My favorite pavement riding is twisty roads that are best traveled below 60 mph anyway. This is such a sweet bike for those kinds of riding! Have a look at a recent ride. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2e-jAMgrI
Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #2725
Chet Punisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Scoots,
I would look around thumpertalk before you pull the trigger on a corbin. I have read several posts saying the corbin isn't that great on the DRZ...

Just thought you should look around...

Chet
Chet Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #2726
scootskipper
Motographer

Oddometer: 53
Corbin is okay with me

Hi Chet, I have had several Corbins before, most recently on my DR650 and was very happy. However, I'm getting ready to go to Peru in two weeks for a ride down there and that leaves no buck$ to buy farkles for a while. Check out http://www.wellspring-outreach.org/ We are riding XR600rs from Lima to Moqugua by way of Cusco to go see the kids.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #2727
DUSTSTROM
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I'm looking for a DRZ400 for my GF as a first bike. We found one that was converted from a DRZ400S to a SM, I thought it would be great for her because of the lower seat height due to the 17" wheels. After riding it that handling seemed very strange, I have never ridden a Motard type bike, is it normal to have such hard steering? It seemed it took a lot of effort to keep it riding straight, by the time I get back I felt like my forearms just rode a motocross. What is the difference between a S model and the SM?

Dustsorm
DUSTSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #2728
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,680
Something is wrong with it.

I've never ridden anything that handles easier/better/lighter/more predictably than my 400SM.

Ride a factory SM and compare them, or some other converted S bike.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #2729
Scout03
On The Pipe!!

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76
Are the cables all stock also or do you have to lengthen anything?
I put these on last night....the only problem I had was i had to relocate the ingnition. I will post pics later.

Current cycle: 2007 DRZ400S X 2
Past cylcles:04 KLR 250 02 Bandit 600, YZ 125, RM 125, Yamaha Blaster (not a cyle but a fun liitle toy)
Scout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #2730
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTSTROM
I'm looking for a DRZ400 for my GF as a first bike. We found one that was converted from a DRZ400S to a SM, I thought it would be great for her because of the lower seat height due to the 17" wheels. After riding it that handling seemed very strange, I have never ridden a Motard type bike, is it normal to have such hard steering? It seemed it took a lot of effort to keep it riding straight, by the time I get back I felt like my forearms just rode a motocross. What is the difference between a S model and the SM?

Dustsorm
If it has steering dampner, back that off.
How are the tires? Pressure OK?
Otherwise, sounds like your steering head bearings are shot.
Not difficult or expensive to replace.
If you haven't bought it; look very carefully at the rest of the bike; chances are more problems are lurking (swing arm brgs can be a bitch).
Or, use the brg problem as a bargaining tool to reduce the price.

fasteer screwed with this post 04-07-2009 at 09:41 PM
fasteer is offline   Reply With Quote