Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #2761
velosprocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by _vortex_
So, I'd like to add a small amount of storage to my DRZ. Nothing to large - something to hold my lunch, and/or my jacket liner when I go from the morning 40s to the afternoon 80s when I use it for commuting.

Don't really want any panniers, or anything like that. Easy to put on / take off would also be a plus.

Any suggestions?
The wolfman Enduro, or something like this http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/rear_fender_bags.html

I did the White Rim with a Camelback last Tuesday and it got heavy towards the end of the day.
velosprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #2762
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeezer
Wow thanks for the quick responses, and good advice. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. He is only asking 2900 for it, and he just bought this bike a month ago from the guy that did all the mods to it. He is selling it because he since bought a xr650l he says because the bigger bike handles his 230# weight better. The guy that originally sold it a month still has his craigslist post up and he was asking 3900! This makes me suspicious. However I think I will be going to look at it today after work. That's a great idea taking it to have it looked over by Eddie, however I don't have a truck and it's not legal as it is, so he would have to haul it there for me :-/. Also there is a guy coming down from Wyoming tomorrow to look at it, so I suspect that I don't have much time to buy this if I want it.
Current owner "flipping" the bile after a month is a HUGE warning sign in my book. It may be Okay, but you never know. Given your mechanical experience and intended use of the bike, I'd be more risk adverse in your shoes, but its your call. Don't get caught up with buyer's fever - there are a LOT of DRZ's out there.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #2763
jbeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Current owner "flipping" the bile after a month is a HUGE warning sign in my book. It may be Okay, but you never know. Given your mechanical experience and intended use of the bike, I'd be more risk adverse in your shoes, but its your call. Don't get caught up with buyer's fever - there are a LOT of DRZ's out there.

- Mark
Yea, I think you just helped me make up my mind. I still might go take a look at it, but you guys are probably right. I'd be better finding an S model and getting used to it then look at upgrades. How many other DRZ riders here are in Ft. Collins? I'm trying to find some good places to ride.
jbeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #2764
velosprocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
How many other DRZ riders here are in Ft. Collins? I'm trying to find some good places to ride.
Hop into the regional forum, lots of us there!
velosprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #2765
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Yea, I think you just helped me make up my mind. I still might go take a look at it, but you guys are probably right. I'd be better finding an S model and getting used to it then look at upgrades. How many other DRZ riders here are in Ft. Collins? I'm trying to find some good places to ride.
There are a lot of ADVRiders in Ft. Collins. The Rockies Regional Forum is where all the action is. You can start out with the Ft. Collins beer night on Wednesdays at the Steakout ($1.75 drafts on Wed. after 6 pm).

We're nice to n00bs, just show up. Some of us even ride DRZ's, or the faster green versions.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #2766
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
So, I'd like to add a small amount of storage to my DRZ. Nothing to large - something to hold my lunch, and/or my jacket liner when I go from the morning 40s to the afternoon 80s when I use it for commuting.

Don't really want any panniers, or anything like that. Easy to put on / take off would also be a plus.

Any suggestions?
I initially had the OEM rack and a cortech bag. I was amazed at how quickly things fill up. Between tools, one tube, Frog Toggs, and misc junk - I was at my limit after putting my jacket liner in. I now have dual tool tubes which has helped. I really should remove the Frog Togg jacket as well since my liner is waterproof.

I recently got Happy Trails racks and will likely always keep the drybags on (once I get them) just for storage space so I can run errands. Not exactly traveling light . . .
Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #2767
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:

Any suggestions?
OK, you said you don't want panniers, but a set of Dirt Bagz is small, light, and puts the weight lower than any tank or tail bag. You may not like the look of them, but they are convenient and can be put on and taken off in a minute. They are very popular here in Colorado.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #2768
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
A stock DRZ will benefit quite a bit from just upgrading the exhaust & jetting. Go with a full system as "slip-ons" mostly add noise. I went with the Muzzy stainless system (www.muzzys.com) and the improvment was HUGE!!, like 4-5 hp and it broadened the power band a lot too. The bike will cruise nicely at 65 with 15/47 gearing now. Doesn't sound half revved out like it did with the stocker. At 200+lbs, you should think about respringing as the stock springs (fork/shock) are for 160-180 range. Race Tech has a chart on their site to help you figure out which ones to get.

Another benefit of the S is the street legal "issue" goes away totally. I have a converted KLX400R (green version of the E) and it is a great bike but here in OR its almost impossible to plate an offroad bike anymore and I worry that DMV might start pulling plates some day. My bike was done in 2003 so I'll probably be ok but you never know.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #2769
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
OK, you said you don't want panniers, but a set of Dirt Bagz is small, light, and puts the weight lower than any tank or tail bag. You may not like the look of them, but they are convenient and can be put on and taken off in a minute. They are very popular here in Colorado.
+1 on the dirt bagz. I have a set of the Rangers on my DRZ400S & they are fantastic.. light, easy on/off, & you can carry a lot of essential gear in them if you need to (extra clothes, food, first aid kit, tools, beer, etc.).
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #2770
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:

Any suggestions?
I have one of these, the Kriega US-10 and I use it exactly as you intend. I used to strap a small backpack there, and this is so much better since it's designed for a motorcycle. Waterproof, straps down securely, easy on-off, big enough for a day ride. Got mine on-line at Aerostich.

BTW, I made some loops out of webbing that stay cinched on the bike, so I don't have to lift the seat to put it on and off. The way it's designed to be held to the bike is pretty versitile... there's a hundred ways you could attach it more, or less permanently if you get a little creative.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #2771
fiveover
On Any Saturday

Oddometer: 76
Clarke Fuel Tank Problems - help!

I bought a used Clarke fuel tank for my DRZ400S and have a couple questions/problems.

1) How does Clarke say to attach the petcock to the tank? Are you supposed to leave the 1/2" spacer in there or just attach the fuel valve to the Clarke tank minus the spacer? I went to attach just the petcock to the fuel tank (just like the guy I bought it off of had) and it is leaking from the o ring. I even bought a new o ring. Should I try it with the spacer in there? The place where the petcock mounts doesn't seem smooth and flat like on my metal tank.

2) I ordered a Tusk Billet cap for the tank and it doesn't seem to fit. The threads don't seem right. Do I have an older model tank by chance?

Thanks for any input.
fiveover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #2772
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveover
I bought a used Clarke fuel tank for my DRZ400S and have a couple questions/problems.

1) How does Clarke say to attach the petcock to the tank? Are you supposed to leave the 1/2" spacer in there or just attach the fuel valve to the Clarke tank minus the spacer? I went to attach just the petcock to the fuel tank (just like the guy I bought it off of had) and it is leaking from the o ring. I even bought a new o ring. Should I try it with the spacer in there? The place where the petcock mounts doesn't seem smooth and flat like on my metal tank.

2) I ordered a Tusk Billet cap for the tank and it doesn't seem to fit. The threads don't seem right. Do I have an older model tank by chance?

Thanks for any input.
the instructions say to use it without the spacer. That's just how I mounted it on my Clarke 3.9 gallon tank & it worked fine with a new o-ring.
The Tusk cap worked Ok on my Clarke, but you are correct, the threads just don't feel quite right.
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #2773
scootskipper
Motographer

Oddometer: 53
Pingle Petcock

I have a 2009 S version. My last bike was a DR650 with an IMS tank and Pingle petcock. I intend to put a larger tank on the dizzer and still have the Pingle anyone know of a reason not to use it? I has very little use and I really like the quality of it.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #2774
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,329
Clark tank

I just noticed that the little metal wires off my frame near the front used to hold the wire harness in place were rubbing the front of my tank. I caught it in time but eventually it looks like they would have made a hole in the tank. May want to check it out and bent these wires forward to avoid this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveover

Thanks for any input.
begeberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #2775
fiveover
On Any Saturday

Oddometer: 76
Thanks for the information. Any others?
I think the bottom of the tank is not smooth where the petcock mounts. I bought a new o ring and tightened the petcock as much as I dare and it still leaks. It does leak less with the new o ring but it does still leak slightly. Guess I'll use some gasket maker or something. I have Permatex black (16B) and gray . The gray says not not use with parts that come in contact with gasoline but the black doesn't so I assume it should work. Any comments?
fiveover is offline   Reply With Quote