Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #3526
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
So I've been thinking about a drz400k. I have heard the bike is about 265-270 lbs, which is a large difference from the 300 I've heard for a s/sm(which is about the same as an xrr). I like my xrr and the power is awesome, but I rarely find myself using all of it(except to wheelie/jump crap). I'm sure xrr vs drz has been beaten to death, and I'm pretty familiar with the comparison, but is there anything mindblowing about the kick only model besides weight?

A guy once offered to let me ride his drzsm on the track when I blew my xrr's rear shock. I wish I had taken him up on it. I need to figure out some way to try one.
The kick only DRZ400 has a lighter flywheel that makes it rev alot faster. It has the FCR & better cams too.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #3527
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
The dirt model DR-Zs also have about 5 h.p. more than the S and SM.
Supposedly, you can get most of this power back if you install a thinner cylinder base gasket on the S/SM. Just keep in mind that some of the weight difference between a E/K and the S/SM you'll get back if you do the typical mods (e.g., plastic tank, removing passenger pegs, etc.). And if you want to do anything but trail ride, stuff like a rad fan, rear subframe, instrument cluster, and the E-start are probably worth the extra weight. And the S/SM burns regular.

If you look at an E, keep in mind that the better trail-riding FCR carb was discontinued at some point, I think 2007 perhaps.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 01:17 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #3528
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
The thinner base gasket raises compression a bit and that along with a little hotter cams is what adds the 5hp to the offroad models. But you're supposed to use 90 or higher octane fuel in them. My dualsported KLX400 is the offroad model and I used to use 89 until they mandated the ethanol blends. Now I have to use 92 or my bike just won't run as good. Mine is all stock except for a Muzzy exhaust system and jetting (which added another 5hp!) I've never boiled over my bike, even on single track so I'm not sure why they put fans on the S/SM models. Does it take that long for the lights to change in So Cal? Still, if I had a fan I'd leave it on just for added cooling insurance. If "adventure touring" is your thing, then get the S model just because they run on regular and have the full length subframe.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #3529
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,772
huh, so what would a real world weight difference be for a s/sm with a plastic tank, no pass pegs, etc with a similar set up k? 10-15 lbs, 5lbs? If its only battery and starter motor I could see that being almost a tiny weight difference.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #3530
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
huh, so what would a real world weight difference be for a s/sm with a plastic tank, no pass pegs, etc with a similar set up k? 10-15 lbs, 5lbs? If its only battery and starter motor I could see that being almost a tiny weight difference.
Suzuki says the E is 29 lbs lighter than the S and 33 lbs lighter than the SM. They don't make the K any more, but I recall folks saying it was about 15-lbs lighter than the E which seems about right for the estart penalty and perhaps a few other small changes.

15+29 = 44 lbs difference K to S bone stock.

I don't have a firm handle on how much you'd gain by typical mods to the S (tank, pegs, etc.), but I'd guess 10-lbs. So figure 34-lbs or so delta, K to S. 34-lbs for estart, bigger battery, instruments, rad fan, and subframe sounds about right.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 01:34 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #3531
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,495
Any downside to running a 100/100-18 on the rear of my s with stock gearing? It was sitting here in the garage, and is better in the dirt than the Duro it came with. I have a brand new Kenda 257 too but I know I like the TMII so I put it on there. It only had two rides on it when it was taken off so there is plenty of life in it
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post

If Lone Wadie rode a motorcycle, he'd be endeavoring to persevere on a KLR, no doubt

Buzztail screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 06:38 PM
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #3532
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Supposedly, you can get most of this power back if you install a thinner cylinder base gasket on the S/SM.
You can get some back - much of the E and K's power's in the cams and FCR - but the the compression helps.

Its not the peak difference of 5 HP of the DRZ-E over the -S so much, as it is its power curve. You can see the S actually does a bit better low. For top 40% of the curve the 'E' make about 30% more power average.

DRZ-E Red, DRZ-S Blue

Wring out an E - theres a noticable difference. My plated E farkled - Trick kit, Acerbis and 4 gallons of gas, rear rack and normal ride tank bag - weighed 309 on the local Ag scale - much of that carried high - but its set up as a dirt tourer.

Without the seat - I get under 300. I need bigger pegs

Alacrity screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 06:48 PM
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #3533
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Alacrity,

Thanks for the dyno charts. I've never weighed my plated KLX400R but it also has a 4 gal tank, handguards and other protection stuff but I think it's ~300. No tank bag or rear rack so maybe a little less. You're right about the weight being high on the bike but there really isn't a way to lower it.

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #3534
MOTOXNUT
Suzuki fan from way back

Oddometer: 63
Thumb Clarke 3.6 gallon Fuel Tank

Hi all, does anyone have any pics and or advice / history of fitting a 3.6 gallon Clarke fuel tank to a DR-Z 400 E. I am thinking of getting one sent over here ( New Zealand ) from the states and want to make sure they are good quality and a good fit before hand

2013 KTM690 R
2009 TXC510
2004 DR650SE
MOTOXNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #3535
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 377
Safaris Tank ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXNUT
Hi all, does anyone have any pics and or advice / history of fitting a 3.6 gallon Clarke fuel tank to a DR-Z 400 E. I am thinking of getting one sent over here ( New Zealand ) from the states and want to make sure they are good quality and a good fit before hand
Can't comment on the Clarke, but I got the 28ltr Safaris tank, and it fits no problem. Looks huge, but once your used to it, no worries after that.

Both the stock seat and the gel seat fit back easily.

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #3536
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Alacrity,

Thanks for the dyno charts. I've never weighed my plated KLX400R but it also has a 4 gal tank, handguards and other protection stuff but I think it's ~300. No tank bag or rear rack so maybe a little less. You're right about the weight being high on the bike but there really isn't a way to lower it.

Stuart
Well you can eliminate 18 pounds pretty easy, and drop the COG as well - 1 gallon of gas in the tank My normal woods bike is a TTR250 - if the DRZ is going on ST - it gets a diet - it helps, a bit.

Its less about weight than feel. People forget that many lightweight bikes wet weights are lower - because they they have half the fluids. Really it comes down to whichever mfg lies best. But other bikes that weigh about the same feel lighter due to CoG - they just have lower CoG.

My XT250 weighs about the same as my DRZ with the stock tank - feels a good deal lighter due to lower CoG. It doesnt ride nearly as well as the DRZ - but I dont have newbies pushing the suspenders or plowing the front either.

The dynamic feel between the K, E and S is pretty insignificant - when you ride a 450 EXC or Beta RR in comparison. My DRZ felt like a pig for weeks afterward. Easy to solve - stop riding that shit. The K and E are whole different bikes if you twist tho.

In dirt - if you stop you kill the bike. In stop and go traffic, not as easy. I have a Vapor with coolant sensor - with high ambient, the E can get toasty when not moving/slow.

lstzephyr - try to ride as many bikes as you can. I'm lucky I have lots of opportunity. I'll be the first to tell you the DRZ is not as tossable, responsive or ultimately pushable as a 450EXC, Beta 450RS, TE450 or other "plated" comp bikes - even the K or E. Dizzers are DS from the ground up and a bit dated - but all the compromises are the right compromises for me. If I need a different performance enevlope - I ride something else. If I had to have one bike - DR-Z or a WR-R.

Not to say the DRZ isnt competent - its always 90% rider. Kamil handles his just fine.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #3537
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Suzuki says the E is 29 lbs lighter than the S and 33 lbs lighter than the SM.

This is inaccurate. The S and SM are within a few pounds of each other.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #3538
ptgarcia
Huh?

Quote:
Supposedly, you can get most of this power back if you install a thinner cylinder base gasket on the S/SM.

- Mark

The biggest gain comes from the FCR carb, not the cams and gasket.

'06 DR-Z400S
Old 09-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #3539
ptgarcia
Huh?

Quote:
The thinner base gasket raises compression a bit and that along with a little hotter cams is what adds the 5hp to the offroad models.

The cams and gasket add a little power. Its the FCR carb that adds most of the power.

Quote:
Mine is all stock except for a Muzzy exhaust system and jetting (which added another 5hp!)

Your pipe probably added closer to 2 h.p.

For the most/best DR-Z400 info take a look in the DR-Z400 forum at Thumpertalk.com. All this has been gone over in great detail numerous times, backed by dyno sheets, etc.

'06 DR-Z400S
Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #3540
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
the FCR carb might add 1-hp. Maybe.
What it does do very well is improve throttle responce significantly. Instead of lazily spooling up, the bike accelerates NOW.
Base gasket & cams adds 2-3 HP.
FMF Q w/ powerbomb exhaust sytem adds 2-3 HP.
Millenium 440 big-bore adds maybe 5 HP.
With all the above, I have an honest 10-HP gain on the dyno.
Riding it feels like more.
A loud as fack Yoshi full system could add another 2-HP over the FMF.
Live without it.