Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #4111
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL
Any of you know what kind of on/off fuel petcock fits a Clarke tank thats for a KLX/DRZ ? I was told a WR426 Yamaha , ? Thanks.
The tank is designed for the stock DRZ petcock, but then that's not just an on/off. It's a vacuum type...

dasvis screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 05:13 PM
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #4112
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,701
Quote:
Any of you know what kind of on/off fuel petcock fits a Clarke tank thats for a KLX/DRZ ? I was told a WR426 Yamaha , ? Thanks.
I put a Clarke 3.9 gallon tank on my DRZ on Thursday for a White Rim Trail (Moab) trip that I took Saturday. The stock shutoff fits right on, use the new screws, leave out the aluminum spacer that is on the stock tank, use the 2 old fiber washers on the new screws, and presto changeo, new tank, no leaks. Make sure neither the vacuum line (which opens the valve except in the "prime" position) nor the fuel line get kinked, since they will set lower than the originals. Also, you will need to trim off most of the front half of the pull button on the choke control if you want to be able to fully choke the bike. Otherwise the button will hit the tank only letting you choke it about halfway. Clean out the plastic shavings in the new tank before installing. Less than an hour from opening the box and you will have a new tank. Good luck!
Doug

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #4113
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug
I put a Clarke 3.9 gallon tank on my DRZ on Thursday for a White Rim Trail (Moab) trip that I took Saturday. The stock shutoff fits right on, use the new screws, leave out the aluminum spacer that is on the stock tank, use the 2 old fiber washers on the new screws, and presto changeo, new tank, no leaks. Make sure neither the vacuum line (which opens the valve except in the "prime" position) nor the fuel line get kinked, since they will set lower than the originals. Also, you will need to trim off most of the front half of the pull button on the choke control if you want to be able to fully choke the bike. Otherwise the button will hit the tank only letting you choke it about halfway. Clean out the plastic shavings in the new tank before installing. Less than an hour from opening the box and you will have a new tank. Good luck!
Doug
Yeah, I added a slightly longer vacuum line to make sure that it did not kink.
Note that if you plan on adding a kickstart kit with the 3.9 Clarke tank you will need to grind some material off of the top of the kickstart arm. See link to thread on this....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...errerid=113148

Photos of my lever installed are on page 2 of this thread.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #4114
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,708
Lowrider DRZ

Took my DRZ over some supercross jumps this weekend and it doesn't seem to ride the same ever since... any ideas on what could be wrong?

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #4115
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
oh nasty
Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #4116
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel
You chain is adjusted to tight! Yes, that's it.

Some quality time on Ebay is on the offing.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #4117
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
You chain is adjusted to tight! Yes, that's it.

Some quality time on Ebay is on the offing.

- Mark

LOL. Actually I came across this DRZ while doing the Pachaug trails out here in CT this weekend. A guy on a GS adventure rolled into the gas station with his wife riding this midget DRZ. I tried not to stare, but you know how it is with midgets...you try as hard as you can to not look but your curiosity always gets the better of you . The DRZ was mod'd by some local shop to fit the lady's small frame (and no, she was not a midget).

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #4118
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel
The DRZ was mod'd by some local shop to fit the lady's small frame (and no, she was not a midget).
That's a radical drop. I would suspect it would cause all sorts of handling issues, but you got to do what you got to do.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #4119
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
That's a radical drop. I would suspect it would cause all sorts of handling issues, but you got to do what you got to do.

- Mark
She should have tried the dealer lowered DR650SE. That is one sweet low rider. If I ever get a DR650 I am going to do it.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #4120
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
That's just wrong! She needs an xt225 or tw200!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #4121
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
I only came up with the paint stick thing because my tapes & rulers were too fat to fit down the tube and my wife didn't want me getting oil on the ruler.
Hey...are we married to the same woman?
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #4122
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug
Doug
Thanks for the info , but I eliminated the vacuum line , I just want a on/off petcock.
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #4123
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Tonn's DRZ skidplate

I just received my 3/16" skidplate from Mike Tonn, looks good!
- I am going to smooth out the edges with a file & give it a "brushed" look with some steel wool. He also offers a 1/4" version which is probably overkill.. this thing is plenty stout. Will get some pics up as soon as I get around to fitting it on the bike. I really like that it does not use any cheesy clamps & it has no exposed bolt heads on the bottom. My only concern is that it looks like there may be some interference with the shift lever, but that remains to be seen once it is mounted up.
Skid plate1
Skid plate2
Skid plate3
skid plate4
Skid plate5
Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #4124
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
I think the 1999 WR400 petcock fits the Clarke tank. You might check thumpertalk.com for the exact years. I bought the Yamaha petcock, part number 2GU-24500-02 and Yamaha gasket 4X8-24512-00 for my 2003 KLX400SR (green DRZ-S), with the Clarke 3.9 tank and stock carb. The petcock was about $20. It works better than the stock $70 petcock which stuck in the open position.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #4125
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,657
FMF Titanium 4, can I make it quiet?

Just picked up a DRZ SM with a FMF Titanium 4 can and mid-pipe. The thing is obscenely loud, like worse than the Harleys.
This is my first bike with an aftermarket exhaust. I like the bling-bling factor, but I will find a stock exhaust if I can't muffle this thing down. (hopefully this is the right place for this question)

If I repack the muffler, and install a quiet core will it be reasonable?

Does the quiet core have the little cone shaped spark arrestor in it? I haven't quite figured out the different end caps and spark arrestor inserts. Never having owned such.

Does the Power Bomb header pipe provide additional noise reduction (as advertised)?
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote