Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #61
quietrider
singletrack seeker

Oddometer: 270
Who's got experience with the cheap damper rod forks of the early model S and the cartridge forks of the E and later model S. I've been doing some pretty rocky trail riding lately and was wondering if I'd have an easier time with better suspension. I'm probably about 165 lbs with gear so I'm not pushing the forks too hard weaight wise, but I hear there is a big difference. Whadayasay?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #62
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I upgraded to '03 E forks for my '01S and added racetech springs for my weight and it has made a big improvment in the front end, it doesn't want to tuck the front under anymore and sucks up the rough stuff better. I don't have too many offroad miles on them yet but it is a big improvment.

onaXR, your TKC80 front tire looks worn like mine, the center knobs are not worn but the double knobs between them are wearing fast, I only have about 2600 miles on it and I thought it would last much longer.

M
massrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #63
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Here's a quick photo of my DRZ:

My MT 21s are wearing the same way and my TCK 80 (on the Africa-Alp) are doing it too. I think it comes from braking on the pavement and maybe running lowish dirt pressures on the street.

Oh well, cost of traction is wear.

Ray
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #64
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Ladder106, how many miles do you get from the MT21? I have been looking at that tire as a replacment

M
massrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #65
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by massrider
I upgraded to '03 E forks for my '01S and added racetech springs for my weight and it has made a big improvment in the front end, it doesn't want to tuck the front under anymore and sucks up the rough stuff better. I don't have too many offroad miles on them yet but it is a big improvment.

onaXR, your TKC80 front tire looks worn like mine, the center knobs are not worn but the double knobs between them are wearing fast, I only have about 2600 miles on it and I thought it would last much longer.

M
Yeah it was worn in that shot, around 5k on that tire. It wears like that for some reason, I balanced the new set hoping that will matter some.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #66
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Haven't worn my first set of MT21s out yet so dunno what I'll get.

Extrapolating from what I see now it'll probably be about 4000 miles.

I also tend to replace a knobbie way before you have to since it makes no sense to have one with 1/4 in knobs. I have ridden the street in the rain this winter ridden mud (the clay sticky stuff we have here), rocks, grass and hardpack. They tend to do OK on just about everything.

On the whole, I'd rather ride a knobbie a bit slower on the street than keep getting spit off riding a street tire in the dirt. The MT21s have surprising tractioin on the street, they have good feedback if you push them to hard in a corner (squirmy feeling), haven't done anything dangerous and don't howl on the street. They are certainly noisier than a street tire but nothing bothersome.

My DRZ gets almost exactly 50/50 street/dirt use if that's any help.

Ray
Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #67
Britmick OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
How did you manage to get that small twin trunked tree to grow out of your left side mirror bracket Ray?

l'm running on Maxxis Desert tires at the moment,there is a certain amount of 'humming' on the road,but they're good for soft sand/gravel & rocky terrain,& as we don't get wet or muddy roads here,l can't comment on how they cope with those conditions.

Mick.
Britmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #68
onaXR
Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmick
How did you manage to get that small twin trunked tree to grow out of your left side mirror bracket Ray?

Mick.
Not bad, but my tree produces fruit!
Old 05-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #69
Britmick OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
Not bad, but my tree produces fruit!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...9/HPIM0433.jpg
That's a nice fruit tree you got there growing,but what type is the tree that's growin' outa you're front tyre(Proper spelling of tire......Oh yes it is!)

Mick.

PS,that's also a darned sexy lookin' bike you got there in black!
Old 05-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #70
onaXR
Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmick
That's a nice fruit tree you got there growing,but what type is the tree that's growin' outa you're front tyre(Proper spelling of tire......Oh yes it is!)

Mick.

PS,that's also a darned sexy lookin' bike you got there in black!
Thanks Mick, and that is a white oak from the front tyre.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #71
7 7
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Here's a quick photo of my DRZ:

My MT 21s are wearing the same way and my TCK 80 (on the Africa-Alp) are doing it too. I think it comes from braking on the pavement and maybe running lowish dirt pressures on the street.

Oh well, cost of traction is wear.

Ray
Nice looking bike Ray, you don't have any close ups of your windscreen and rest of bike do you? It would be much appreciated Love the look of that tall Dakarish windscreen.......does it work well?
7 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #72
Britmick OP
Banned

7/7.......do you guys in Oz do lotsa highway miles?
l only ask 'coz you're asking about tall windscreens.....

l would never have considered this mod(l don't do much blacktop travel)

Mick.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #73
northumbrian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
well its got a DRZ motor, with a Pumper carb, Scorpion S/S race exhaust and K&N Air filter ( hopefully image will appear! )

09 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
northumbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #74
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Here's a photo from when the shield was in "mock-up" just after I got the mounting sorted and before the color change.

Its a BMW Dakar windscreen. They can sometimes be found on ebay. It fits the lines of the DRZ remarkable well and was easy to mount to the DRZ headlight screen/number plate.

Mounted with 3 bolts. It can be removed in about 3 minutes and chucked into a backpack if your doing very serious off-road work. I've really never taken it off. It's not so high as to feel like it will take your head off when you endo that bike (and I've done that a time or two).

It is tall enough to take wind pressure off your upper chest and arms down to about the elbow. It makes the bike much easier to ride at speed for long distances.

Here's another one from the winter commute with the deathwings still on the bike.

Hope this helps,
Ray

Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #75
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Last weekend on its maiden off-road voyage.

To tell the truth, I have almost as fun modding this bike as I do riding it. I guess it's a very popular platform for that very reason.