User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #7501
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,470
Wheel size 2000 vs 2004

I want to get a second wheel set for my 04 DRZ(S). One more "street oriented" and the other set up for dirt. I have a POSSIBLE line on a set from a 2000 unit. Is there any reason the 2000 wheel won't work on my 04?

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #7502
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I want to get a second wheel set for my 04 DRZ(S). One more "street oriented" and the other set up for dirt. I have a POSSIBLE line on a set from a 2000 unit. Is there any reason the 2000 wheel won't work on my 04?
Unless it's broken it should work

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #7503
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Unless it's broken it should work
Ha! right, there is that. thanks for the quick response.

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #7504
Helikoptermann
bloody german...

Oddometer: 51
Hey Folks!
Currently Im a KLR rider (yeah, I know...), but Im having thoughts about getting something a little lighter, and therefore more dirt-worthy.
Right now, Im doing about 30/70 dirt/street, but the Kawi isnt too much fun offroad.
Would one of these DRZs be able to replace my Kawi as a "do-all" bike?
Im planning to do some dirt riding (nothing hard-core, though), but also commutes and maybe some tarmac-based day or weekend adventures...

Any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #7505
cman
cman

Oddometer: 285
Rather the DRZ 400s, I would give a hard look at the DR 650. Good after market and a pretty good following on here. I own a DRZ 400s and a DR 350s, and I find myself on the DR more than the DRZ for both on and off road. I myself have been looking, reading up on a bigger DIRT / Adventure bike worth the money, and the DR 650 keeps rising to the top. Just my 2 cents. Proably not much lighter though. I think the reason I'm liking the Dr 350s more is becuase of the 6 speed. Even though I have changed the gearing more for off road use, it still cruises 60mph OK. The dirt worthyness of the DR 650 would work for me.
cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #7506
tommykaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helikoptermann View Post
Hey Folks!
Currently Im a KLR rider (yeah, I know...), but Im having thoughts about getting something a little lighter, and therefore more dirt-worthy.
Right now, Im doing about 30/70 dirt/street, but the Kawi isnt too much fun offroad.
Would one of these DRZs be able to replace my Kawi as a "do-all" bike?
Im planning to do some dirt riding (nothing hard-core, though), but also commutes and maybe some tarmac-based day or weekend adventures...

Any thoughts?
I bought a KLR brand new in 2003 and put 25,000 mies on it. In december of 2009 bought a used 2003 DRZ 400. The DRZ is 3 times the bike the klr was. Its lighter , aluminum frame (about 100pounds), same power 35ish horses and reves to 10,000there are way more power up parts and just a much better bike.I commute into New York city on mine 30 miles each way and i feel much more confident on the drz. Its better balanced and the power is much smoother. I riding on dunlop 606 and fel confident on any road surface. Get a drz and you'll soon forget that old KLR....Tom
tommykaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #7507
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Interesting comments. I rode a 2005 KLR650 for some years and about 15,000 miles. I commuted on it literally every day for a long time even through the wet cold winters here in western Washington State. The thing I liked about the KLR was, to me, it was maybe the most comfortable motorcycle I ever owned.Just the bar/footpeg/seat/fairing relationship was very good for my size.But I never took it offroad, and I used to do a lot of dirt riding, so I know the KLR is a pig for any rough riding. I have been interested in teh DRZ400S and the super moto model for years, but never had the pleasure of trying one out.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #7508
BMWf800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Interesting comments. I rode a 2005 KLR650 for some years and about 15,000 miles. I commuted on it literally every day for a long time even through the wet cold winters here in western Washington State. The thing I liked about the KLR was, to me, it was maybe the most comfortable motorcycle I ever owned.Just the bar/footpeg/seat/fairing relationship was very good for my size.But I never took it offroad, and I used to do a lot of dirt riding, so I know the KLR is a pig for any rough riding. I have been interested in teh DRZ400S and the super moto model for years, but never had the pleasure of trying one out.

jon
I am 6'1"
I have the BMW f800gs and the DRZ 400s. As they are set up now fit differently but I like the DRZ 400s a lot due to its low hassle and fun.
The BMW could be nice also but it is VERY problematic along with my experience of lack in customer service.
You just need to ride one to see how it fit and feels to you.
Suzuki DRZ 400s, KTM 300XC, BMW f800gs -when it is not broke down,waiting for BMW to fix it
BMWf800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #7509
WildAtHeart
Wild At Heart

Oddometer: 13
Just bought myself an 04 drz with just under 8000k yesterday. Its my first off road bike and i have bike plans for it. Hopefully by spring it will have a, skid plate, hand guards, pro circuit exhaust, black rims and some dunlop 606's. Just thought i'd share my new purchase!
WildAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #7510
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAtHeart View Post
Just bought myself an 04 drz with just under 8000k yesterday. Its my first off road bike and i have bike plans for it. Hopefully by spring it will have a, skid plate, hand guards, pro circuit exhaust, black rims and some dunlop 606's. Just thought i'd share my new purchase!
Cool, but don't do black rims, imagine what tire levers will do to them when patching a tube on the trail.

You want to learn about a DRZ, check out Thumper Talk.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 06:48 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #7511
MacGregor
'S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAtHeart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Cool, but don't do black rims, imagine what tire levers will do to them when patching a tube on the trail.

You want to learn about a DRZ, check out Thumper Talk.
X2 on ThumperTalk - best resource for technical info. I'd recommend passing on the D606 front if you're planning on doing any decent off road riding. I've ridden two different bikes off road with the 606 front - not a pleasant experience. Many run a D606 rear with a Pirelli MT21 in the front with [very] good results. And congrats on the purchase!
MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #7512
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstites View Post
Whats the rear tire on the left DR...don't recognize the tread pattern.
Sorry to be late. The DR650 rear is a k270. Great, cheap DS tire. Don't get the front, they suck. The DRZ has a D606 rear. Another great DS tire. Don't get the front if you're going to do much offroading. The front washes out easy. Gravel and onroad it's fine. The front MT21 is MUCH better though. Sticks on road and off.

To the other guy: the decals are custom made by me. Nothing fancy, you just buy the FX vinyl sheets, apply, and then cut them out it whatever design you want. I even put some on my wheels as seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJPuHrL6paU

New custom seats on the way from seat concepts...
Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #7513
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helikoptermann View Post
Hey Folks!
Any thoughts?
I have both a DR650SE and DRZ400E, DR650 perform well off-rd (if u got z right set up of course) but z DRZ400 will perform even better off-rd & more. Put it this way if u can ride 150 to 200 miles off-rd on ur DR650 and u switch to DRZ400 u can put 250 miles of off-rd easy with no sweat. And if u can keep it at that pace u definitely eligible to go do Dakar Race but u gonna have to wait till next January 2012 cause they're already booked for that year (Dakar2011)...
BTW the're some few DRZ400 this year doing Dakar (bored to 440cc).
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #7514
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykaw View Post
The DRZ is 3 times the bike the klr was. Its lighter , aluminum frame (about 100pounds)...
Overall, the DRZ is about 100-lbs lighter but it has nothing to do with frame material - both use steel frames.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #7515
tommykaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
thanks for the heads up-my SV650 uses aluminum frame....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Overall, the DRZ is about 100-lbs lighter but it has nothing to do with frame material - both use steel frames.

- Mark

Anyway my point is that the drz is just a much better bike- I owned both and the drz being only a ten year old vs the 30 years old design of the KLR650 can't compete.....
PS-I am aware they redesigned the KLR a few years ago....
tommykaw is offline   Reply With Quote