ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #7516
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator
 
brothermosley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Medford, MA
Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post
X2 on ThumperTalk - best resource for technical info. I'd recommend passing on the D606 front if you're planning on doing any decent off road riding. I've ridden two different bikes off road with the 606 front - not a pleasant experience. Many run a D606 rear with a Pirelli MT21 in the front with [very] good results. And congrats on the purchase!
congrats! you're gonna love it. very solid, fun dependable bike.
__________________
2008 WR250R
brothermosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #7517
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Clackamas, OR - USA
Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helikoptermann View Post
Hey Folks!
Currently Iīm a KLR rider (yeah, I know...), but Iīm having thoughts about getting something a little lighter, and therefore more dirt-worthy.
Right now, Iīm doing about 30/70 dirt/street, but the Kawi isnīt too much fun offroad.
Would one of these DRZīs be able to replace my Kawi as a "do-all" bike?
Iīm planning to do some dirt riding (nothing hard-core, though), but also commutes and maybe some tarmac-based day or weekend adventures...

Any thoughts?
When you say 30/70 off/on dirt/street are you talking about gravel/fire roads or more technical stuff off road?

Is street commuting on a hwy or surface streets?

Here is why I'm asking......

The KLR is more street than off road.
The DR650SE is more off road than street.
The DRZ400s is more off road than both bikes.

I currently have a DRZ400s and I've also had a DR650 and a KLR650.

I hated the KLR off road. It was way to top heavy for me and even with lowering links I still would drop it.

I traded it in on a DR650se and I loved that bike. I took it on camping trips all over the Pacific NW and even with a trunk and pelican 1520 side cases it handled really well on and off road. On the freeway it was very stable considering it's design. Even in high winds and heavy rain it never scared me. Oh, and I did the factory lowering to it and it was perfect for me. Still a little heavy on single track off road but I never dropped it like I would the KLR.

My current dual sport bike is the DRZ400s. It's lighter than the DR650se so it does work better off road than the other two bikes. And the suspension is "WAY" better than the KLR or DR are. But....I personally would not ride it on the same trips that I rode the DR650 on. I would guess I could do 1/2 the miles at a time without getting off to rest than I could on the DR650.

Also, the DRZ is a lot taller than the DR650 but the lighter weight makes up for it.

Ok, I'm getting a lot more long winded than I planned to....sorry.

If you can I would suggest going to your local dealer and taking a test ride on the DRZ400 and the DR650. At the very least I would site on them.

Oh, I'm 5"9" with a 31" inseam at about 170lbs in full gear.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
__________________
Bikeless at this time
Past Bikes.....Check with my Wife.....I've lost count :-)
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #7518
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
BTW the're some few DRZ400 this year doing Dakar (bored to 440cc).
Sorry i take this back there is no DRZ400 in DAKAR this year i already checked z list, that sucks. I thought these 2 bikes are in for this year but they did z Pharaoh's race a while back. Notice z huge tanks in z back.

DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #7519
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykaw View Post
Anyway my point is that the drz is just a much better bike- I owned both and the drz being only a ten year old vs the 30 years old design of the KLR650 can't compete.....
PS-I am aware they redesigned the KLR a few years ago....
Yeah, redesigned it to be less off road worthy!!!!
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #7520
MacGregor
'S Rioghal Mo Dhream
 
MacGregor's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: In the desert highlands
Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermosley View Post
congrats! you're gonna love it. very solid, fun dependable bike.
Why did you quote me? I've had a DRZ for awhile.
MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #7521
matkal
Assault Commuter
 
matkal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: MI's Thumb :)
Oddometer: 1,632
What needs to be done to install a FMF Q4 from an 'E' onto an 'S'?
Any pics? Thanks.
__________________
'09 R1200GS

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.


ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #7522
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by matkal View Post
What needs to be done to install a FMF Q4 from an 'E' onto an 'S'?
Any pics? Thanks.
FMF ships the Q4 with a reducer slip fitting to mate the full size midpipe of a Q4 to the shrunken diameter "S" header. You will need that, or an "E" header or an FMF header. FMF header is better, because it is a little longer. To leave room for the reducer fitting, the midpipe doesn't come as far forward as stock. With an E header, you will not get much overlap and almost certainly have a small leak.
__________________
Don't drive like my brother!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #7523
matkal
Assault Commuter
 
matkal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: MI's Thumb :)
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
FMF ships the Q4 with a reducer slip fitting to mate the full size midpipe of a Q4 to the shrunken diameter "S" header. You will need that, or an "E" header or an FMF header. FMF header is better, because it is a little longer. To leave room for the reducer fitting, the midpipe doesn't come as far forward as stock. With an E header, you will not get much overlap and almost certainly have a small leak.

Thanks. My concern was with the muffler mount. I have an 'E' header and was planning to buy a new Q4, but I ran across a used Q4 off an 'E'.

So maybe my question should be.... How does the Q4 mount to an 'S'? Pics?
__________________
'09 R1200GS

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.


ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #7524
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 1,657
It mounts to the stock middle mount location at the passenger peg, and then naturally the sliding strap on the can mounts to the stock location up by the seat. I believe the middle mount at the passenger peg is a different location than the middle mount on an E, which is why people end up swapping subframes sometimes. FMF does sell two different part numbers for the S and E.
__________________
Don't drive like my brother!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #7525
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator
 
brothermosley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Medford, MA
Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post
Why did you quote me? I've had a DRZ for awhile.
meant to snag an earlier quote.
__________________
2008 WR250R
brothermosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #7526
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer
 
Plane Dr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: North TX Metromess
Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
It mounts to the stock middle mount location at the passenger peg, and then naturally the sliding strap on the can mounts to the stock location up by the seat. I believe the middle mount at the passenger peg is a different location than the middle mount on an E, which is why people end up swapping subframes sometimes. FMF does sell two different part numbers for the S and E.
The E mount is at the the frame location where the peg mounts on the S. The S has an extra bit of bracket to move the mount aft and slightly down.

I have finished up my winter mods. The HID is awesome and I am very impressed with the CBR tailight. Here is a link to my TT thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939713
__________________
01/09 DRZ470SSW more bits than necesary
2005 R1200 GS AKA The Mothership
2003 Z1000 Nuclear Pumpkin (gone)
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.

Plane Dr screwed with this post 12-29-2010 at 06:20 AM
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #7527
Gian
dreamer
 
Gian's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: north east of Italy
Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Sorry i take this back there is no DRZ400 in DAKAR this year i already checked z list, that sucks. I thought these 2 bikes are in for this year but they did z Pharaoh's race a while back. Notice z huge tanks in z back.

Actually they did (and brilliantly finished) the Africa Race a couple of years ago
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #7528
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
Rather the DRZ 400s, I would give a hard look at the DR 650. Good after market and a pretty good following on here. I own a DRZ 400s and a DR 350s, and I find myself on the DR more than the DRZ for both on and off road. I myself have been looking, reading up on a bigger DIRT / Adventure bike worth the money, and the DR 650 keeps rising to the top. Just my 2 cents. Proably not much lighter though. I think the reason I'm liking the Dr 350s more is becuase of the 6 speed. Even though I have changed the gearing more for off road use, it still cruises 60mph OK. The dirt worthyness of the DR 650 would work for me.
Im another guy with a DR650 and a DRZe 400 with a plate on it,the DR(as I have it set up) is just more of a long trip bike that will still do fine on most dirt riding escapades. DR has more leg room,better cruising speed with out feeling all buzzed out and is the more stable of the two bikes at speed on the hiway by a long shot. The DR is much easier to load like a rented mule for two week jaunts.
When it comes to a mostly dirt ride with some actual trail the DRZe is absolutely a kick in the ass,more of a playbike that can be slid,jumped and haul the mail with out feeling like its too big for the job.
The DR can really move fast down a rough dirt road but best not to pitch it too far sideways and get it in over its head, Ive had the DR in moving water up past the bottom of the gas tank and it never blubber'd once.
Stock airbox and snorkle in place.

Both bikes do a great job at what their meant for.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #7529
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...
 
TinMan207's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Maine -- most days
Oddometer: 1,467
I can only echo what footdragger is saying. +1 DRZ is WAY taller to swing a leg over than my DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Im another guy with a DR650 and a DRZe 400 with a plate on it,the DR(as I have it set up) is just more of a long trip bike that will still do fine on most dirt riding escapades. DR has more leg room,better cruising speed with out feeling all buzzed out and is the more stable of the two bikes at speed on the hiway by a long shot. The DR is much easier to load like a rented mule for two week jaunts.
When it comes to a mostly dirt ride with some actual trail the DRZe is absolutely a kick in the ass,more of a playbike that can be slid,jumped and haul the mail with out feeling like its too big for the job.
The DR can really move fast down a rough dirt road but best not to pitch it too far sideways and get it in over its head, Ive had the DR in moving water up past the bottom of the gas tank and it never blubber'd once.
Stock airbox and snorkle in place.

Both bikes do a great job at what their meant for.
__________________
When I was young I hoped to be Rich and good looking. At this point, I think that having great stories of many adventures is a much better plan

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #7530
Helikoptermann
bloody german...
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
When you say 30/70 off/on dirt/street are you talking about gravel/fire roads or more technical stuff off road?
...
Is street commuting on a hwy or surface streets?
...
If you can I would suggest going to your local dealer and taking a test ride on the DRZ400 and the DR650. At the very least I would site on them.



Jon...
For the offroad part, its mostly forestry roads and some footpaths (the situation in germany is a bit different than in e.g. the US. Itīs generally not allowed to ride into the woods etc, although itīs seldomly being enforced).
So no real technical stuff, more like "letīs see, what we get into"

For the street part, thereīs no freeway, but maybe a short highway stretch, if itīs not avoidable. But mostly surface roads, preferrably with some twisties...

Iīd love to go to a dealer, and just test ride, but both, the DR650 and the DRZ, have been discontinued in Germany/Europe a couple of years ago. So used is the only way to go here...

Overall, this is nothing more than just thinking out loud right now. My KLR will stay with me for at least another season, mostly for money reasons, but also, because a 1500 buck-KLR is just right for a beginner (I just started riding in this yearīs march).

Tim
__________________
If it has tits or wheels it will bring you problems
Helikoptermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014