Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #7576
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP View Post
I also used tire beads with good luck for fine tuning the balance.

They say they work to 60-70 mph as i remember...but i never get up that fast w/DR-Z.

Of course slime doesnt go well with them.
Dynabeads have been tested to over 150 mph with good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA976 View Post
Have you converted to tubeless tires/wheels? How do the beads work with tubed tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_rally View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
The beads work well in tube type tires also. The beads go into the tube easier if done before putting the tube into the tire.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #7577
Westy123
Old Sod

Oddometer: 78
Question DRZ400 Gear Ratios?

I have 2 DRZ400's that I use for Adventure riding, after 50,000km I find the bike great the only failing is the close ratio gearbox. If I have the right sprockets for fast track or road use first gear is to high for the tight trails.

Has any one tried to use the Quad engine from Suzuki LT Z400 which is basicly the same engine (I think the engine mounting points are different) but with wider gear ratios, or tried to change either first (which would mean a shaft change) or fifth gear to give a wider range? Do's anyone know if there is a Company that manufactures a pair of gears to replace the firth gears to get the ratio higher or any gears from other Suzukis would give the same result?

Thanks and Regards Westy
New Zealand
Westy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #7578
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy123 View Post
I have 2 DRZ400's that I use for Adventure riding, after 50,000km I find the bike great the only failing is the close ratio gearbox. If I have the right sprockets for fast track or road use first gear is to high for the tight trails.

Has any one tried to use the Quad engine from Suzuki LT Z400 which is basicly the same engine (I think the engine mounting points are different) but with wider gear ratios, or tried to change either first (which would mean a shaft change) or fifth gear to give a wider range? Do's anyone know if there is a Company that manufactures a pair of gears to replace the firth gears to get the ratio higher or any gears from other Suzukis would give the same result?

Thanks and Regards Westy
New Zealand
I read over on Thumpertalk about a guy that changed fifth gear to something that gave him drastically higher gearing, I think he used the gear from third, but I'm not really sure. Search around and you'll find it. Then you can have super low sprockets for singletrack, and still have a tall fifth gear for interstate.

No company makes gear sets for drz's, just too expensive and too small of a crowd to be worth it. Personally, I like the gearing on the drz, but then again I'm in the desert, so I'm not hopping logs or going up muddy singletrack hills.

“And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #7579
Westy123
Old Sod

Oddometer: 78
Gear ratios

THanks for that I will take a look on Thumper. Rob
Westy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #7580
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy123 View Post

Thanks and Regards Westy
New Zealand
Change out 1 of the DRZ's for a DR650. So nice riding down the road!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #7581
Cali Native
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Steering lock key blanks wtf?

broke my key in the steering lock dealer doesn't have one but they could order it for get this $15.95! I might sound like a cheap bastard but come on it's just a shitty little key blank. I tried the local lock shop and no dice. Anyway might anyone know w.here t.o f.ind one? Thanks and cheers!
Cali Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #7582
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Native View Post
Anyway might anyone know w.here t.o f.ind one? Thanks and cheers!
E-bay...
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #7583
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 817
Try another locksmith. My local small shop (before it burned down) had plenty that fit the lock. Nothing special about it.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #7584
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
The beads work well in tube type tires also. The beads go into the tube easier if done before putting the tube into the tire.
So you... what, remove the check valve out of the tube stem, fill the tube with beads, then replace the Schraeder valve and install as usual? How many -or- how much bead do you put in, about an ounce or so? I'm intrigued about this...
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #7585
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 235
My bulleted list of observations/questions about my new DR-Z. It should be noted that I have a grand total of 185 all-street miles of experience with this actual bike so far.

1. Someone screwed up at the factory when they built this one- they forgot to install the 6th gear.

2. Why does everyone use the 60CSX unit for their GPS needs? It would appear to me that there are better options?

3. I plan to delete the kick stand and clutch switches this or next weekend, but from past performance and experiences, is there any need to disassemble and grease the swingarm and headstock bearings? I've read they are sometimes assembled pretty dry, but if that's not true I'd rather not get into a project that intense.

4. Bad seat. Bad. Ouch.

5. Would installing an hour meter be useful? Are there any maintenance intervals that are more dependent on time than miles? I would think it would be very useful.

6. This bike is sprung too soft (I weigh about 260 w/out gear). I need to take the shock & forks to someone to re-spring, re-valve and pour in heavier weight oil. Or is that something that could be done by a reasonably competent DIY'er?

7. Who's got a source for the open-cell'd foam to put between the as-yet uninstalled skid plate and the bottom of the engine case? Or do folks not do that anymore?

8. Would after-market case guards eventually conflict with installation of the Suzuki kick-start kit, or are they a pretty good fit?

9. Is the Suzuki kick start kit the unit to buy, or is there a better solution from the aftermarket? Is installation a DIY job, or does it require some super-human knowledge and tool collection?

10. Does anyone have- or have a source for- a digital copy of the service (not owner's) manual for the '09 model? Could you forward it to me?

11. Does anyone make a white after-market 4.0+ gallon tank to match the stock white body work? Not that translucent white, opaque white like the fenders & number plate.

12. Do frame covers do anything functional, or are they there just to protect the finish of the frame near where your boots would scuff it?

13. Is the Vapor dash the way to go for gauges? I sure would like a tach on this bike. And some water & oil temp gauges would be nice, too. I believe the Vapor has this functionality.

14. If I were to buy a second set of rims (which I very badly want to do), would it be easier/cheaper/quicker to just buy a set of rims already made, or build my own from components? Has anyone built rims for their DR-Z yet, and how do you now like them?

OK - that's all for now.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #7586
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
My bulleted list of observations/questions about my new DR-Z. It should be noted that I have a grand total of 185 all-street miles of experience with this actual bike so far.

1. Someone screwed up at the factory when they built this one- they forgot to install the 6th gear.

2. Why does everyone use the 60CSX unit for their GPS needs? It would appear to me that there are better options?

3. I plan to delete the kick stand and clutch switches this or next weekend, but from past performance and experiences, is there any need to disassemble and grease the swingarm and headstock bearings? I've read they are sometimes assembled pretty dry, but if that's not true I'd rather not get into a project that intense.

4. Bad seat. Bad. Ouch.

5. Would installing an hour meter be useful? Are there any maintenance intervals that are more dependent on time than miles? I would think it would be very useful.

6. This bike is sprung too soft (I weigh about 260 w/out gear). I need to take the shock & forks to someone to re-spring, re-valve and pour in heavier weight oil. Or is that something that could be done by a reasonably competent DIY'er?

7. Who's got a source for the open-cell'd foam to put between the as-yet uninstalled skid plate and the bottom of the engine case? Or do folks not do that anymore?

8. Would after-market case guards eventually conflict with installation of the Suzuki kick-start kit, or are they a pretty good fit?

9. Is the Suzuki kick start kit the unit to buy, or is there a better solution from the aftermarket? Is installation a DIY job, or does it require some super-human knowledge and tool collection?

10. Does anyone have- or have a source for- a digital copy of the service (not owner's) manual for the '09 model? Could you forward it to me?

11. Does anyone make a white after-market 4.0+ gallon tank to match the stock white body work? Not that translucent white, opaque white like the fenders & number plate.

12. Do frame covers do anything functional, or are they there just to protect the finish of the frame near where your boots would scuff it?

13. Is the Vapor dash the way to go for gauges? I sure would like a tach on this bike. And some water & oil temp gauges would be nice, too. I believe the Vapor has this functionality.

14. If I were to buy a second set of rims (which I very badly want to do), would it be easier/cheaper/quicker to just buy a set of rims already made, or build my own from components? Has anyone built rims for their DR-Z yet, and how do you now like them?

OK - that's all for now.
Howdy

Last summer I re-valved and re-sprung both forks and re-sprung the shock. The bike is MUCH better and you WILL notice a big difference if you spring and valve to your weight.

I am reasonably decent with a sert of tools, I've put a BB kit, cams, FCR carb, new exhaust system, and a ton of other maintenance. The re-valving was a little tedious but doable if you're willing to tackle the forks. I've had to change 2 sets of fork seals so I've been into the forks a few times now so it's not too weird for me. Buy yourself a Clymer manual and go. For suspension I highly recommend Race Techs Suspension Bible if you plan to do it yourself, If not, send the shock and forks to a good suspension shop and you'll be happy with the results.

I would re-grease the suspension bearings and steering head at some point especially if the bike has seen some water. I do water crossings whenever I can so I do it at least once a year.
Yup the seat sucks. I'm planning on the Seatconcepts.com replacement here fairly soon to get something better suited for my ass. I've heard great things about the seat from them. I will say I have been in email contact with them and they are excellent at getting back to you quickly and their prices are reasonable IMO.

The normal DRZ400 is not great at highway speeds but it's OK. If you plan on dirt diring a lot, I would lower the gear a bit for your weight. 14/47 is a very dirtworthy gearing, but you notice it revving a lot at highway speeds. I've got 14/45 on mine and like it. Once I replace the set I'll probable keep it that way as I like the setup for my weight and riding I do. The DRZ is going to be sluggish at highway speeds for you. IMO, I would not use higher gearing for highway use unless you'll be doing the big bore kit and cams etc.

IMO, money best spent is upgrading your suspension. You'll get the best bang for your buck as the bike is undersprung for you.

Good luck and enjoy the bike. It's an excellent "do-all" bike, and very reliable. I've enjoyed mine emmensely and ride it moderately hard.

Garrett
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #7587
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
My bulleted list of observations/questions about my new DR-Z....
Welcome to DRZ ownership. My advice: Just ride the damn thing. With a grand total of 185 of all-street miles, you're WAY, WAY, WAY overthinking this. There's plenty of time to start working down your list and your opinion on lots of things will change as time goes on.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #7588
bronco78
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Native View Post
broke my key in the steering lock dealer doesn't have one but they could order it for get this $15.95! I might sound like a cheap bastard but come on it's just a shitty little key blank. I tried the local lock shop and no dice. Anyway might anyone know w.here t.o f.ind one? Thanks and cheers!
Different dealer, or try a local locksmith.

It's a $6 part,, order it your self from Ronayers.com.. though you'll still have to get it cut, which means back to a lock smith
bronco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #7589
RJP
Time-Deficient Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
So you... what, remove the check valve out of the tube stem, fill the tube with beads, then replace the Schraeder valve and install as usual? How many -or- how much bead do you put in, about an ounce or so? I'm intrigued about this...
Yup - that's about it. The "kit" comes with the beads in a clear tube that has marks on it showing how much to add down the stem into the tube. takes a minute or 2 to add them then to air up again.

Even though you can, I dont use then as primary method of balancing - just to fine tune the balance. Maybe i still have some sketpicism?

They are recyclable - just save them when you change the tube and add to next tube.

Dyna bead info here: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
02 TTR-125LP
RJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #7590
bronco78
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:

Yes the steering head, swing arm, rear suspension bearings all need service if not done yet.. Then again every year or so depending on your type of use.
Quote:
Never a bad idea..your going to hear all kinds of answers on maintenance.. read um all and make up your own mind.

Once you decide on oil change intervals, valve clearance checks, and the like.. an hour meter is the best tracker.
Quote:

The springs rates are wrong at both ends for most riders.

Springs are an easy swap for a experienced competent home wrench.
Not sure what the ADV rules are for linking to outside content... But if ya want PM me and I can point you to articles I know have been written for the subject.... Really though, the DRZ does much better when the forks and shock are sprung and valved for the users weight, riding style...PM me for other options

Quote:

case guards for this bike are applied directly to the case sides with silicone adhesive.. They do not interfere with any other accessories, to include the optional kick start kit.
Quote:

it's the only kit, direct from the OEM. DO NOT LISTEN to anyone that says the kit does not fit an S model.,, they are incorrect.. the OEM kick start kit fits all DRZ models, all years. You will need to be an experienced wrench, and have more then the sears $99 tool collection.. But many a user have installed these at home.

In this thread there is a link to one users install article... that will give you an idea.
Quote:

Keep in mind, on the S, there are no real differences between model years 2003 and 2010.. So don’t sweat the needing a 2009 manual.
Quote:

IMS, Clark, others make 4gal tanks in white... Do a google pic search and decide for your self if it matches enough for your needs..
Quote:

Protection of finish only (not even that really, the finish under the guard gets rubbed through anyway) The advantage is, the carbon fiber, aluminum or plastic guard can be cleaned up or replaced for a nice finish.

Quote:

OK - that's all for now.

I've built wheels using OEM hubs, and after market hubs, currently there are some great options for prebuilt wheel sets... if I was looking for DRZ wheels.. Id hunt for an OEM set from bike part out, or purchase a prebuilt set.
bronco78 is offline   Reply With Quote