User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #7591
flyjosh
Stave It Off!!!

Oddometer: 249
Dyna Beads

If you're gonna use the beads, find some filtered valve stems. Whenever I check my tire pressure, one of the beads gets caught in the stem and my tire goes flat. The only fix is to before checking, put a shot of air in to dislodge the bead in there, then it will check fine. A filtered stem will keep the beads out. Too much of a pain in the ass for me, I won't be using them again.
flyjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #7592
calebM89

Oddometer: n/a
Fuel tank?

My girlfriend and I are looking at putting larger fuel tanks on our 2008 DRZ's. I have found all sorts of different tanks but want one that will not be too big and heavy but still give us extra fuel for when we ride the Trans American Trail this June... I want one that we don't have to do anything but bolt it on. I have heard the Clarke 3.9 fits well but I also ran across the Acerbis 4.25 and have heard it fits well and are reasonably priced. I also like how it is available in black...

Any more suggestions or pointers???

Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #7593
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,839
I'll address two of the things:

Garmin 60 CSx/Cx. : They are so widely used because they work great and tried and true. They are also at a price point that is where most people wanna be. You can buy the more expensive units, but it does not necessarily mean they will meet your GPS needs any better than the Garmin 60 series. Delorme P40(IIRC) is also what a lot of people like. Maps are much cheaper from Delorme.

I have a 60 Cx, and got my maps for free from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ and they work great. I was too cheap to pay another $99 for maps, once I already paid for the unit....$260 a year or so ago..they go for $200 now.

Skidplate: Tonns...hands down, the best one out there, in my opinion.

http://www.tonnsfabrication.com/

A close second is the Rugged Rider unit...which was modeled after the Tonns unit. Nicole, a member here, is also the owner of RuggedRider.
I call it a close second, personally, due to the holes...they can allow mud in and make it cake against the motor.

http://ruggedrider.com/products.html

Both of these units bolt directly to the frame bosses, and have no exposed bolt heads....which is a great feature of a well designed skidplate. Also, due to the fact of how they mount, you do not need any foam to place between them and the frame. The cheaper skid plates, that use clamps around the frame rails, are probably the ones that need that.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 01-06-2011 at 10:37 AM
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #7594
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebM89 View Post
My girlfriend and I are looking at putting larger fuel tanks on our 2008 DRZ's. I have found all sorts of different tanks but want one that will not be too big and heavy but still give us extra fuel for when we ride the Trans American Trail this June... I want one that we don't have to do anything but bolt it on. I have heard the Clarke 3.9 fits well but I also ran across the Acerbis 4.25 and have heard it fits well and are reasonably priced. I also like how it is available in black...

The Acerbis 4.25 is in reality, 3.7 gallons. At least mine is...not sure if the affected tanks are all of them, or just the E/k models.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #7595
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebM89 View Post

I'd go with the Clarke tank, I've squeezed 16 litres in to the one on my partners DRZ. I used to have the Acerbis tank on my old DRZ400S but do remember that you had to remove the radiator fan to do so, hence preferring the Clarke tank which bolts straight on. One benefit of the Acerbis though was that it ran a fuel tap each side rather than the single tap on the Clarke.

My partner recently completed a 4 month solo ride on her DRZ through South America. There's a comprehensive prep report on the bike that I posted up in her Ride Report that I've linked to here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648915

In addition to the 5 litre fuel incorporated in to the luggage racks, she also had a 10 litre fuel bladder for those longer stretches without fuel stations, I think she needed it a few times on the trip.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #7596
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

Does that skid plate have a hole for oil changes? Or do you have to remove it each time you drain the engine oil?
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #7597
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
The Acerbis 4.25 is in reality, 3.7 gallons. At least mine is...not sure if the affected tanks are all of them, or just the E/k models.
FWIW, if I run my Acerbis dry and fill it up, it's exactly 4.0 gallons. E model here.

trey
Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #7598
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
I'll address two of the things:

Garmin 60 CSx/Cx. : They are so widely used because they work great and tried and true. They are also at a price point that is where most people wanna be. You can buy the more expensive units, but it does not necessarily mean they will meet your GPS needs any better than the Garmin 60 series. Delorme P40(IIRC) is also what a lot of people like. Maps are much cheaper from Delorme.

I have a 60 Cx, and got my maps for free from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ and they work great. I was too cheap to pay another $99 for maps, once I already paid for the unit....$260 a year or so ago..they go for $200 now.

A close second is the Rugged Rider unit...which was modeled after the Tonns unit. Nicole, a member here, is also the owner of RuggedRider.
I call it a close second, personally, due to the holes...they can allow mud in and make it cake against the motor.

http://ruggedrider.com/products.html

Both of these units bolt directly to the frame bosses, and have no exposed bolt heads....which is a great feature of a well designed skidplate. Also, due to the fact of how they mount, you do not need any foam to place between them and the frame. The cheaper skid plates, that use clamps around the frame rails, are probably the ones that need that.

Like most thing, which GPS you choose should be based on how you're going to use it. If you need one for directions to the nearest pizza joint the 60/76 series is not the best choice. There are units half the price that do routing way better for that. But if you need a unit for off road use, one that will take topo maps and one that can upload and download tracks (not routes, they are different) then its a great choice. Very few, if any, of the street biased units can do that. And if you ride in organized dual sport rides, such as those put on by the AMA (I ride District 37) the promoter most likely will have tracks for the Garmin units.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #7599
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA976 View Post
Does that skid plate have a hole for oil changes? Or do you have to remove it each time you drain the engine oil?
It does have a hole in it for oil changes. I personally take it off each time, just to make it easier. Some don't. It is personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybrad View Post
FWIW, if I run my Acerbis dry and fill it up, it's exactly 4.0 gallons. E model here.

trey
I know Justgastanks.com also lists it at 3.7 gallons. I have heard rumors of them having different volumes through the years. I know from dry, new,mine only took 3.6 gallons. I did not wanna get too close to the cap area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
Like most thing, which GPS you choose should be based on how you're going to use it. If you need one for directions to the nearest pizza joint the 60/76 series is not the best choice. There are units half the price that do routing way better for that. But if you need a unit for off road use, one that will take topo maps and one that can upload and download tracks (not routes, they are different) then its a great choice. Very few, if any, of the street biased units can do that. And if you ride in organized dual sport rides, such as those put on by the AMA (I ride District 37) the promoter most likely will have tracks for the Garmin units.
yeah, I take for granted, when people are referring to GPS for the DRZ...they are interested in just offroad. I have a copmplete different unit, TomTom 720, for use on the street and my street bike.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #7600
ZukiNoomin
The Dude abides

Oddometer: 284
Skid Plate Suggestion

I have used one of these:

http://69.94.125.252/store/page165.html

Ricochet / Utah SportCycle guards
for four years on my DRZ.
Great price, great protection, easy oil drain access.

ZukiNoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #7601
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA976 View Post
So you... what, remove the check valve out of the tube stem, fill the tube with beads, then replace the Schraeder valve and install as usual? How many -or- how much bead do you put in, about an ounce or so? I'm intrigued about this...
Yes, remove the valve and put the beads in slowly or else they'll bunch up. Then replace the valve and put the tube into the tire. 1 1/2 oz for the front and 2 oz for the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjosh View Post
If you're gonna use the beads, find some filtered valve stems. Whenever I check my tire pressure, one of the beads gets caught in the stem and my tire goes flat. The only fix is to before checking, put a shot of air in to dislodge the bead in there, then it will check fine. A filtered stem will keep the beads out. Too much of a pain in the ass for me, I won't be using them again.
I've never had a problem with just using the regular cores, but
innovativebalancing.com has the beads and filtered cores.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #7602
createAbang
Vagabundos del Moto

Oddometer: 59
+1 on both the Clark 3.9 tank and the Rugged Rider bash plate. Installed them on 2 DRZ SMs (wife's & mine). Easy installation & work as advertised.

createAbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #7603
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
I have ridden 180 to 190 miles several times on my green DRZ-S with my Clarke 3.9 tank, and did not hit reserve. I usually ride easily, without reving the crap out of it, so YMMV. I put 3.6 gals in it once during a fillup; some say the actual capacity is greater than 4 gals. Anything over 200 miles would make me nervous, though. But 190 miles is usually a longer range than most of my riding companions (except for those KLR's).

murgatroid42 screwed with this post 01-07-2011 at 09:05 PM
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #7604
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,632
Got a Clarke 3.9 here No problems installing or with the gas cap.

Got a FMF Q4 for my 'S' today

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #7605
calebM89

Oddometer: n/a
Thanks

Thank you guys for the info I think we will go with the Clarke. I think the 3.9 and the extra fuel we will have will be more than enough... thanks again!