Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #751
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
Has anyone tried a sheepskin seat pad to make the seat more comfortable?
I have one, and it makes a difference. With only the stock seat, a 130 mile ride would really hurt. I now know exactly where my prostate is. With the sheepskin, 200 miles is tolerable. I have ridden 400 mile days with padded bicycle short and the sheepskin, and it wasn't too bad. Maybe my arse is getting tougher, but I'm using my sheepskin on all long trips.

I was worried that the sheepskin wouldn't fit my green DRZ-S well, but when I got it, it was literally a perfect fit on the stock seat.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #752
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
I have one, and it makes a difference. With only the stock seat, a 130 mile ride would really hurt. I now know exactly where my prostate is. With the sheepskin, 200 miles is tolerable. I have ridden 400 mile days with padded bicycle short and the sheepskin, and it wasn't too bad. Maybe my arse is getting tougher, but I'm using my sheepskin on all long trips.

I was worried that the sheepskin wouldn't fit my green DRZ-S well, but when I got it, it was literally a perfect fit on the stock seat.
What size did you get?
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #753
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Huzband,

A Sargent seat? Never heard of them. Do you have any more info on it? The stock seats on these bike are the worst thing IMO. Corbins are nice but pricey.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #754
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband
What size did you get?
I got the "DUALSPORT FULL SADDLE-15"x29" Deluxe model", $99.95. The Alaska leathers web site says it was designed for the BMW 1150 Adventure, so I was skeptical that it would fit the long and narrow DRZ seat. However, I called up and told them I wanted one for a DRZ400S. I didn't know if they had one that was custom fit for the Suzuki, but the one they sent me covered the seat perfectly. The actual shape does not look like the oval on the web site, it is cut to fit the DRZ. I was pleasantly surprised. It does raise the seat height a little, due to the thickness of the pad.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #755
Huzband
Team Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Huzband,

A Sargent seat? Never heard of them. Do you have any more info on it? The stock seats on these bike are the worst thing IMO. Corbins are nice but pricey.
What do you get when you cover a 2 X 12 with leather?

A Corbin seat.

Try this;

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Old 03-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #756
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
I have one, and it makes a difference. With only the stock seat, a 130 mile ride would really hurt. I now know exactly where my prostate is. With the sheepskin, 200 miles is tolerable.

Growing up, the expression "numb nuts" was popular. I never really knew what it was until I took some long rides on the DRZ.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #757
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Other seat options...

Thought I'd chime in here and let you guys know that Saddlemen and Pro Pad also make seat pads. Haven't seen the ones from Alaska Leather but I did take a look at their website with the link provided by scooteraug02. It appears they have more size options than Saddlemen or Pro Pad but I didn't see anywhere on there where it tells what kind of padding Alaska Leather uses besides the actual sheepskin. Anyway, Saddlemen and Pro Pad offers what they call "visco-elastic" dry polymer seat pads which they claim is "not a gel" but is feels just like a gel seat. Appears they don't offer as many sizes as Alaska Leather but you can choose between them being covered in sheepskin, Spandura vinyl, or as a raw gel pad for you to cover yourself. Prices range from $53 - $156 depending on size and covering. If anyone's interested in one I'm sure most of your local dealers can probably get them direct or some size options are available to dealers from Parts Unlimited. If your local dealers won't help let me know and I'll be glad to help anyone looking for one. Also provided links below...

http://www.saddlemen.com/products/products.html

http://www.thepropad.com/

Haven't tried one personally yet, but considering it. I usually average 100-150 miles a ride so would probably feel good by the end of the day.
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #758
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,882
Quote:

A Corbin seat.
True, but it's better than the stocker! I've got a Corbin on mine and, although there may be better seats out there, I wouldn't trade mine especially after breaking that bitch in after 3k miles.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #759
CATCH-22
Sublime ADVenturer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:

A Corbin seat.
Well,when I ordered my corbin I asked for 2" extra foam.I can ride for hours,I have no complaint's.
CATCH-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #760
Huzband
Team Dirt

I knew I'd get it for that one. I was just funnin' about.

If there weren't so many different butts out there, there wouldn't be so many seat companies.

One mans torture rack is another mans nirvana.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #761
Dude
super-retard

Oddometer: 70
My experience with Corbin has been good. My butt likes the hard seat better than soft and I have not had the problems with service that others have complained about, mostly because the seats came and never gave me trouble. They are too expensive. That said, I got to spend some time on a Seargent and though it was great. The DR/DRZ seats are horrible from the factory and almost anything is an improvement.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #762
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynpath
Well,when I ordered my corbin I asked for 2" extra foam.I can ride for hours,I have no complaint's.
I did the same here. The Corbin on my DRZ was one of the most comfortable motorcycle seat I had, second only to the stock seat on my Buell Ulysses.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #763
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Went to Sargent web site and didn't find a seat listed for the DRZ. Does anyone have a Sargent?Don't have a Corbin butt and would like a better seat. I have made my own sheepskin pads before for about $40.00
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #764
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
Went to Sargent web site and didn't find a seat listed for the DRZ. Does anyone have a Sargent?Don't have a Corbin butt and would like a better seat. I have made my own sheepskin pads before for about $40.00
Call their 800 number and ask for Rudy.. I think it will be in their custom menu. $299. ??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #765
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider
Call their 800 number and ask for Rudy.. I think it will be in their custom menu. $299. ??
$299? That's about 50 less than Corbin. I'm going to try the DIY method I think: get some better foam from the local upholstery and maybe some better vinyl too then start tearin and trimmin.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote