Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #781
AdventureGirl
AG

Oddometer: 99
Adventureizing the 400

Hi All,

After a couple of years owning this nearly brand new 2003 DRZ400s I've decided to adventurize it as that is the style riding I like best (a month on a Tiger in NZ and many multi week adventures on a DL1000). To do so I need some advice regarding luggage! I'm a Givi nut and have all three of my other bikes outfitted with racks that can take a Givi box. I would really like to do the same with the drz (don't want to buy different adv luggage and the Givi is plenty tough). I've searched the web but have not found anything that will take a Givi style mount.

I'd also like some advice on the seat. I've got a gel seat with the a bit carved out (gets the height down without touching the suspenstion) still, its a bit hard on my buns for a long ride. I heard someone mention a sheepskin as a possibility. What makes that usefull?

Finally, what is the recommended tire configuration. I currently have dot knobs on front and back. I'm thinking of putting a dual sport on the front and leaving the knobs on the back. When I took a dirt riding course at the 'Mystery School' a few years back, that was the conifguration on the 2 fiddies that they had. Seemed to work really good and I think it would make the bike more stable when I 'have' to get on a slab.

This summer I'm planning a trip (probably solo) from Seattle to Skagit then ferry back. It would be the first decent run on the DRZ as an adventure bike. (any route recommendations welcome)

Paula
AdventureGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #782
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureGirl
Finally, what is the recommended tire configuration. I currently have dot knobs on front and back. I'm thinking of putting a dual sport on the front and leaving the knobs on the back. When I took a dirt riding course at the 'Mystery School' a few years back, that was the conifguration on the 2 fiddies that they had. Seemed to work really good and I think it would make the bike more stable when I 'have' to get on a slab.

This summer I'm planning a trip (probably solo) from Seattle to Skagit then ferry back. It would be the first decent run on the DRZ as an adventure bike. (any route recommendations welcome)

Paula
Paula,

Tires are a pretty subjective topic for these bikes. Most people who offroad these bikes at all find the factory installed Trailwings (aka deathwings) terrible in the dirt. If you're going to do pavement, gravel roads and some dirt, I recomend a 50/50 tire like Kenda 270 or Maxxis 6006. If you end up doing mostly dirt, some gravel and very little pavement, then go with Dunlop 606, Pirelli MT21 or Michelin AC10. There are others but most DOT rated tires fall into either 50/50 or 90/10 categories. I guess part of the "adventure" is working through which tire setup works best for your type of riding. I've been running regular nobbies on my KLX400 because I offroad a lot. I will be slabbing it a lot this summer with gas prices what they are and I'll be grinding down the nobs real fast.

Good luck with the luggage search. If you strike out, look for a small time fabricator in your area. Show them the bracketry on your other bikes and if they're any good at all, they can make something to fit your DRZ. It may cost a little more than a "factory made" rack but it accomplish your goals.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #783
AdventureGirl
AG

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Hi All,

After a couple of years owning this nearly brand new 2003 DRZ400s I've decided to adventurize it as that is the style riding I like best (a month on a Tiger in NZ and many multi week adventures on a DL1000). To do so I need some advice regarding luggage! I'm a Givi nut and have all three of my other bikes outfitted with racks that can take a Givi box. I would really like to do the same with the drz (don't want to buy different adv luggage and the Givi is plenty tough). I've searched the web but have not found anything that will take a Givi style mount.

I'd also like some advice on the seat. I've got a gel seat with the a bit carved out (gets the height down without touching the suspenstion) still, its a bit hard on my buns for a long ride. I heard someone mention a sheepskin as a possibility. What makes that usefull?

Paula

Thanks for the link wierdpenguien, the tail rack looks like exactly what I want!

I'll be doing a bit more research on the tires Taco250:-)

Paula
AdventureGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #784
hyak107
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Hey guys, I picked up an '07 DRZ400S with 410 miles a couple of weeks ago. Not enough room in the garage so she lives in the front hallway right now. I previously had a KLR650 and still have an XT225 in the garage. It took some time to get used to the height of the DRZ but I'm getting more and more comfortable with it. Next challenge is getting comfortable off-road (easy to put my feet down on trails with the XT).

This thread has a lot of great info!

hyak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #785
Raven_F800GS
Otogai

Oddometer: 12
Question luggage racks for DR-Z 400E

Hi Guys!

Can anyone help me with finding that stuff?

Thanks in advance!
Husaberg FE570 - Pure Power
Raven_F800GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #786
hart11b
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
Edge II
Why do you say that? Wheeling Cycle Supply says the original Edge is specifically built for the DRZ400S. Wht buy a universal product vs. something that bolts right on?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #787
GooseR6
Ride the World!

Oddometer: 101
Raven-

I just bought the Pro Moto Billet rack for my DRZ - E. I am really happy with it so far. They don't hold a lot of weight (due to the subframe) but perfect for what I am going to use it for. Anyway here is the link:

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id/187
Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #788
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
racks

I like my Suzuki MFG'ed rack on my S. Was an easy install and fits great.
Too lazy to take a pic of mine, but looks just like this without the box... http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...rack-rside.jpg
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #789
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredpenguin
Paula,

I use Happy Trials SU racks on my DRZ. I'm not using Givi boxes, but they do sell the racks with an option for the Givi boxes.

Happy-Trails SU Racks:

http://happy-trail.com/ProductInfo.a...0DRZ-400S-SU-B

Photo of Happy Trails SU racks & Corbin seat:
The rack in the link has a brace that goes around the outside of the rear fender, while yours goes inside! I like yours better, is it an update?
Do these fit E models as well?
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #790
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

the zuki's rack attaches to the seat bolts and through the fender to the subframe where the OEM tool bag used to sleep. Comes with all hardware and a new canister (mounted to the left side of the rack) to put those tools in that got displaced when ya removed the OEM tool bag. I am very happy with mine.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #791
PharmerKyle
navelgazer, sector7G

Oddometer: 5,194
part order day

So what's the best gearing change for occaisional highway use. I'm pretty mellow off road and don't need hill climbing & wheelie help.
That's the problem.
It's not the photographer's fault."

PharmerKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #792
pi3832
New to dirt

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
I'm a Givi nut and have all three of my other bikes outfitted with racks that can take a Givi box. I would really like to do the same with the drz (don't want to buy different adv luggage and the Givi is plenty tough). I've searched the web but have not found anything that will take a Givi style mount.
If you get the Suzuki six-pack rack, you should be able to fit a Givi topcase adapter plate.

Not the cheapest way to go, but it should work.
pi3832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #793
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmerKyle
So what's the best gearing change for occaisional highway use. I'm pretty mellow off road and don't need hill climbing & wheelie help.
2x...
I want to be able to run 75mph on the interstate and not be tachin so high (or burnin so much fuel). What is a good setup. I enjoy fire/dirt/gravel roads, but an not gonna do single track with mine. I mainly commute at or below 50mph.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #794
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black06LJ
2x...
I want to be able to run 75mph on the interstate and not be tachin so high (or burnin so much fuel). What is a good setup. I enjoy fire/dirt/gravel roads, but an not gonna do single track with mine. I mainly commute at or below 50mph.
Here's a summary of what I tried...
http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZgea.php

The stock 15/44 likely will work best for your situation, although if you want less revs on the highway you may want to try 15/41.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #795
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by paochow
Here's a summary of what I tried...
http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZgea.php

The stock 15/44 likely will work best for your situation, although if you want less revs on the highway you may want to try 15/41.
Thanks. 15/41 looks good to me. My 15/44 gets my fat butt up to 87mph. I just want better rpm at 75mph.