Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #811
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm
Ok I think I am going to be getting myself a DRZe model....but to be quite honest I like the Kawasaki green better. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but just for my own edification....

KLX 400 is the same as a DRZ S model and not an E....is that correct?

Does the KLXs have a FCR or Mikuni carb.....Think Mikuni since the DRZ changed to Mikuni in 04 (I think that is correct)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Green version of the S is the KLXSR, the KLXR is the E.
The US only got both in 03, I think a Canadian here said they got the R in 04?

S & SR have the mikuni, R & E have the FCR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open
Any of youse have both a top rack (maybe the Suzuki or the Pro Moto) AND Dirt Bagz (with their support rods) installed?

If so, did the supports for the Dirt Bagz and the top rack mounts conflict?

And also if so, is there a photo of your set-up on one of the Z threads?

Muchas gracias.
I have the zuki top rack & expanding tail bag, goes great with the dirt bagz, no conflicts.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #812
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,397
The KLX400s are sort of Limited Edition models...
At least that's what I tell my wife.
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #813
PunaRider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Tires and that chain tensioner thingie

Aloha DRZ riders,

I recently bought a 2002 DRZ400S. It came with a FMF Q exhaust. No other mods. Runs a tad lean. Been having a blast with it.
Tires being subjective notwithstanding, as the Trailwings will need replacement (4000 miles and counting), for someone living in a place that just gets a lot of rain, what are your experiences with good traction tires appropriate for 90% street, 10% dirt road?

And have any of you actually experienced the chain tensioner thing crapping out? I have a disposition to not replace stuff that actually works.

Thanks for any scoops you may have!
PunaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #814
SaMo_moto
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfdgalantes98
anyone got a suggestion a loud pipe for my drz400e ive heard the yosh is the loudest but is there another???
I'm rocking the full Yosh titanium pipe. Nice and loud. Great for getting the attention of cars / city traffic / lane-splitting here in So. Cal.

I also recommend the Stebel horn while you're at it.
SaMo_moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #815
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMo_moto
I'm rocking the full Yosh titanium pipe. Nice and loud.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #816
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,856
PunaRider,

The 02 models do NOT have a good rep for CCTs. I'd fit a manual one...very cheap insurance.

See Thumpertalk.com for advice on carb mods (3X3 airbox mod and jetting advice for your pipe)

Depending on how you like the Trailwings in the mud (they're real bad in the mud we have here) I'd stay with those. They have a bad rep but actually do make fairly good rain tires on the pavement. You can get them cheap from guys trading for other tires. Other than that, find other riders in your area and ask them what they like for your conditions.

In general, it's better to use a good nobby on the street (and slow down appropriately) than it is to use ANY street tire in the dirt. Good knobbies for your terrain will totaly transform the bike in the dirt. Just remember your not Barry Sheen on the street.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #817
Odin69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMo_moto
I'm rocking the full Yosh titanium pipe. Nice and loud. Great for getting the attention of cars / city traffic / lane-splitting here in So. Cal.
I have commuted from the Bay Area for years, and have heard many loud bikes pass me while sitting in my work truck during traffic. The problem is you don't hear them until after they pass you. So, I don't really see how the "Loud pipes save lives" theory holds up. You may have a loud pipe, but the noise is being projected behind you, not in front. Besides, most people have their windows up with the radio on, do you really think they can hear you coming up from behind?
Odin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #818
GuzziMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin69
I have commuted from the Bay Area for years, and have heard many loud bikes pass me while sitting in my work truck during traffic. The problem is you don't hear them until after they pass you. So, I don't really see how the "Loud pipes save lives" theory holds up. You may have a loud pipe, but the noise is being projected behind you, not in front. Besides, most people have their windows up with the radio on, do you really think they can hear you coming up from behind?
Exactamundo.
That myth is B.S.
GuzziMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #819
chuckwarren
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pirelli

Can anyone tell me waht size rear Pirelli Scorpion 90 to use on my DRZ400e with stock rims?
chuckwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #820
Dude
super-retard

Oddometer: 70
loud pipes do save lives!

yes they do...loud pipes attract the attention of many LEO's and the riders of loud bikes are more likely to get tickets...thus forcing them to ride more within the law and making them less likely to get into accidents. The loud pipe it sort of an advertisement for the rider, saying "look at me! I am seeking the attention of law enforcement. Give me a ticket."
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #821
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwarren
Can anyone tell me waht size rear Pirelli Scorpion 90 to use on my DRZ400e with stock rims?
I think its only offered in a 120/90/18, or 140/80/18.

Take your pick, they will both fit the stock rim.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #822
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
yes they do...loud pipes attract the attention of many LEO's and the riders of loud bikes are more likely to get tickets...thus forcing them to ride more within the law and making them less likely to get into accidents. The loud pipe it sort of an advertisement for the rider, saying "look at me! I am seeking the attention of law enforcement. Give me a ticket."
Well said

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #823
Odin69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
New Seat

I just installed a new SDG (standard) seat today and took the bike out for a spin. Nice, much firmer than the stock and feels better (to me anyway). Next will be knobbies and then a 3.9 Clarke tank. That should satisfy me for awhile? I haven't had it in the dirt since I bought a few weeks ago, so I'm going to hit some this weekend and break the new seat in.
Odin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #824
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
I think its only offered in a 120/90/18, or 140/80/18.

Take your pick, they will both fit the stock rim.
FYI, a friend gave me a Michelin Baja 140/80 nobby and but I ended up not using it because it looked like the side lugs would hit my chain. Because of this, I'm going to say 130 is my max for the rear but I'll probably stay with 120's are they are more common.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #825
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
FYI, a friend gave me a Michelin Baja 140/80 nobby and but I ended up not using it because it looked like the side lugs would hit my chain. Because of this, I'm going to say 130 is my max for the rear but I'll probably stay with 120's are they are more common.
My green DRZS had a D606 130/90-18 rear when I got it, and i replaced it with another 130. The front end turned in quickly, which was better than my former XR650L. I since replaced that 130 with a 120/90-18 D606, and now the bike feels much better balanced with the 120. Instead of the front turning in quickly, the front and rear now turn as one. Maybe the larger rear causes different handling characteristics? I'm sticking with a 120.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote