Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #841
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin69
I just installed a new SDG (standard) seat today and took the bike out for a spin. Nice, much firmer than the stock and feels better (to me anyway). Next will be knobbies and then a 3.9 Clarke tank. That should satisfy me for awhile? I haven't had it in the dirt since I bought a few weeks ago, so I'm going to hit some this weekend and break the new seat in.
Is that SDG seat any wider than the stocker? I need a new seat cover (since the stock one is a slippery joke that makes riding hills offroad difficult), and figure I may just get the whole seat and cover since it doesn't cost much more, as long as the SDG is wider than stock (wider = more comfort due to distributing weight over a larger surface area).
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #842
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT
Is that SDG seat any wider than the stocker? I need a new seat cover (since the stock one is a slippery joke that makes riding hills offroad difficult), and figure I may just get the whole seat and cover since it doesn't cost much more, as long as the SDG is wider than stock (wider = more comfort due to distributing weight over a larger surface area).
Not appreciably, if at all. Corbins and Sargents, I'd say are how you get significant width gains. That said, I got my SDG and had it shaved down to help with my height (5' 8") and as a by-product of that, it now is a bit wider - just because you're cutting the top off of a trapezoid, so the new "top" will be wider than the old "top".

The real value, in my view, to getting the SDG, is better foam, and much grippier seat cover material.

'Hope that helps ...

cm

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #843
Odin69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT
No. It's not wider, but I have the standard seat and not the tall one. I thought I read that the tall one was wider? However, it is a little firmer than the stock seat. I bought the bike used and it had a Factory Effex seat cover on it. I thought it grabbed to much and the seat was too soft.
Odin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #844
sunkist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Here's my '03 KLX400 R (bought shiny and new in '06)
Baja Designs street kit
Moose Racing Tapered bar w/ risers
Scorpion designs skid plate
Kenda tires
That's about it...oh, it's for sale.
$5000

Attached Images

sunkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #845
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist
Here's my '03 KLX400 R (bought shiny and new in '06)
Baja Designs street kit
Moose Racing Tapered bar w/ risers
Scorpion designs skid plate
Kenda tires
That's about it...oh, it's for sale.
$5000
You found a 0 mile 03 in 06.

That is one hell of a dealer "left over"
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #846
sunkist
Adventurer

Yeah, no doubt. Apparently, as the story goes, the dealership was poorly managed and when they changed managers the new one "found" some old inventory sitting behind some other crates and advertising banners and crap in the corner or out back. Anyways, they put it together and I walked in 3 days later, oddly enough, looking for a used one! Whatever the story, I'm glad I bought it.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #847
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChris521
2002 S got the E/K forks and shock,with a stiffer rear spring for the extra lbs.
Thanks Chris!

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #848
chris666
Burgundy Topz

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by pi3832
I lied earlier. I installed a 33-liter, not a 30-liter Givi topcase. It's a little shorter.

Anyway, it was a very easy install. The Givi mounting plate is universal, and comes with four "clips" for mounting to tubular racks. The clips are asymmetric, with each side supposedly for different sized tubes. Whatever, just use what works. An allen-head bolt goes through the plate, through the clip, and then into a locking nut.

I ended up only using three of the clips.

Note that I had to take the "tool box" off the rack to get the front(top) left clip installed.

There is very little clearance between the bolt and the fender. I'm not sure how well cutting the bolt shorter would work, because it was rather fiddly getting the nut on there as it was.

That stuff on the bolt is "Electric Pink" nail polish. My niece has poor taste colours. I prefer nail polish to Loc-Tite and the like because it's thicker, you apply it with a brush, and it's tacky right from the start. Works well for sticking washers to nuts for easier installation, too.

After installing the plate to the rack, you install a plastic cover over the diamond holes in the plate, and you're done! Just pop the topcase on and go.

Note that the way I installed the plate, you can see two of the clips sticking out. It might be worthwhile to paint them.

And, yes, I did make the ritual sacrifice of human blood to the motorcycle gods.

On the whole, the 33-liter seems the perfect size for the SM.

Can't say much about living with it, since I just installed it tonight.

One thing I did notice: apparently the Monolock cases do not have the rubber gasket between lid and case that the Monokey cases do. At this point I'm not too confident that the case is water proof. A little weather stripping should solve that problem, though.

At less than $100 for the case and the universal mounting plate, I think the little Givi Monolock topcases are a bargain.
They are waterproof. I ride in the rain all the time. I have had my rack and topcase on for awhile now. Unless you drop it in a river no water is going to get in.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=226
Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #849
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
You found a 0 mile 03 in 06.

That is one hell of a dealer "left over"

I hope he didn't pay retail at that point.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #850
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Yeah I have an 05 I'd like to get $5000 for....it's never been dropped

I mean "on purpose" that is....

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #851
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ
Yeah I have an 05 I'd like to get $5000 for....it's never been dropped

I mean "on purpose" that is....
I love reading the "for sale" ads where guys say there's no scratches, dings, whatever on their offroad bike. I always wonder, "did ya ride it.... ever?"

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #852
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,456
aren't they only 4600 new?
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #853
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
I love reading the "for sale" ads where guys say there's no scratches, dings, whatever on their offroad bike. I always wonder, "did ya ride it.... ever?"
New plastic erases all past mistakes

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #854
sunkist
Adventurer

Hey guys, I said I bought it shiny and new in '06, I didn't say that it was still shiny and new. Even in the picture, you can see the lack of one of my rear signal lights. Although it is still in great shape and has low hours, it has been riden how I want, when I want. I like to take care of my stuff. Only punks go out and purposely ruin perfectly good things and then laugh with their buddies about it! A dealer in town is asking $4400 for an '03 that isn't street legal and looks like someone didn't really care that much about it. I've put $1200 bucks into mine and it's in great shape.
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but if that was for me, I didn't actually say there weren't any scratches on it. Oh, they're not $4600 new, cuz they don't make 'em anymore, Yo.

sunkist screwed with this post 04-15-2008 at 11:31 AM
Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #855
sunkist
Adventurer

OK. OK. OK. Yeah, they technically still make them. What, then, do you guys think I should be asking for it?