Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #8791
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
I'd just drain the oil. It's only a couple of quarts.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #8792
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM1991 View Post
What is a fair price on a DRZ400SM with 3500 miles right now? It is very clean and runs great!

It depends on two things. What year is it? And, are you buying it or selling it?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #8793
ChaseM1991
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
It depends on two things. What year is it? And, are you buying it or selling it?
2005 im buying it lol
ChaseM1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #8794
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 843
Clutch swap

okay, i definitely want to switch back to the stock clutch on my bike, this semi-auto (clutchless with a shifter) is frickin dangerous in the street! anyone know some good tutorials on how to do this? Ill probably do this at the same time as my JB repair on the magneto case! or should i do this with someone who knows their stuff?
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #8795
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
so how much oil will come out when i remove the case? is this something im gonna have to have the bike on its side for over 24 hrs or can i have it upright? I dont have a shop, so its gonna have to be on its side outdoors at my apartment while im at work...at least its a covered area...
I don't remember all that much oil coming out and I didn't even lay it over on it's side...just jacked it up on my stand to get it to an easy work height and pulled it off.

You have to take off the upper idler gear cover to get to one of the bolts that hold the alternator cover on, pull those parts out and once you get the alternator cover off, you'll have to remove the stator from the cover to work on the crack. Hopefully you have a service manual...if not, take photos and document what you're doing. Pretty straightforward.

Might as well change the oil when you're done.
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #8796
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
okay, i definitely want to switch back to the stock clutch on my bike, this semi-auto (clutchless with a shifter) is frickin dangerous in the street! anyone know some good tutorials on how to do this? Ill probably do this at the same time as my JB repair on the magneto case! or should i do this with someone who knows their stuff?
Is it a Rekluse? want to sell it??

I was thinking about buying one for my DRZ434e

PM sent

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #8797
the big c word
the badass noob

Oddometer: 8
Wicked revlock clutch

i just got a revlock clutch for my 07' drz400 . going to put it in and hopefully go out this weekend to see how it works.
the big c word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #8798
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictitious View Post
...I'm not sure what the imperial equivalent to the DRZ's metric tire dimension are. I've looked at this chart and it shows the 80/100 front tire of the drz as 3.00/3.25 so which one should I pick? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a wider or smaller tire size?
These charts are approximations and you only need to be reasonably close. I wouldn't sweat a slightly wider or narrower tire. By all accounts the rear of the DRZ can take anything from a 120 to a 140, so if you get an inch-equivalent in this range, you should be fine. As I recall the 80/100 on the front is pretty unusual, so most go with a 90/90. On the rear both 130/80 and 140/80 seem to work well.

Is the D606 too knobby for you? This is an awfully nice all-around tire for the DRZ-S. I notice the knobs only at very slow speeds. If you just want a almost-pure street tire, the stock Trailwings are pretty darn good and there are lots of takeoffs floating around.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #8799
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

I've used the IRC GP-1 which looks a lot like the Kenda 270. I thought it was a good tire for the DR-Z400S. I don't recall the sizes, but I'd go with the wider choice, especially on the rear. I think my rear was a 4.60, and it "looked" too narrow, but rode just fine.

I'm running the Dunlop 606 now since "everybody" on the forums raves about them. Yes, they give great off road traction, but they are very heavy, hard to mouint, cost acceleration & top end speed. They aren't "bad" on the road, but the GP-1's are better on the pavement.

I will be going back to the GP-1 (or another 50/50 tire) after the Dunlops wear out. I get plenty to traction from the GP-1 and it makes more sense for the 50/50 riding that I do.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #8800
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

I just received the Mountainsmith dog packs yesterday. They appear a little too narrow to fit well on the DR-Z just draped over the seat, but I didn't really spend much time fiddling with them and I don't have a rear rack yet.

Same with the XT225.

I'm not sure they'll work well for me or not, but I will stuff them and try fitting them when I have some more time. Maybe they'll do. I'll let you all know after I check them out better.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #8801
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,230
S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalrider View Post
was it s or sm?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #8802
eternalRider
Ride to Live!

Oddometer: 57
Just ordered some shinko 705s for my sm
want to get the tkc80 but it's very hard to find the
120/90 for te front they make it just don't
sell it in the USA well at $120 for the shinkos
delivered can't go to wrong just hope they have ok
off road handling I'll let you guys know I was
over at the 705 thread and it's all mixed reviews
as with all tires some love them some don't
but seamed like more good then bad only time
will tell.
eternalRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #8803
Southernboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Use this thread to ask questions,share tips & stories about Suzuki's finest ever dual purpose bike.
I know they're next to perfection,& don't need much doing to them(except skid plates/radiator guards/new tires etc;)& that DRZ owners are mostly riding their bikes rather than sitting in front of a damn computer,but when you get a minute or two,let's build our own section on here for this great little bike.

Mick.
Over 550 pages to read? Yikes !

Hey guys, new to this site and just got a new '09 DR-Z400S and want to make a few changes, but dang who has time to weed thru 500+ pages? At a glance I can see theres some good info in this thread, but its buried in pages of BS and banter ! Can one of you smart fellas give me the Cliffs Notes?

- Best rear light-license plate assembly?

- Alternative turn signal choices?

- Is that lower-profile gel seat feel okay? (Im 5'8" and hafta tippy-toe)

- Gearing? Whats verdict on a 41-toother out back? This stock gear revs too high on the road

- Best overall tires front/back for true dual sport use? (not extreme offroad, mainly trails)

- Carbs? Is it worth changing the OEM carb?

- Air in & out: Whats the scoop on airbox & exhaust? Ive read conflicting opinions on whether its worth dinking with exhaust at all.

- Small racks for rear fender; Id like to get something like the OEM 46300-29820 but dont want the side tool thing; any suggestions?

I know thats a long list but figured hey, cant hurt to ask you good folks!

Thanks in advance for any info and happy trails !
Southernboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #8804
GLantern
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboy View Post
Over 550 pages to read? Yikes !

Hey guys, new to this site and just got a new '09 DR-Z400S and want to make a few changes, but dang who has time to weed thru 500+ pages? At a glance I can see theres some good info in this thread, but its buried in pages of BS and banter ! Can one of you smart fellas give me the Cliffs Notes?

- Best rear light-license plate assembly?

- Alternative turn signal choices?

- Is that lower-profile gel seat feel okay? (Im 5'8" and hafta tippy-toe)

- Gearing? Whats verdict on a 41-toother out back? This stock gear revs too high on the road

- Best overall tires front/back for true dual sport use? (not extreme offroad, mainly trails)

- Carbs? Is it worth changing the OEM carb?

- Air in & out: Whats the scoop on airbox & exhaust? Ive read conflicting opinions on whether its worth dinking with exhaust at all.

- Small racks for rear fender; Id like to get something like the OEM 46300-29820 but dont want the side tool thing; any suggestions?

I know thats a long list but figured hey, cant hurt to ask you good folks!

Thanks in advance for any info and happy trails !
Tail light and turn signals
You want Edge Tail Light Holder Kit for DRZ400SM/S and MOTO LED Flasher Type 602
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s...24/index.shtml

You can change the stock carb to the E model carb but it is a lot of money to do. I would just do the 3x3 mod with a jet kit
JDS005 JD Jet Kit Suzuki DRZ400S/SM (00-09), DRZ400E (Calif. 00-09) - Kaw KLX400SR (03-04) - Mikuni Carb
http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_...ing_jetkit.htm

I also recommend a skid plate and case guards from thumper talk.

That is all I know for now....as far as I know for the exhaust you won't see any real gains unless you do a full exhaust.
2008 Ducati 1098
2012 GasGas XC300
GLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #8805
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
These charts are approximations and you only need to be reasonably close. I wouldn't sweat a slightly wider or narrower tire. By all accounts the rear of the DRZ can take anything from a 120 to a 140, so if you get an inch-equivalent in this range, you should be fine. As I recall the 80/100 on the front is pretty unusual, so most go with a 90/90. On the rear both 130/80 and 140/80 seem to work well.

Is the D606 too knobby for you? This is an awfully nice all-around tire for the DRZ-S. I notice the knobs only at very slow speeds. If you just want a almost-pure street tire, the stock Trailwings are pretty darn good and there are lots of takeoffs floating around.

- Mark
I might try the 606's out later though, at the moment, I think I'm still looking for something a little more street orientated. Apart from that, the Kenda's are on sale locally and I've wanted to try them. So I'm thinking I'll do the 3.25" front and the 5.10" on the back. Sound good to everyone?