Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #9586
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by corybaby View Post
Maybe you inmates can help me?
I just traded in the pig klr and got this sweet drz 400..is the radiator cap supposed to have a hole in the top that looks like a can opener made it?
Its an 07 with 500 mi that the dude let sit a couple years , he did no mods at all but it looks intentional?
Also these giant orange turn sigs gotta go, any recomendations?
Thanks in advance!

I just switched to the Edge tail light and clear signal covers. It looks much better than stock!

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/index.shtml

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #9587
Logpile
Mr.V- or Drz

Oddometer: 168
EDGE Tail light

I had put a Honda CBR LED tail light on my DRZ when I first got it a few years ago. Last year I ordered an Edge with the 12-0Clock Labs PC board.
No turn signals handing off the back any more.
Logpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #9588
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
2005 400E, CE removed. Jetting is toward the lean side of everything I've seen recommended.

95% of the time the bike works great. However, when I get to a slow rough section, it starts to sputter & loses all bottom end. I end up having to rev the motor & abuse the clutch.

Let me know what you eventually come up with- mine does the same thing. I am running a 147 jet, 3x3 mod, etc. on mine, at 7000 - 12000 feet.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #9589
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadMike View Post
Anyone know the thread size and length on them. There the allen head bolts that came with the rack. I would take the rack off but I don't have the stock bolts anymore also so my seat is kinda flopping around.
Thread wise, it's z same as ur right side panels (allen head bolts) but beteween 25-30mm long it depend on z size & thickness of type of rack is on. Mine was custom designed & i use 25mm long bolts. Occassionaly they get loose once in a while. I only had to tighten it once during a ride ...
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #9590
TuRNeRBuRNeR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Brake light wont work with either front or rear brake....

Neither brake application illuminates brake light happened all of the sudden . Running lights are fine .It is an LED light. Where to start , it cant be a switch i disconnected the rear and tried just front brake still nothing and vice versa, dont really know what to check next.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #9591
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
Here's the quote from TT:
" When you remove the CE, are you replacing the 60 air jet with a 100 air jet? If so, no problem - plug the nipples. If not, then you connect the 2 nipples together with a hose."

I remember that if you connect the nipples together You kept the stock pilot air jet, and if you capped them off, you went way up from 60 to 100. I connected mine together and run this jetting on my '02 E with snorkel removed and stock exhaust.

160 mainjet
stock dxp needle
5th clip
stock 45 pilot jet
2.5 turns fuel screw
starter jet: 66
Pilot air jet: 60
Main air jet: 200

You might have made another jet change when you capped them off.
Glad someone remembers it has been a looong time since I first went to an FCR....
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #9592
derrickb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Need some help with my '06 DRZ....
Bought used, has 7300 miles on her. I'm still figuring out what the previous owner did to the bike, and I should also say this is my first bike and I am not particularly mechanically inclined.

The bike had 6000 miles on her when I bought in December. Ran fine for a bit and then started having stalling issues, culminating with leaving me stranded in the national grasslands that are a bit of a ride from my home.

I had a friend, who IS mechanically inclined, and a long time moto rider come over and we changed the oil, which smelled like gas (read about that one already....) and the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. The bike has ridden like a champ since that time, roughly about 300 miles or so.

I was all set to go on a ride tonight, hit the gas station to top off the 4 gallon Clark tank and the bike died in 3 miles. Just turned off as I was coming to a stop sign, clutch in, no throttle. I tried to catch it with the throttle when I realized it was dying to no effect. Pushed the bike into a parking lot, tried to crank it and no joy. Some gas vented out of the hose at the back of the bike. Turned the petcock off (the previous owner had installed a petcock of his own and a filter since he said he rode the bike in Baja and needed the filter. I have since removed the filter but left the petcock as is.) and let the bike sit a couple of minutes and she started right up. My buddy tends to believe that the larger gas tank is overwhelming the float on the carb, causing the issues described above.

As I was close to home, I headed back, tried to get the bike to stall again and it did, about a mile later. Same scenario - turned the petcock off, let the bike sit for a couple of minutes and she cranked up and I made it home.

Checked the oil, and it had a very, very mild scent of gas, nowhere near as bad as before and it was still very clean from changing the oil 300 miles ago.

Extremely frustrated with the bike and I don't trust it a single bit.

Thoughts?
derrickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #9593
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,763
You may have some junk accumulating at the intake to the petcock. The larger tank is NOT stressing the float or any other part of the carb.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #9594
Logpile
Mr.V- or Drz

Float Level?

If your float level is just in the high side or you have a ring wore into the inlet needle, that could have this effect you carb.
Check the tank cap for proper venting also...

My 2 cents....
but worth less...
Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #9595
corybaby
weekend adventurer

Oddometer: 184
led lights?

So do i need a special pc board or something else to run LED lights (tail and turns? or can i just hook em up?
Cory
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma1992 View Post
I just switched to the Edge tail light and clear signal covers. It looks much better than stock!

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/index.shtml

corybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #9596
Logpile
Mr.V- or Drz

LEDs

You can get the 12 O Clock Labs PC board with the DRZ wiring connectors installed. It's a plug and play set up. Take off the hunky stock turn sigs and plug in the tail light to the turn sig connetors after you replace the board in your Edge tail light..

If you go to an after market LED turn sig lamp, your flasher will be in warp drive blinking FAST. With the 12 O Clock labs PC board, you can program the type and speed of the blink on the tail light.

Check out there web site and U tube Vids.
Easy and clean.

Log...

Logpile screwed with this post 07-10-2011 at 08:21 PM
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #9597
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
Here's the quote from TT:
" When you remove the CE, are you replacing the 60 air jet with a 100 air jet? If so, no problem - plug the nipples. If not, then you connect the 2 nipples together with a hose."

I remember that if you connect the nipples together You kept the stock pilot air jet, and if you capped them off, you went way up from 60 to 100. I connected mine together and run this jetting on my '02 E with snorkel removed and stock exhaust.

160 mainjet
stock dxp needle
5th clip
stock 45 pilot jet
2.5 turns fuel screw
starter jet: 66
Pilot air jet: 60
Main air jet: 200

You might have made another jet change when you capped them off.
Thanks.

I rode the previous weekend with the nipples tied together. I capped them this weekend and couldn't really tell any difference.

I have realized that the problems are at the higher altitude trails. Before riding this morning, I backed off the air screw another full turn and the bike seemed to run fine, but I didn't do any of the really high trails.

I still have a couple questions:

1. Is the pilot air jet really an air jet, or a gas jet?
2. What is the function of the little brass jet that is either capped off or tied to the other fitting with a hose.

Thanks.

Tellydoug, I'll try and look up my jetting specs and post them here. We are at very high altitude, so 99% of the jetting recommendations on TT are worthless. I've spent hours digging around for jetting recommendations on a stock motor.

To others, the float level was the first thing I adjusted. I've also fixed the gas cap vent. Neither one fixed the problem.

At this point I'm leaning (pun intended) toward going one size smaller on the pilot jet. The issue is right off idle when I'm on slow technical trails. For cruising on open trails or roads, it hasn't had problems.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #9598
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by corybaby View Post
So do i need a special pc board or something else to run LED lights (tail and turns? or can i just hook em up?
A common mod is to use an DRC EDGE taillight and any LED signals... but you will want an electronic flash relay (or resistor wire) if you want the signals to flash at the "normal" rate (same as incandescent bulbs). I've got the EDGE and the "601" type LED signal lights on mine, but have yet to install the electronic flash relay.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #9599
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickb View Post
Need some help with my '06 DRZ....
Bought used, has 7300 miles on her. I'm still figuring out what the previous owner did to the bike, and I should also say this is my first bike and I am not particularly mechanically inclined.

The bike had 6000 miles on her when I bought in December. Ran fine for a bit and then started having stalling issues, culminating with leaving me stranded in the national grasslands that are a bit of a ride from my home.

I had a friend, who IS mechanically inclined, and a long time moto rider come over and we changed the oil, which smelled like gas (read about that one already....) and the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. The bike has ridden like a champ since that time, roughly about 300 miles or so.

I was all set to go on a ride tonight, hit the gas station to top off the 4 gallon Clark tank and the bike died in 3 miles. Just turned off as I was coming to a stop sign, clutch in, no throttle. I tried to catch it with the throttle when I realized it was dying to no effect. Pushed the bike into a parking lot, tried to crank it and no joy. Some gas vented out of the hose at the back of the bike. Turned the petcock off (the previous owner had installed a petcock of his own and a filter since he said he rode the bike in Baja and needed the filter. I have since removed the filter but left the petcock as is.) and let the bike sit a couple of minutes and she started right up. My buddy tends to believe that the larger gas tank is overwhelming the float on the carb, causing the issues described above.

As I was close to home, I headed back, tried to get the bike to stall again and it did, about a mile later. Same scenario - turned the petcock off, let the bike sit for a couple of minutes and she cranked up and I made it home.

Checked the oil, and it had a very, very mild scent of gas, nowhere near as bad as before and it was still very clean from changing the oil 300 miles ago.

Extremely frustrated with the bike and I don't trust it a single bit.

Thoughts?
Verify what type of petcock is installed. Verify that it works properly with fuel line unhooked. Than verfiy that the carb is clean and the float height is proper. You need a service manual, and visit thumpertalk.com Take pictures and you will have a wealth of help regarding the the beloved DRZ if you post there.

TIP..... When the bike starts acting up turn the fuel petcock to OFF. If the bike straightens up within about 10 seconds than the float valve or height is suspect.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #9600
firemedic3293
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logpile View Post
If your float level is just in the high side or you have a ring wore into the inlet needle, that could have this effect you carb.
Check the tank cap for proper venting also...

My 2 cents....
but worth less...

+1 I also have a Clarke 3.9 tank on my 09S. I was using a vent hose with a "special" cap at the end I picked up at a hardware store since my nice stubby one fell off on a ride to work. The cap at the end of the hose didnt let the tank vent, It would cruise fine as soon as i got too high RPMs it would die out and there was no saving it... Im not mechanically inclined either but I am not sure that the size of the tank would affect something like that. the Safari tanks are more than a gallon larger and they work.
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
firemedic3293 is offline   Reply With Quote