Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #10051
WillyK57
the only way I know how.

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naq View Post
Post up after you get some miles on them. I've been thinking about this tire for my street wheel set, but the reviews seem to be mixed. Admittedly, the price is hard to ignore.
I have been running the Shinko 705's on the front and rear since last fall and I am very happy with them. I ride primarily street and dirt road and they handle much better in my opinion, than the stock Bridgestones. I have noticed the most improvement on wet pavement and in slippery mud (still not good in mud, but better). They have been stable on the interstate and front doesn't wander nearly as much as my Trailwing did.

The ware rate seems reasonable but I look at the tire mileage lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-star View Post
Yeah, I'd like to know too - I just turned over 14,000 miles on my SM.

Alternatively, any compiled list of "known symptoms of stator failure" that I can study-memorize-become a total hypochondriac about?
I just replaced the regulator/rectifier on mine this week at about 12,500 miles. I went through the whole charging system diagnostic described over at TT (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-627031.html) and found the stator to be within spec but the RR to be under charging. I don't run any extra accessories but I have had to jump it more than a few times.

On an irritating side note, the service teck at the Suzuki shop was trying to tell me that I was checking my RR wrong and was reluctant to sell me a new one... Any way you slice it 13.4V is too low regardless of RPMs.

I ended up with a heavier duty RR from regulatorrectifier.com for quiet a bit less than an OEM.

Best,
Willyk57

Rules of the Universe

32. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age,gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
WillyK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #10052
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,643
Question Questions for the Dizzer's...

Hey guys I'm planning to throw a set of DRZ 400E forks on my KLR...found a set of 2000 forks that seem to have all the rebound and compression adjusment of the newer forks...? unless you can enlighten me...
Then found a low mile 2006 front caliper..
Question is...are the calipers the same bolt on-wise from 2000-2006? I looked on ron ayers fiche and the part #'s were diff but thats not say'n they wouldn't bolt on...thot I'd ask some folks with more experience with the DRZ than I.... I equaling nada-zip!
Thanx for any info Jim
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #10053
TomBouch
n00b

Oddometer: 1
DRZ400 for sale

I have a DRZ400 for sale. Is there a place to list bikes for sale on this forum?
TomBouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #10054
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBouch View Post
I have a DRZ400 for sale. Is there a place to list bikes for sale on this forum?
Look for the Flea Market. There is a "bikes" forum. Read the rules before you post!
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #10055
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Hey guys I'm planning to throw a set of DRZ 400E forks on my KLR...found a set of 2000 forks that seem to have all the rebound and compression adjusment of the newer forks...? unless you can enlighten me...
Then found a low mile 2006 front caliper..
Question is...are the calipers the same bolt on-wise from 2000-2006? I looked on ron ayers fiche and the part #'s were diff but thats not say'n they wouldn't bolt on...thot I'd ask some folks with more experience with the DRZ than I.... I equaling nada-zip!
Thanx for any info Jim
00-01 DRZ forks DO NOT have comp and rebound adjustment. They would be 02 or later if they have those adjustments.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #10056
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Hi, wondering how many Km people have had out of there DRZ's, or have heard about from other riders, mine has just clicked over 32000 km and I have started wondering about longevity of these motors.
Thanks
Dennis
Thanks everyone who posted in reply to my question above, put my mind at rest.
Dennis
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #10057
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post
ive got two questions:

what's a good brand steering damper to put on my bike?
i find that there is a lot of 'float' in the front wheel.
i only weigh 75kg and i often ride with my rear panniers and bags on the rear.

i want to gear the bike down a bit. so what size sprocket should i fit to either the front or rear? presently i have 14/47.

bern
Iv'e always used the MSC Damper... supporting the Aussie industry.
http://www.mscmoto.com/

I uploaded some photos of mine into my thread yesterday (address in signature)

How much weight do you carry in the panniers, and what type of riding do you do with them on? I carried 14kg on the back of mine last weekend- and it was a shocker off-road. Wouldn't handle, wouldn't brake. The balance/dynamics were up the creek big time. Without the extra load, my bike is magic.

My point is- might pay to look at suspension before a damper.

I spoke to my suspension tuner after the weekend- for me to carry that sort of load, and still have the bike handle reasonably, I'll have to go to a heavier spring (I weigh 80kg + gear + luggage).

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #10058
LockRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Thanks everyone who posted in reply to my question above, put my mind at rest.
Dennis

Nice. Now it is time to RIDE RIDE RIDE!!!!
LockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #10059
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Thanx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
00-01 DRZ forks DO NOT have comp and rebound adjustment. They would be 02 or later if they have those adjustments.
OK thanx...Dang I googled a 2000 test and it said they did...I'll keep doin' research.
How about the caliper mounts...anyone know if they're spaced and offset the same?
Thanx again Jim
Old 08-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #10060
ZukiNoomin
The Dude abides

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-star View Post
Yeah, I'd like to know too - I just turned over 14,000 miles on my SM.

Alternatively, any compiled list of "known symptoms of stator failure" that I can study-memorize-become a total hypochondriac about?
When my stator failed, the DRZ would start and idle just fine, but would not rev up.
Insulation on the signal coil wires had deteriorated.

ZukiNoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #10061
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
OK thanx...Dang I googled a 2000 test and it said they did...I'll keep doin' research.
How about the caliper mounts...anyone know if they're spaced and offset the same?
Thanx again Jim
ALL E models had compression and rebound. The '00 and '01 S models didn't.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #10062
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
I forgot that the base model forks were limited to the 00-01 S model only. Thanks for the correction.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #10063
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Yup cool beans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
WoooHooo Yea I knew the S models were more basic, so I've been look'n for some E's and these are E's...Coool beans I think I'll pick em up thanx a million for the confirmation.
I'm think'n the caliper mount tabs are probably the same up threw the years too... hop'n and still check'n.
Thanx again and thanx for input bobbed06 too.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #10064
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
yes they do.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #10065
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by azshtr View Post
yes they do.
Threadkiller covered that a couple post back thanx tho...
No worries on the Caliper mounts...yet since I found a set of 2005-E forks in GREAT shape! then grabbed a 2006-S Caliper too, both clean and fresh. Gett'n psyched up about this upgrade now...

Since I have'nt seen many pics in the thread lately I figured I'd show ya who I'm hang'n the 49mm's on

This is how Desiree' looks now with about every upgrade you can do....you name it, it's prob on her... ported 705, Moab shock, XS Twin, Rick Mayer seat, Rox risers, IMS Tank w/custom brace, Double-Take mirrors, Billet choke relo, Adjustable kickstand, Turn sig headlight off in the dirt switchgear, Heat troller controlled grips, KLX needle, Clean mounted throttle lock, all guards, bashplates, wiring etc... It's a long list probably 60 more things to go..let's just go get a beer instead.
Also ordered a new Battery today that's gonna save me 11 lbs over the Odessey! (which has been a killer batt too) WoooHooo
[/URL]

ALMOST every upgrade.....until 2nite I just bought that set of 2005 DR-400E forks w/Tree and a 2006 caliper. Then another 2005 KLR Tree so I can sell mine with my forks...which have Intiminators, Cogent springs, a bunch of xtra spacers, an old brace and new boots.
Gonna throw a Brittania Lynx faing on now , drop the fairing sub-frame, dash and some weight. I'll use a Vapor for data and build some signal/highbeam indicators. The front wheel will prob be a Warp 9 21x1.6 with billet hub (no speedo) stainless rotor, and either black, clear or red rims?? (any opinions on color?? ) Gotta do some more research and make sure it's a quality piece first.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 12:19 AM