Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #10141
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Quick update on my Sargent seat.

I ended up returning it to Sargent on their 30-day money back deal. While the seat fit perfectly and was more comfortable than stock, I found the pronounced "wings" that Sargent used at the front of the seating area to increase width to be way too aggressive, digging into my thighs, especially when putting a foot down. The extra width also made the bike feel oddly tall at rest - not a big deal since I'm 6'-2", but if felt like it might make the bike more ungainly in situations where you need to put feet down and paddle through a nasty bit of terrain.

In the end, while I liked the look, loved the fit/finish, and thought it was an improvement over stock, this $300 seat simply wasn't as comfortable as my $20 Walmart Stearns ATV cover (unfortunately not very readily available at the moment). While I don't particularly like hassling with strapping it on, I've now tried five different DRZ seats and the combo of the stock seat with the ATV cover is BY FAR the most comfortable.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:37 AM   #10142
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
You should directly wire the regulator to the battery (aka Free Power Mod) which eliminates a possible point of resistance,arcing, and stator failure. Rick Stator is the only way to go for a stator.

Yes I already did the Free Power Mod. Not sure if I trust much on TT however. There seem to be a lot of 13 yr. olds on there. Lots of " DRZ may fail" type of fear which has not been my experience with this bike at all. Some guy on there is trying to sell people a lot of parts they may not need I think..I Trust the inmates here a lot more.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #10143
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout View Post
So I have new springs for front and back ordered from race tech. Any other suspension recommendations from the collective Dizzer group?
I have race tech on my front with 5w racing oil susp. it comes down to what kind of riding you are into and how bad u wanna beat up ur bike. I ride 90% off-rd on my DRZ i like to keep my front susp. a little softer than usual (harder susp if u wanna fly high like Travis Pastrana). What fellow inmate mentionned, set it to stock from ur Clymer manual or the like & go from there.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #10144
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
I have race tech on my front with 5w racing oil susp. it comes down to what kind of riding you are into and how bad u wanna beat up ur bike. I ride 90% off-rd on my DRZ i like to keep my front susp. a little softer than usual (harder susp if u wanna fly high like Travis Pastrana). What fellow inmate mentionned, set it to stock from ur Clymer manual or the like & go from there.

Thanks to all for the helpful information provided. I had the spring info last night and should have posted it. I am 240 with my riding gear on and I figure usually another 6-7 lbs of tools and may needs rotopaked on behind the seat. I tend to use my 990 more on the mainly street days and the DRZ get beat on the more trail days. I don't ride that aggressively but would rather have the system more dirt friendly and worry less about hauling much with me. My main concern with getting this set up correctly is the amount of wrenching needed just to change the setting on the DRZs rear. Not near as easy as adjusting the preload on the katoom. But before I run a groove through the swing arm and into the bearing with the chain I figure I better get at it.

Thanks again guys. I will post up spring info later and get a few different weights of the same brand fluids to try. I am thinking the rear spring was 5.7 kg/mm and the fronts were .5 kg/mm. I'll double check later and report back.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #10145
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Yes I already did the Free Power Mod. Not sure if I trust much on TT however. There seem to be a lot of 13 yr. olds on there. Lots of " DRZ may fail" type of fear which has not been my experience with this bike at all. Some guy on there is trying to sell people a lot of parts they may not need I think..
regarding the MCCT, i agree with you. the early ACCTs actually did have problems, but it seems the newer ones don't.

but the loctite "fixes" involve no parts at all, so there isn't a hidden agenda there.

the jetting kits don't come from eddie or anyone else at TT (unless you buy them through the TT store). and, the truth is that the DRZ, like most bikes, is jetted lean from the factory to meet EPA regs. while it is not necessary to do the 3x3 mod and rejet it, doing so definitely does smooth out the powerband and improve throttle response by tuning the engine the way the factory most likely would tune it if they did not have to meet EPA regs. again, though, no one at TT makes any money off of that if you buy the jet kits directly from the source.

and, if you are going to ride it off road (more than just fire roads, etc.), it really is in your best interest to armor it up. the side cases really are made of thin magnesium which is easily punctured by the shift lever or brake lever. the radiators really are kinda fragile, easily damaged in a simple tip over, and really do cost $300 a piece to replace. the water pump really is very exposed to being bashed off rocks without an aftermarket skid plate.

for me, at least, i absolutely notice a huge difference in the bike using good synthetic oil and changing it every 1,000 miles vs. using cheap oil and changing it less often. the difference in how it shifts is night and day...for me, that tells me what i need to know about whether i should follow the TT oil change program or the factory one.

there are indeed a number of 15 years olds who post on TT...and, like any other forum, you have to take it with a grain of salt. however, there is also a wealth of *good* info on DRZs over there. and the truth is the bike comes from the factory ready to meet EPA regs and to be ridden on dirt roads (without laying it down). if you want to ride it hard off road, there are some things you really should do to it first, imho.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #10146
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
The shock and forks are actually very similar to previous generation RM and are exceptionally capable given the proper springs and oil combo are used for your weight. What is your weight and what Kg springs did you select?

I agree with Naq on fork oil heights/weights/brands. I have had best results trying a certain brand/weight as a baseline and tuning with various weights and oil heights from the same brand mfr.
As mentioned above I am 240 with my riding gear on and I figure usually another 6-7 lbs of tools and may needs rotopaked on behind the seat. I do need to correct info on the springs rear are 66.9 X 64 X 267 mm 5.7kg/mm
front 43 X 508 mm .52 kg/mm . I have not decided what brand and weight oil to try first.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #10147
dhr
Explorer of suburbs

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
and, the truth is that the DRZ, like most bikes, is jetted lean from the factory to meet EPA regs. while it is not necessary to do the 3x3 mod and rejet it, doing so definitely does smooth out the powerband and improve throttle response by tuning the engine the way the factory most likely would tune it if they did not have to meet EPA regs.
That sounds pretty fair, one problem I see is people with no business near a carburetter reading online that they NEED to rejet to "open her up" and doing far more harm then good. The DRZ400S I just bought fell victim to a poor rejet and slipon. The stock DRZ400SM I just sold had far better throttle response and power delivery even if it was a little slow to warm up..

Speaking of which anybody have carb setup info for sea level to 6000+ with a Yoshimura RS-3 slipon?

dhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #10148
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Yes I already did the Free Power Mod. Not sure if I trust much on TT however. There seem to be a lot of 13 yr. olds on there. Lots of " DRZ may fail" type of fear which has not been my experience with this bike at all. Some guy on there is trying to sell people a lot of parts they may not need I think..I Trust the inmates here a lot more.
For DRZ's I trust TT more than any other source on the web. There are the key guys there who are 100% reliable knowledgeable and trust worthy. Never mind ridiculously helpful. I've talked to several mods there on the phone to sort out issues or walk throughs on more complicated jobs (for a non mechanic).

What you buy is your choice. Fear mongering and experience are 2 different things. I pretty much guarantee my DRZ hands down against any unmodified one, for all things, power, reliability, and durability. Plus building it has been entertaining.

15 year olds and retirees have the most time on their hands so forums tend to have alot of them. The 15 year olds flush out pretty fast.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #10149
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Thanx...

LOL aaand thank youuuu buddy

On a side note as I gather parts up for this swap...who makes the best front fender for the DRZ ...Stock or Aftermarket I don't care.
1) Must be able to function in the mud and rain!!! First and foremost
2) Must handle decent at 80mph...see *note (a)
3) Must be Black
4) Wouldn't hurt if it didn't look like shit, but this falls behind the other qualifications...see *note(b)

I don't think the stocker looks bad and it looks like it will work ok in the crap...but I don't know about high speed stability since I've never ridden one...

*Note (a) Yes it's a KLR and YES it will do 80mph
*Note (b) ...Yes it's a KLR...and No it's not UGLY!
I would recommend the RM one. It takes some work though. Not as ugly as a stock DRZ and better coverage than the SM aftermarket. I have an Acerbis but it doesn't doo too much for coverage.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #10150
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout View Post
As mentioned above I am 240 with my riding gear on and I figure usually another 6-7 lbs of tools and may needs rotopaked on behind the seat. I do need to correct info on the springs rear are 66.9 X 64 X 267 mm 5.7kg/mm
front 43 X 508 mm .52 kg/mm . I have not decided what brand and weight oil to try first.
I need to order my springs still and the Racetech calculator is saying I need .54kg fronts and a 6kg rear.
Problem is that Racetech doesnt offer anything over .52kg fronts for the DRZ and I really dont know if I need the forks that stiff. Thats the same reccomendations they give me for my weight on my YZ450 for mx?

I weigh 250lbs in my birthday suit, and have lightened my DRZ by about 20lbs, plus I wont be packing on anything more than a backpack for trailing. My other concern is that I will surely trim down to 225lbs once I start riding again.

Feedback appreciated from those who have upped there spring rates appreciated?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #10151
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313682586.949671.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  61.6 KB

DOGS headed to Colorado!!!
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #10152
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
I need to order my springs still and the Racetech calculator is saying I need .54kg fronts and a 6kg rear.
Problem is that Racetech doesnt offer anything over .52kg fronts for the DRZ and I really dont know if I need the forks that stiff. Thats the same reccomendations they give me for my weight on my YZ450 for mx?

I weigh 250lbs in my birthday suit, and have lightened my DRZ by about 20lbs, plus I wont be packing on anything more than a backpack for trailing. My other concern is that I will surely trim down to 225lbs once I start riding again.

Feedback appreciated from those who have upped there spring rates appreciated?
Contact Cannon Racecraft at (Four Oh Five) Five too four - seven two too three. Call the shop and talk w/ a human. They'll steer you right. I got both shock springs and fork springs for both my DR-Z400S and XR250R. I'm 6'6" and 270 w/out gear and both bikes are so much better now it's not even funny.

Great folks, great to deal with.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #10153
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
Attachment 283252

I know some guys doing a Salt Lake - Denver D/S ride next week. Maybe you'll run into them! Ride safe, have fun, do wheelies!
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #10154
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
Attachment 283252

Make us DOGS proud! SR
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #10155
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,328
Just in at the flea market.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717370

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is online now   Reply With Quote