Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #10261
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockRider View Post
It seems so strange to me that people are so ready to tell someone else how they should set up their bike, or what they should or shouldn't do when it is totally a matter of preference. This is not like telling someone to install a case saver to protect their bike, but rather telling someone what their style should be.

I have an idea, if someone is that opinionated, maybe they should start forking over the money for these aftermarket parts like "a cute LED". I will gladly install the "cute LED" if you are willing to pay for it and send it to me.
Aha I see we have an inmate with no sense of humour

To the Gallows with him

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #10262
Gehrcke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Have a great time on your trip. Don't forget the padded shorts, anti-monkey butt powder, and some diaper rash cream. That seat is a killer after a while. With that said, I use the above and run the stock seat too.

Nice looking rig.
Gehrcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #10263
Saxon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Joe,

I will do my best to help you out. I have never re-laced a DRZ wheel, but I have done it on my XT225 which actually had 4 different spokes per wheel. I feel that if you don't put the proper length spokes exactly where they were designed to go, you most likely are going to run into a problem. There are a few videos on youtube showing the process, and it is surely something almost anyone with basic wrenching skills can do. It actually took me 2 tries before I got it right, but once I got everything in the correct order, it all went together smoothly and the rim was really easy to true.

If you are anywhere near South Jersey, I have a garage and all of the tools necessary to do this job. I would be more then willing to spend a few hours with you re-lacing your wheel. I used to belong to a Jeep forum and once in a while some of the local members of the group would get together to have a day of wrenching. It works out really well as members can learn and teach at the same time, it really benefits everyone.....well except for the motorcycle repair shops....lol
Thanks for your generous offer! I'm located in Northern California, but it's alright as I finally did it correctly the 3rd time around. I put all the long spokes on the sprocket side of the rim and the shorter ones on the brake side. It must be correct as I didn't have any extended spokes through the nipples.

Truing was trickier, but I got the radial and lateral runouts down to 1/16". It's a old 2003 rim, so I expect that it can't be perfectly straight & round.

Here's a picture of how I trued with the swing arm, clamps and a straight edge.
Attached Images

Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #10264
LockRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
If the spokes are on the wrong side the rim will shift relative to the hub (your tire will be too far to the right or left).

Anyway, it looks like you got it fine. I like your method of truing the wheel on the bike. I think you are within reasonable tolerances, especially considering the nature of the DRZ. I also generally don't balance my knobbies either, unless they are obviously off. We are not talking about high speeds generally on the DRZ. On top of that I can't imagine how often the tire would need to be rebalanced considering the rate at which knobbies wear out and thus change the balance. Just my personal take on it. Glad to see you are almost back in action!
LockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #10265
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadMike View Post
My 09 DR-Z400S is all ready to hit the road. Looking at around 1000mile trip over the next 3.5 day. I'm sitting here waiting on my buddy to get off work to head over to meet him and we are heading out.

Over the last week I've done a ton of work on her.
Ammo cans
Please supply me some details on those ammo cans. I'd like to add some to my ride this winter. Thanks.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #10266
LockRider
Adventurer

I guess I had better fill up with gas before this hurricane hits us here in South Jersey. I don't want to be stranded after the storm unable to find an open fuel station. Ugggh...
Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #10267
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
I guess I had better fill up with gas before this hurricane hits us here in South Jersey. I don't want to be stranded after the storm unable to find an open fuel station. Ugggh...
I am a nervous wreck, I am in Wilmington and am already getting hit by the outer band of the storm. I strapped my trailer down on all 4 corners under an old wooden swingset in my back yard. All you Northeasterners be careful out there.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #10268
LockRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
I am a nervous wreck, I am in Wilmington and am already getting hit by the outer band of the storm. I strapped my trailer down on all 4 corners under an old wooden swingset in my back yard. All you Northeasterners be careful out there.

Oh boy, that means it isn't too far away from us here in South Jersey. Right now it is still sunny, but they have already started the evacuation. I have not even started to batten down the hatches outside, still preparing the house for all of my friends and family that are taking shelter here. It doesn't make sense as I am only 5 minutes from the beach, but everyone else lives on the barrier islands which will most likely get hit hard. I am on somewhat high ground and I have a basement to take refuge in if necessary. Oh crap.....this is may be the big one!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #10269
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
.. All you Northeasterners be careful out there.
Ditto, hope z water surges won't be as bad... Take cover guys & secure ur Z's....
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #10270
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,061
Good luck Wilmington you guys should have a fun night.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #10271
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Good luck man, I've got friends and family on the east coast. Keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #10272
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
I appreciate all of the thoughts, and hope everyone on the coast has the best of luck.

In all this mess the doorbell rings and its the UPS man with a Racetech box I said man you need to get home. He said I am trying.

The wind is surging and I have intermittent Satellite service from Directv ( go figure) So I have been gettin updates from TWC.com. My truck has a power inverter (go Toyota!) so I am gonna run an extension cord to my fridge, maybe my router, and laptop charger. Its full of gas so I have power.

We had water spouts just last week at Wrightsville Beach, and was also shook a bit by the recent earthquake. The combo of these events, and the unusually strong Irene is what has me frazzled.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935

bobbed06 screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 05:37 PM
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #10273
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Man, the coast is getting way too much rain, and other parts of the US are dry as fuck.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #10274
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
I appreciate all of the thoughts, and hope everyone on the coast has the best of luck.

In all this mess the doorbell rings and its the UPS man with a Racetech box I said man you need to get home. He said I am trying.

The wind is surging and I have intermittent Satellite service from Directv ( go figure) So I have been gettin updates from TWC.com. My truck has a power inverter (go Toyota!) so I am gonna run an extension cord to my fridge, maybe my router, and laptop charger. Its full of gas so I have power.

We had water spouts just last week at Wrightsville Beach, and was also shook a bit by the recent earthquake. The combo of these events, and the unusually strong Irene is what has me frazzled.
I',m sitting in Adelaide, South Australia on a sunny late winter Saturday morning, aghast at how you must be feeling. The only time mother nature picks on us is when she sends us a wildfire. Hope you and all in the path of Irene get through safe and well. Houses can be rebuilt, Suzuki still make 400s. Keep safe.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #10275
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 668
I've got a new toy.....

K7 2008 model, 1,400 kms, Bashplate, engine protectors, fork bleeders, Renthall Jimmy Button bars, risers, tail tidy, LED tail light, Ballards billet exhaust end tip, Barkbusters hand guards, Twin Air filter, lenghtened gear folding shift, Safari 17 litre tank, rim locks, heavy duty tubes. The PO had done everything! In the first week I had it I clocked up 600 km in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia with a bunch of ADV inmates who gathered there to spread the ashes of Tony Kirby, an Australian motorcycling journalist and editor who is regarded as one of the founding fathers of ADV riding in Australia.
The DRZ performed beautifully, unleashing the inner larrikan in me at every corner exit. I'm deeply in love.
Tim

Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote