Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #10622
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by xconverge View Post
http://imgur.com/a/jlRTY

Pictures of the Corbin I am looking to trade for another seat that is taller
I would trade you. My seat is too tall for me. The previous owner said he had around $300 in the seat. It has a gel insert and some other foam work done to it, and a gripper seat cover. It seams pretty comfortable, but it is too tall for me. Let me know if you're interested!

SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #10623
msgvb

Oddometer: 272
modified stock brackets, or SV?
and modified how? was any welding involved? it's one of the few skills/trades I've not attempted. I figured, if I'm a sucky solderer, welding isn't going to be any prettier. and more permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Nope..just a stock SV650 Naked head light..harness spliced in and modified brackets to mount to stock SM/S DRZ fork tube mounts. Relatively easy to do.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #10624
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgvb View Post
I figured, if I'm a sucky solderer, welding isn't going to be any prettier. and more permanent.
Lol, you would think they are correlated but they are not. I can't solder to save my life but am a pretty decent mig welder.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #10625
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
I just went through all the tests on my stator and found it is shorted to ground. What is the most reliable replacement stator on the market now?
I've read a lot about Ricky Stator, seems to get good feedback. Anyone here with a recommendation? Thanks.

Thanks for the DR-Z air filter/oil tips
long story short:

RickyStator replaced my almost year old stator (with 4,000 miles on it) free of charge, no exchange needed, after only sending them a picture for verification. THAT is customer service. I will tell anyone about them that asks.

Thanks again RS for that !
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #10626
Ace420
DRZ400S

Oddometer: 241
Tires

I have a DRZ400s and am currently running the Dunlop D606's on the bike as that is what I purchased it with. From what I have read they are great tires for dirt, however after owning this bike and a previous dual sport for quite some time I have found that I am never off road. Anyway today I was riding in the rain and the bike felt like it was on ice skates. Even when it is dry, the tires don't have much bite on the street. They are also extremely noisy!!!

I know that the SM would probably be a better setup for me, but that is not what I have. So my question is what would be the best street tires and size (if other then factory size) for someone running 100% street?

Ace420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #10627
ZukiNoomin
The Dude abides

Oddometer: 282
Go back to Deathwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace420 View Post
I have a DRZ400s and am currently running the Dunlop D606's on the bike as that is what I purchased it with. From what I have read they are great tires for dirt, however after owning this bike and a previous dual sport for quite some time I have found that I am never off road. Anyway today I was riding in the rain and the bike felt like it was on ice skates. Even when it is dry, the tires don't have much bite on the street. They are also extremely noisy!!!

I know that the SM would probably be a better setup for me, but that is not what I have. So my question is what would be the best street tires and size (if other then factory size) for someone running 100% street?
The original tires on DRZ 400S models were the Bridgestone Trailwings. They are relatively inexpensive
and work well on the street. They will tolerate occasional, LIGHT off-road use or dirt roads well.
For me, they lasted a long time, and were predictable in the rain on the street.

ZukiNoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #10628
Ace420
DRZ400S

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukiNoomin View Post
The original tires on DRZ 400S models were the Bridgestone Trailwings. They are relatively inexpensive
and work well on the street. They will tolerate occasional, LIGHT off-road use or dirt roads well.
For me, they lasted a long time, and were predictable in the rain on the street.
Yes, and that is what one of my riding buddies has on his bike as that is what his came with. I actually think they look more appropriate for the type of riding that I do, however I am very skeptical as I usually hear so many negative comments about them.

Are there any real street tires available in sizes to fit the DRZ? Something more along the lines of what the SM has?

Ace420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #10629
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I believe you can get the Avon Distanzia in 21/18" flavors
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #10630
-TRED-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romatsu View Post
Tred - check out this link on thumper talk -
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-470523.html
I did it to my drz and think it may be what your looking for.
Thanks Romatsu! I can't pull up the pictures, but I think I can work through the details.

I was going really fast until I crashed.....BRAAAAP!
-TRED- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #10631
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgvb View Post
modified stock brackets, or SV?
and modified how? was any welding involved? it's one of the few skills/trades I've not attempted. I figured, if I'm a sucky solderer, welding isn't going to be any prettier. and more permanent.
No welding....just relocating some mounting holes and making some spacers. It becomes evident what you need to do when when you get the parts on bike and see where the modification needed to be done.

If I still had the bike, I'd get some pics for you, but I sold it earlier this year.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #10632
eternalRider
Ride to Live!

Oddometer: 57

what do you guys think of this? i want to make a dakar style fairing for my bike. i have a ninja fairing so might use that a a base and mod from there to suit my needs
eternalRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #10633
soul_adventurer
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 328
better headlight

i want to upgrade and improve my headlight for night itme riding.

im looking at the Sol Tek LaPaz HID spot light by baja.designs.com
its specs are: 35w HID, 3.8 amp contstant draw, 12-14v, 5000k color temperature.

now im now electrical genius, so none of this makes any real sense to me.

i like the look of the round light and i was hoping to install 2 of them side by side. i hired a honda 250 in loas a few years ago, and it had a baja kit with the lights mounted side by side in a special dedicacted frame. thats what i want to do.

after i install the lights, i want to fit a bikini size clear windscreen.

can anyone give me some advice on my decision here please? is it a suitable light etc etc.
what mods i would have to do to the bike's electrical system etc?

i note in my suzuki workshop manual that the specs state the standard bulb is 55w. im away from home at the moment for work, so i cant check if my bike has this globe or not. will i be able to install a brighter globe in the baja light or not?

thanks
benradette
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #10634
Romatsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRED- View Post
Thanks Romatsu! I can't pull up the pictures, but I think I can work through the details.
The only way I have found to get pics on TT is to copy the pics URL and paste it directly in the browser address box.
Don't know if it's just me or if every one has to do that.
Any inmates got a better solution?
Romatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #10635
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalRider View Post

what do you guys think of this? i want to make a dakar style fairing for my bike. i have a ninja fairing so might use that a a base and mod from there to suit my needs
I can see the need for wind protection on dual sports while on the road. I'm surprised that nobody offers them for sale, but I haven't seen any here. It looks like you have come up with a good alternative. I can't tell if it is large enough, but there aren't a lot of options. Let us know how it works for you.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote