Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #11026
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloDon View Post
Thanks.....I sent them an email to see if they still produce one that will fit the Z.
The main differences I found with the Ralle Moto damper (and the reason I chose it) are described here: http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d42.html

Basically, you get 8 levels of damping and a 3-way mode for control of Return to Centre. Very easy to adjust on the go.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #11027
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloDon View Post
Thanks.....I sent them an email to see if they still produce one that will fit the Z.
No Problem,
Post the info you get back from them. I would like to hear what they have to say as well.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #11028
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Cool2

Anyone have any thoughts on a windscreen that would work with a Baja 8inch Soltek light?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #11029
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Spring

Hey,
Would anyone have a stock rear spring they could part with for cheap <$20??? I'll pay shipping or pick it up if you're in NC.
Thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #11030
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf18djosh View Post
Awesome!!! I am pretty stoked to get mine set up So far I have picked up a nice tool roll, a set of black pelican 1520s,and replaced all of the plastics fasteners with nice same same new hardware. I will be out of town for a month, but post return I will be throwing on a Happy Trails SU rack and top rack, a 08' digital dashboard from a DRZ400SM....Brittania designs Lynx headlight and wind screen....and maybe some heated grips,and a Scottoiler!!
I am bringing my new-to-me, unmolested 2003 KLX home tomorrow, just in time for it to get really cold and wet - that always seems to be the case when I buy motorcycles in the fall. A risk I suppose. Having said that, is there anything besides replacing the typical maintenance items - oil and filter, brake fluid, coolant and doing a top to bottom inspection of other wear items - that I need to be aware of with these bikes?

I am trying to be a mature adult and get the basics done before the accessories start landing. It is really, really hard.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #11031
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Another option is to hard wire it into a switched supply. The cigarette lighter adaptors are cheap... strip the casing and extra bits, pot in epoxy, silicone or whatever else suits you for water proofing, but ensure adequate heat sinking, cover with heat shrink tube and attach it to the loom or some handy point on the bike. The only connector is the one into the GPS unit.
Careful if you do this. Wiring the GPS directly is not recommended as the GPS units are not 12V and need to be stepped-down. That's what the cigarette lighter does. I have added a cigarette lighter to mine and it's fine for on-road applications, but jarring off-road rides don't keep the lighter attached so well.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #11032
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on a windscreen that would work with a Baja 8inch Soltek light?
A lot of DRZ guys have had luck with the SpitFire:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ75...1&zmap=ZZ75309

I ran one for a while. Should be more at home with a round light like yours too.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #11033
DaDizzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Careful if you do this. Wiring the GPS directly is not recommended as the GPS units are not 12V and need to be stepped-down. That's what the cigarette lighter does. I have added a cigarette lighter to mine and it's fine for on-road applications, but jarring off-road rides don't keep the lighter attached so well.
My cigarette lighter adapter for my Garmin 276c does not step down the voltage. Not that I've dealt with all gps units out there but the ones I've had experience with will accept 12v just fine. The cigarette adapter that came with your gps likely only has wire and a fuse essentially.
DaDizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #11034
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
12 volt standard

I thought that 12 volt was a US standard across the board , if not what is it ?

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #11035
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Anyone have a source for protaper bar risers? I have protaper bars and mounts but want them up maybe an inch higher if possible.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #11036
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
A lot of GPS's can be powered by 12V directly, but many of the latest generation (particularly those that get their power over a USB connection) require 5V and a special cord with a step-down transformer which is sometimes in the cig lighter plug, sometimes inline in the cord. IOW, depends on the GPS.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #11037
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
A lot of GPS's can be powered by 12V directly, but many of the latest generation (particularly those that get their power over a USB connection) require 5V and a special cord with a step-down transformer which is sometimes in the cig lighter plug, sometimes inline in the cord. IOW, depends on the GPS.

- Mark
Interesting I did not know that. I will have to plug in my GPS cord to my 12v cigareete lighter plug and check the voltage at the USB. I will also check my cell phone charger as well.

Much appreciated....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #11038
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Interesting I did not know that. I will have to plug in my GPS cord to my 12v cigareete lighter plug and check the voltage at the USB. I will also check my cell phone charger as well.

Much appreciated....
I think the USB specifcation specifically requires 5V for powering small low-current draw devices through the USB port.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #11039
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
It's raining, it's supposed to snow 4 to 12" tonight and tomorrow............and the bikes are loaded, gear is packed, and my daughter and I are off to Moab through Sunday!

Weather is supposed to be 60ish and clear and 0% chance of precipitation..........

And yes, I am taking a camera!
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #11040
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno_rocket View Post
I am bringing my new-to-me, unmolested 2003 KLX home tomorrow, just in time for it to get really cold and wet - that always seems to be the case when I buy motorcycles in the fall. A risk I suppose. Having said that, is there anything besides replacing the typical maintenance items - oil and filter, brake fluid, coolant and doing a top to bottom inspection of other wear items - that I need to be aware of with these bikes?

I am trying to be a mature adult and get the basics done before the accessories start landing. It is really, really hard.
There are a few things that are particular to the DRZ/KLX models that you should check, like the auto cam chain tensioner and applying Loctite to a few things that tend to come loose etc.

Have a poke around in here http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25, there is an FAQ stickied at the top. There can't be too many questions left that haven't been asked and answered at least twenty times in there.

Other than that, just go ride it!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote