Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #11611
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Joined the club today with a 2000 with 3000 miles. Needs a little love but the price was right.

Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #11612
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
No... The DJ numbers are the hole size in 1/100ths of a mm so a 150 is a 1.5mm hole size. The Mikuni jet numbers are a flow measurement so a 150 is 150cc/min.

A quick Google finds conversion charts. eg:
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/dyno-mikuni.htm
Appreciate it, I kinda remember from a few years ago when I did a KLR that the numbers did not correlate - I ended up putting in a DJ 155 and backed the air fuel out 2.5 turns. Runs alot better from half throttle to WOT, but tops out at only 80 mph GPS speed. Plus I can't start it hot without full throttle. I've put the AF back at 1.5, and Im gonna try to swap the main for a smaller number without removing the carb from the bike. Bike is stock except for the 3X3. I'll check out the flow chart, may need to go to Suzuki and pick up a main next size up from the stock 142.5
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #11613
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictitious View Post
Hey guys, so I'm looking at getting a second set of rims for my DRZ and I'm looking for your perspective on something. I'm mainly looking to have a set with a more street oriented tires for commuting and longer distance riding and a set with knobbies for dirt. Do you think it would be worth it to get a set of super moto rims for the more street set? Having never ridden a sumo bike I'm not really sure what the purpose of the smaller front tire is; is it a better tire selection thing? Or does it significantly change the handling of the bike? Do you guys think I would be just as well off to have a regular set of rims and put some 90% street tires on them? I guess the advantage of doing that is I could keep the stock speedometer.
I'd think if you weren't planning to ride the street setup on the track, you could stay with the 18/21 and just put on a set of Scorpion MT90's or something similar. I like them very much except for single track in the mountains, when I swap out the MT90 rear for a 606. I leave the front with the MT90. But if your gonna buy a second set of rims, go ahead and get a set of 17's and you can either use a dual sport tire like a Distanzia or go with street/track rubber like a Q2 or an 003-R. I scored a set of 17" Excels with rotors, sprocket, decent Distanzias, and a SM fender for $500 in the fm. The adaptors for the front do not have a speedo drive, so I either use a GPS for speed or don't worry about it like at the track.

Anyway, my .02. PMR
Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #11614
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Joined the club today with a 2000 with 3000 miles. Needs a little love but the price was right.

dirty header pipe, loud fmf, worn out 606... mmm... someone's given her some login a time or three - congrats on the new-to-you ride, what's first for you ?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #11615
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
If it doesn't have a needle to match the 3x3 then you might consider a kit from Dynojet (3110) or James Dean kit. Both contain everything that you need.

Also, is it the KLR or the DR-Z that has difficulty starting hot?
KLR starts and runs perfect after doing the 685 kit and Stage I about 8000 miles ago.

My DRZ is basically stock but has always seemed lean when I roll on the throttle from half open to WOT. I just thought Id play around with some left over DJ jets, but I don't think the bigger main jet affected my starting (it always started easy until I swapped the main and messed with the AF screw last nite). I'll put the AF screw back like it was and go with a smaller main, if that doesn't help Ill pick up a kit like you suggest - thanks!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #11616
Jollybeggar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
dirty header pipe, loud fmf, worn out 606... mmm... someone's given her some login a time or three - congrats on the new-to-you ride, what's first for you ?
Me too! picked up my 2002 today. I'm a motorcycle virgin, this will be my first ever motorcycle. I haven't even got my license yet but I'm stoked, can't wait to learn a new sport at 55. I've been MTBing for years so adding a motor should be a piece of cake.
Jollybeggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #11617
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollybeggar View Post
Me too! picked up my 2002 today. I'm a motorcycle virgin, this will be my first ever motorcycle. I haven't even got my license yet but I'm stoked, can't wait to learn a new sport at 55. I've been MTBing for years so adding a motor should be a piece of cake.

23lbs 1/3 hp mountain bike vs 300lbs 34hp motorcycle....yeah pretty similar

Ok joking aside
Do yourself a favor take a MSF course
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #11618
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictitious View Post
Hey guys, so I'm looking at getting a second set of rims for my DRZ and I'm looking for your perspective on something. I'm mainly looking to have a set with a more street oriented tires for commuting and longer distance riding and a set with knobbies for dirt. Do you think it would be worth it to get a set of super moto rims for the more street set? Having never ridden a sumo bike I'm not really sure what the purpose of the smaller front tire is; is it a better tire selection thing? Or does it significantly change the handling of the bike? Do you guys think I would be just as well off to have a regular set of rims and put some 90% street tires on them? I guess the advantage of doing that is I could keep the stock speedometer.
I bought a Motostrano set for my bike . All that I can tell you is that after my sumo setup , Thats all that I care to ride on the street . It takes 15-20 minuets to change over and you get two bikes in one . If you look around , you can find a used setup . Check Supermotojunkie also . Good luck
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #11619
Ace420
DRZ400S

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post

They all need a little love. Congrats on your sweet ride! It looks really sweet, I love the blue and white.

Ace420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #11620
Ace420
DRZ400S

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollybeggar View Post

Sweet!!!! I also have a 2002 and love that bike! Post some photos bro.

Ace420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #11621
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I bought a Motostrano set for my bike . All that I can tell you is that after my sumo setup , Thats all that I care to ride on the street . It takes 15-20 minuets to change over and you get two bikes in one . If you look around , you can find a used setup . Check Supermotojunkie also . Good luck
I just purchase a 2006 DRZ SM last week. It has the 3x3 and 39mm K-carb already as well as the manual cam chain tensioner installed. In fact I think it was posted on here for a short time in the flea market. Anyway it had a chopped rear fender that I didn't care for so that is fixed with a new Acerbis as well as a DRC taillight kit. It also had an unknown exhaust that was butchered up so it has been replaced with the fmf Q4. There are a few other nice little mods previous owner(s) have done so I am about done for now anyway with the exception of a tail pack setup.

So now a couple questions if I may. Can you get a second set of rims with knobbies for the SM tha are easy swap outs? Also what tail pack set ups work well, I want a lockable tail trunk set-up thanks.
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #11622
Jollybeggar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post

Ok joking aside
Unfortunately there aren't MSF courses offered in my local area. I plan on taking it real slow with the learning, baby steps. Luckly I live near the Oregon Dunes Natl Rec Area so there are some nice safe areas to practice. I also got a few buddies to coach me.

You'd be surprised at how much technique MTBs share with motorcycles, it's mainly a matter of scale. I'm a professional driver so safety is my main focus, I will be real careful.
Jollybeggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #11623
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
I just purchase a 2006 DRZ SM last week. It has the 3x3 and 39mm K-carb already as well as the manual cam chain tensioner installed. In fact I think it was posted on here for a short time in the flea market. Anyway it had a chopped rear fender that I didn't care for so that is fixed with a new Acerbis as well as a DRC taillight kit. It also had an unknown exhaust that was butchered up so it has been replaced with the fmf Q4. There are a few other nice little mods previous owner(s) have done so I am about done for now anyway with the exception of a tail pack setup.

So now a couple questions if I may. Can you get a second set of rims with knobbies for the SM tha are easy swap outs? Also what tail pack set ups work well, I want a lockable tail trunk set-up thanks.
The set has to be off a DRZ , should be easy to find a dirt set and swaps in under 20 minuets .As far as locking trunks , might consider something like a Pelican box .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #11624
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
.. Can you get a second set of rims with knobbies for the SM tha are easy swap outs? ...
I have a set of 18/21 wheels on mine from Woodys Wheels.
Great quality, great service. Not cheap.
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/
Old 12-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #11625
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post

Ok joking aside
MSF course is always a good idea but you be surprised at how fast mtb's pick up dirt biking. They already have the balance and low speed agility, having an engine actually makes it easier.

DRZ400E tagged

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote