The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #14492
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Skid plate frame clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
I know there has to be a simple answer, but I can't find it. I bought Becktastics skid plate off of her wrecked Zebra. I think it's a Ricochet or Moose (TT, Utah, et al). The frame bolts line up perfectly, but I can't get the frame clip started without knocking it out of the way. Any tips for getting that little bugger going?
I struggled with that one for an hour or so then duct-taped the clip in place before seating the skid plate and doing the bolt to the clip first, then went after the bolts to the frame.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #14493
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
2 Clarke Tank Questions

1. I have a Clarke 3.9 gallon to install on my DRZ. I have seen on here that Clarkes are not known for cleaning out the plastic bits real well. My instinct is to rinse out the tank with water then repeat with maybe two cans of Heet, then let it sit for a day. Bad instinct? Open to any better suggestions.

2. Will the stock petcock work with the Clarke? If not where do I get a Raptor. I have not had any problems with the stock petcock so I'm not inclined to fix what isn't broke.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #14494
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
So I installed a new handlebar,took on and off the throttle grip. However the throttle is now hard to turn initially. Once it overcomes the initial turn it is fine. what did I do wrong this time and what should I check?
Check the tube, make sure its not binding. Without hand guards, the tube may be too far in on the bar. Loosen it, and pull it about 1/8" out on the bar. With hand guards, make sure the end of the grip is not hitting the guard. Also, the cables might be binding somewhere. Take your time and find the problem. Stuck throttles ain't no fun! Exciting, but not fun.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #14495
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
1. I have a Clarke 3.9 gallon to install on my DRZ. I have seen on here that Clarkes are not known for cleaning out the plastic bits real well. My instinct is to rinse out the tank with water then repeat with maybe two cans of Heet, then let it sit for a day. Bad instinct? Open to any better suggestions.

2. Will the stock petcock work with the Clarke? If not where do I get a Raptor. I have not had any problems with the stock petcock so I'm not inclined to fix what isn't broke.
My Clarke was loaded with plastic bits. I rinsed it with water then used compressed air to blow it dry. Lots of plastic came out; definitely don't skip that step.

I used the stock petcock. It's working OK except that the bend in the fuel line is quite extreme. I like the idea of the Raptor petcock because I believe the outlet comes from the side instead of the bottom, so no extreme bend.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #14496
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,862
Here's a rock video (not rock 'n' roll it's more like roll 'on' rocks) from my last ride on Memorial day Monday.
~230 mi off-rd a day. --------------> http://contour.com/stories/230-miles-off-rd-2
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #14497
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Here's a rock video (not rock 'n' roll it's more like roll 'on' rocks) from my last ride on Memorial day Monday.
~230 mi off-rd a day. --------------> http://contour.com/stories/230-miles-off-rd-2
Great video, thanks for sharing!

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #14498
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
So I installed a new handlebar,took on and off the throttle grip. However the throttle is now hard to turn initially. Once it overcomes the initial turn it is fine. what did I do wrong this time and what should I check?
I would start with the throttle tube and the two piece cable assembly. open it up and check for interference, sand or file down as needed. Then check the routing of the cables; are they still going around the triple tree? pull them out and rout in front of the tree, between the gas tank and forks. everything loose and working? I replaced the two 5mm screws with allen heads to make them easier to get in and out. let us know how it's working for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #14499
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel View Post
I would start with the throttle tube and the two piece cable assembly. open it up and check for interference, sand or file down as needed. Then check the routing of the cables; are they still going around the triple tree? pull them out and rout in front of the tree, between the gas tank and forks. everything loose and working? I replaced the two 5mm screws with allen heads to make them easier to get in and out. let us know how it's working for you.
I will double check tonight when I get home. Thanks for the advice. First time taking off the handlebar so I am guessing there is a line tangled somewhere as the throttle was working perfectly fine before i took it off.
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #14500
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixfords View Post
Great video, thanks for sharing!

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W
You welcome, here's another with more switch backs:
----------------->http://contour.com/stories/230-miles-off-rdday

and that's a hi-speed run under the Power Line rd (Dakar speed )
---------->http://contour.com/stories/230-miles-0ff-road1--2
That DRZ400 is an amazing bike

230 miles a day and my my DRZ said c'mon u can do better than that...

DR650SEDDY screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 12:27 PM
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #14501
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,625
Dr650seddy, are you wearing a Fly hi-viz helmet (thought I caught a glimpse in your mirror). How do you like it?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #14502
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Dr650seddy, are you wearing a Fly hi-viz helmet (thought I caught a glimpse in your mirror). How do you like it?
That's right good observation, i love that helmet and the price is right (~$125).
Old 05-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #14503
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
That's right good observation, i love that helmet and the price is right (~$125).
Cool. I'm gonna order one. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #14504
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
Steering Damper: So are there any reasonably priced ones that work on the market nowadays

I went out on Sunday and feel I could have used one on the logging roads we found

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
I wish I could find one but the discussion I have heard says that they are either for dirt or road and the two are opposite so doing dual sport means one or the other has to suffer...how much nobody will say. Let us know if you can find something.

Ryel screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 07:14 PM
Ryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #14505
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
CS sprocket

Has anybody tried to install a 16 t cs? My E came with 15/44 stock S gears currently have 15/48 on it
used it on Monday on mixed terrain,road,smooth fireroads,rocky FR,rutted FR,large granite boulders, etc
well you get the idea variety.Worked well except on the highway connections and to/from the riding area.
I am asking because another in our group ask me how I got the 15 t on.Replied it came that way but I didn't
know if a larger 16 t would?
Sorry no pics of the ride but if you check out the west forum under the Central Valley D-S group some of the
riders posted pics.There is a pic of my yellow '00 E, I'm the guy in the Kaw green sleeved jacket.Had fun,great
group of mix brands/riders...David
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote