Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #61
cuneesity
Ferendo

Oddometer: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir

I was wondering how you filled one of those things up. Just like fueling a bike!

Great report! Awsome adventure!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #62
linza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
I gotta keep my language skills in check, almost never talk to anyone in Croation anymore, feels good to be able to say a couple words in the mother tongue
Then come my friend to www.motori.hr/forum
and we can talk some more. If you will have problems with log in just let my now
Thanks to all of you
linza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #63
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by linza
Then come my friend to www.motori.hr/forum
and we can talk some more. If you will have problems with log in just let my now
Thanks to all of you
Thankyou for the link, but my reading ability ain't so good, alot of the words I don't understand even the simple part of registering, & logging in

Just thinking about it & I think I'd be a grade 2 level reading & writing of Croation, pretty sure the other members of that site would get bored with me in a hurry LOL

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510

Ruffus screwed with this post 05-16-2007 at 01:29 PM
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #64
Damir OP
AKA Pudla

Oddometer: 379
Day seven, 03.05.07, Sandstorm

There was lot of wind during the night. Around 8 o’clock in the morning it started to look like a sandstorm. Wind wasn’t very strong, but sand started flying everywhere. We had no previous experience with desert, so we decided to leave Ksar and head back to Pipeline road, and then turn east towards Matmata.

We headed towards center of oasis, to have some tea and coffee. Even that first part was problematic because there was lot of sand on the tracks.

OK time to go, after leaving tree cover, it really started to look bad, remember we are not some hardcore Dakar guys. We got stuck after few meters, managed to free ourselves, and reach begging of the road. Some Italian 4x4 car came from opposing direction. They stopped and told us that road is closed. It is not looking good, so we headed back to oasis. Linza tried to drive Varadero trough dunes near oasis.

Three hours passed, we talked with lot of people, and locals told us that it is OK to go, weather was the same, but we had hard time deciding what to do. It is unknown environment to us, and we were trying not to underestimate situation. Better safe than sorry. There was time for some relaxation.

Then we decided to try, another local driver told us that we should go instead of waiting for send to cover the road. It makes sense.
First 17 km were pretty hard, because of strong crosswind, but main problem was sand of the road. Surface is uneven, so we had hard time recognizing actual road condition. Once we come quite fast, and part of really bad road caught us by surprise. After that we decide to take it easy. We saw BMW RT coming from opposite direction. If he could do it, than we also probably will. It was good for our morale.

We turned northwards, and got wind in our backs. Much needed break. Then I noticed intense heat, my engine was very warm and ambient temperature was around 40 degrees centigrade, as we later found out.

Sand was getting everywhere, you could feel it inside your helmet, even between your teeth, and soon we started to have problems with our helmet visors. We reached Bir Soltane. Inside we met four bicycle riders from Ukraine. They were traveling southwards, and were not able to continue because of head wind. They told us that they will spend night in tents if weather stayed bad. We chatted for about half of hour, than it was time to go.

Main road was reached without problems. Then we turned eastwards towards Matmata, and crosswind appeared again.
Matmata is famous because of unique architecture, and parts of Star Wars movie were filmed there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matmata), so we started to encounter lot of tourists. We took few pictures from our bikes, because we don’t like overcrowded places.

After quite hard day we decided that is time for little relaxation, so we headed to Jerba, famous tourist resort. Landscape was very interesting.

We managed to find accommodation, but we were in fact quite disappointed with the place. It had some artificial touristy feeling, lot of hotels built without order. We had the most expensive dinner on our whole trip, and it was nothing special.

Also we noticed extreme police presence. Man who rented us apartment later told us that Jerba had very old Jewish Community, and that Jewish pilgrimage is taking place with people from all over the world attending. There were some attempts of terrorist attacks in past, so that explains lot of police everywhere in the island.

Tunisia ride report

Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Croatian Backroads
Damir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #65
Damir OP
AKA Pudla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldron
Great thread. I love the pictures.

I noticed that the shemagh you have is red. I have always wondered.. Is there a different meaning for the different colors? What do the different colors mean?

Also, does it do any good to wear one on a motorcycle?

Thanks for the great report of a beautiful country. Keep it comming.
Thanks!

Some people wear black, some red, I really don’t know.

It is OK for covering your head in intense heat, and covering your nose and mouth in sandstorm.

I found it impractical for motorcycle use. It doesn’t work well in combination with helmet because it prevents fresh air circulation in heat. Didn’t try it in cold, may be OK.

Tunisia ride report

Croatian Backroads
Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #66
Monsieur
Varadero Journeyman

Oddometer: 214
Fantastic report and photos!!
Monsieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #67
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
nice report Damir. your English is most excellent
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #68
quasaar
Carpe Diem

Oddometer: 30
we want more !!!
quasaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #69
Mandarax
internet insultant

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasaar
we want more !!!
Not to highjack this thread - which I really like - but maybe my report "What I did last Xmas (A noob in Tunisia)" I posted in March can help out. While Damir covers the upper part of the country, we went a little further down south.

@Damir: You have my respect for the tour you did and the bike you did it with. I wouldn' want to go down there with these heavy pigs.
Mandarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:45 AM   #70
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,055
Great pictures & overcoming natures little backstabs (sandstorms) is what its all about. There's something about crossing deserts on a bike that just wakes up the adventurer spirit in all of us
Once again, puno fala

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #71
Damir OP
AKA Pudla

Day eight, 04.05.07, towards Tunis

Before leaving Jerba, we headed towards Houmt-Souk. City is actually nice and we enjoy our morning coffee.

After short time we were back on the mainland. Plan is to drive on main roads and spend night somewhere near Tunis.

There is lot of “shops” along the road selling fuel smuggled from Libya. While we were approaching Mareth I noticed road signs pointing to military museum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mareth_Line). Museum is in fact staffed with Tunisian Army personnel, so NCO took us for a tour. He was very knowledgeable and his English was very good. There are also some original fortifications around.

Back on the road, and after some time we spotted two bikes standing in the shade. We pulled over, guess what, Slovenians again. Maybe I didn’t explain it when I was writing about our encounter with the girls. Slovenian and Croatian languages are similar so we understand each other very well. We sat for tea/coffee in nearby café, because we got so much to talk about. They also met girls, so they already know about us. Tomasso was on the ship with them, small world, isn’t it?

Rear tire on Tenere had a puncture, and I had one spare inner tire because you can use it in combination with tubeless in case that you can’t fix it with spray or plug it. We were in final stage of Tunisian leg of our trip, so I give my spare inner to them. Dimensions did not fit exactly, but I hope they put it in good use. We exchanged contacts, and one of them told us that he will publish their ride report in Slovenian motorcycle magazine and send us a copy. We had slightly different plans, so it was time to part our ways.

There was lot of traffic and driving was chaotic. Lot of slow moving trucks and very impatient car drivers started to make us nervous.

After snapping few pictures of coliseum in El Jem we decided to leave main road and head towards Kairouan to find accommodation. City is in fact very big, so it was not easy task, but we managed somehow. We decided to try some local fast food, it was good, and after few beers we very ready for sleep.

Tunisia ride report

Croatian Backroads
Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #72
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Every once in a while, a trip report pic will make me say *wow* out loud. Sometimes it's because the photo is simply beautiful, and sometimes, like this time, it's because I'm shown something totally unexpected.

Very cool.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:10 AM   #73
vstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Very nice indeed
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #74
vstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarax
Not to highjack this thread - which I really like - but maybe my report @Damir: You have my respect for the tour you did and the bike you did it with. I wouldn' want to go down there with these heavy pigs.
But you have no other option to go from mid of Europe to North Africa on bikes and you need to do some compromises. Going all the way with 350 ccm bikes is just impossible. You have to use cars and tow the bikes but this destroys the real adventure, IMHO, or use the bigger bikes.

I like your report and you certainly had a great time, but if I have to choose, my preferred way to visit Africa would be like this - just me and my bike.
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #75
ERIC DN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom
But you have no other option to go from mid of Europe to North Africa on bikes and you need to do some compromises. Going all the way with 350 ccm bikes is just impossible. You have to use cars and tow the bikes but this destroys the real adventure, IMHO, or use the bigger bikes.

I like your report and you certainly had a great time, but if I have to choose, my preferred way to visit Africa would be like this - just me and my bike.
You're right, I did both solutions, and each is good, it depends on your goal, if you want ride in sandy area and cross dunes with an heavy bike it's quite difficult. If you want drive hundreds km in a day with small bike it's borring.

I saw your report from corsica, I ask you a question.

Eric
ERIC DN is offline   Reply With Quote