User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Dave Ward OP
Not enough riding...

Oddometer: 1,696
Australia: BORDER RUN

Anyone riding to the Border Run, feel free to add pics & reports.

The Border Run is held on the first Saturday in August every year at the pub/roadhouse on the border of the states of Western Australia & South Australia. The event has been running for 33 years & the venue is ~ 1300 kms from Adelaide & ~1450 kms from Perth - the two nearest cities.

I left Albany (south coast WA) on Thursday morning on my 650 Dakar with my dog KT as pillion passenger. She's almost 12 years old & this would be her 5th Border Run.

I headed east to Esperance & on to Condingup before riding up Parmango Rd towards Balladonia. An ADVer from Esperance , Squily, had indicated via an earlier thread that he would also go that way & meet up at the abandoned Deralinya Homestead. Travellers are welcome to use the house with the request that it be left as found.

I arrived as John (Squily) was was dragging some firewood to the hut. The fire was lit in the great fireplace & John set up his tent just outside, I opted for one of the old beds inside. KT checked the place out & her behaviour satisfied me that there were no other animals in or around the hut.

The fire's going, Squily sets up his tent & KT guards the homestead hut

Next morning there was a light, but wet, mist that made riding difficult. Visor fogged up & rode just damp enough to have sand being flung up by the front tyre & into the face/eyes. I just HAVE to get a better front mudguard on the Dakar, standard is crap.

This road is 200 kms from Condingup to Balladonia & only the first 40 kms is sealed. The northern 2/3 is not maintained much & even has bushes & sapplings growing out of it in places. One section of about 75kms is dead straight so easy riding, only having to keep an eye out for the many rocks & bogholes.

Squily & gate

After refuelling at Balladonia John headed off to explore some tracks & caves south of the Eyre Hwy on his way to the Border. He even had a wire rope ladder on the back of his XR600 so he could descend into some of the caves.

I stuck to the tar for the 350 kms to Madura roadhouse where I noticed that the clip was missing from my chain joiner link. Got out my chain breaker & the rivet link (I'd been meaning to fit for some time) then quickly worked out how to install the link.

While doing that Bear, Nick, Gunna & Clive pulled into refuel before heading off to the night's destination of Red Rocks Point, a spot on the coast 35 kms south of the hwy east of Madura. I had been given directions by a couple of people but thought following this group's tyre marks on the dirt tracks would make it easier to find.

I found the turn off the highway & a few kms later the next turn was where I'd been told it should be. BUT, no tyre tracks. I was concerned but decided that since the track was heading south, it must go to the coast so I'll camp the night there somewhere. It was late afternoon & the shadows made the ride a bit more challenging & I took it easy along the track that wound through the coastal scrub, thinking I might be alone in here & having a fall could be serious.

The T junction at the end had a sign telling me to the left is Out Of Africa (great name for whatever is there) & to the right is Red Rocks Point so was relieved to be where I wanted. I passed a few pro fishers shacks before stopping at one that looked inhabited. I wanted to find a shack owned one of the fishermen out there so stopped at the first one that looked inhabited to ask directions only to have the man I was looking for walk out to meet me.

The view from the shack

After greetings he asked where Bear & the others were & I answered that I thought they were in front of me. They arrived later, having been delayed by a flat tyre on Gunna's R80GS while taking a shortcut I wasn't aware of. They were on a very mixed group of BMWs. Bear was on his old R90S, Nick on a F800ST (he'd owned for two days) and Clive on an 1150GS.

After a great feed & more than sufficient alcohol we all hit our respective fart sacks at about 10 pm. Then we were roused by the sound of motorcycles arriving. It was 'A' on his X-Challenge and Belly on his GSX1400 Suzuki (left the 640 Adv at home for this trip). They were fired up after their ride along the access track at night & so sleep was postponed for a while.

I was up before sunrise & went for a good walk with KT down the beach as the sun rose - magnificent! And not a soul to be seen, not even footprints. I vowed to come back & spend at least a few days camped in here, maybe next year. Back at the shack/house the BBQ was fired up for a breakfast cook-up.

Gunna used our host's air compressor to properly seat the tyre he'd repaired on the way in while everyone else gathered to see if the 90S would start (had failed to do so for some time the previous morning apparently). The old bike kept the old bloke happy by firing up OK.

Bear gives the finger to the doubters

I was first away & enjoyed the track in the better light conditions on the way out.

Then back on the tar for the last hour and a half to the Border. There were only a few early comers there but was great to watch the bikes pour in from both east & west.

More to come tomorrow

Light travels faster than sound, which must be why when I meet some people they seem bright - until I hear them speak.

Dave Ward screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 04:22 AM
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
smiley mark
smiley

Oddometer: 415
Thanks some good photos.. Keep em comin
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Kev1
Live Life

Oddometer: 25
border run 09

Great pics and story. It was only my second trip and mostly on the black top but I am now motivated to see even more of this corner of Australia. I met KT and she is in great shape for 12. I was impressed by the age ranges of all the Beemers too. Thanks for the report.
Kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,840
Nice report, keep the pics coming Dave.

I've been out to Israelite Bay years ago, on my old GS80 PD but I've never ridden up to Balladonia from down that way. I must have a look one day.

Andrew.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Pejie
old rider

Oddometer: 791
KT & dave
good to see kt out & about, one of the best dogs around.

The dakar with the trailer gained a bit of interest so a couple of pics of it in full glory

dave the owner

I left Friday morning & headed along hyden-norseman rd. Seeing your photos KT made me disappointed i didn't leave earlier & see more either side of the highway but work is work. Met up with Donny & BM boys just east of balladonia friday night, BV early afternoon saturday, stayed a while, took a few insults - afternoon shift my arse Dave. Back along H-N rd & into Hyden Sunday night. Rode last 11/2 hrs in the dark side by side at very easy pace with all the lights on, reckon it would have looked awesome from the trucks coming the other way when we crested the rise. Hot food cold beer & warm bed Sunday night
Bit of tourist stuff on Monday
Wave rock

One of the highlights is just meeting people at the servos as you ride along.
Tuesday morning a farider stopped at the post office next to work so had a chat then as well. He'd gone the long way to get there - victoria FNQ, NT
www.steelpony.com.au
Pejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,860
And you had me thinking you were doing a border run to NZ
Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Dave Ward OP
Not enough riding...

Part 2

Bikes kept arriving till evening & someone counted 120 of 'em just after dark. All motel units & dongas were full & a large number of people were camped in the bush across the Hwy with almost an equal number in the campground out back.

I was too busy being sociable to take many pics. One of the few I took was of the massive double swag on a 1500 Goldwing.

Built for comfort

I had a meal (not as good as in previous years) in the restaurant with the same group of people I'd dined with in the same place 12 months earlier. These are people I've known for over 30 years and are residents of Brisbane, Sydney & Adelaide. In fact many of the people I caught up with at the Border I've known for many years and only see at events like this.

It's enough to say a good night was had by all, even KT seemed to be getting plenty of attention sitting outside the pub door. I headed for bed at around midnight (WA time) & there were still those partying on around the camps across the road.

Most of Sunday was spent riding the Highway westward or stopped at roadhouses refueling bike & body along with the many others riding west. At Balladonia I, along with Andreas & Belly, got some beers for the night we planned to spend at another vacant station homestead.

We'd been given directions to Nanambinia homestead, a bit closer to Balladonia than the one I'd stayed in on Thurs night. So it was back on to the dirt road that heads south towards Esperance.

Belly enjoying the GSX on the dirt

We arrived early enough to collect some firewood & have a look around the house & surrounds. Someone had been there earlier that day cleaning up the yard with a line trimmer. This house had obviously been lived in during the last few decades, evidenced by the satelite dish on the roof. It even had a flush toilet, even though the flushing is done with a bucket of water.

Andreas & KT

Some of the original buildings

Another night spent in good company in front of a fire, solving the problems of the world & reminiscing about the previous few days. We also were in the presence of the pudding, as Andreas was carrying it to Albany from the Border.

Warm pudding

In the morning, after we'd packed and done the housework (sweeping, cleaning, etc to ensure the place was left in the condition we found it) we rode over to visit the property scrap yard. We checked out the old vehicles & machinery on our way back to the track west to the Parmango Rd.

Some classic German machines

Interesting way to change gearing & bodgy repairs

Along the road there are a few gates, one of which is festooned with all sorts of underwear, some of which 'A' felt he had to check out.

Not far down the track I pulled up with my oil light glowing red on the dash! We traced it to a faulty electrical connection so I was able to continue riding without risk of engine failure. Belly though the sight of a BMW with a problem so noteworthy he logged the location on his Spot device.

We stopped in at Deralinya homestead as Belly had never been there and I picked up my dog's water bowl that I'd left behind a few days earlier. Then another 120 kms of dirt before the tar began again.

After that we only stopped at places ending in 'up'. Condingup for fuel, Munglinup for fuel & lunch, then Jerramungup for our last fuel. We got back to Albany before dark, around 6 pm. A bloody great trip!

Several days later I'm still basking in the memories of the top ride, great company & excellent weather over the 5 days, A real battery recharger break from the routine...

Light travels faster than sound, which must be why when I meet some people they seem bright - until I hear them speak.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
"A"
numbum

Oddometer: 372
I must learn to stand in a more vertical fashion! It was probably the most "social" border ride I've been on. At most servo's I found like minded individuals -however the coastal inhabitants tend to go to bed early.
Good photo of the bikes at the border Dave.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
Eaglebeak

I saw the Goldwing with the big swag, It looks like it obscured the rear view mirrors.

Belly, how do you like the 1400 ?
After a lifetime of BM's I added a GSX to my shed. It's being set up for an outfit (finished soon I hope) but I've ridden it a few times as a solo and it frightens the crap out of me !
Very quick, I had to watch my wrist on the throttle, but it's going to be a great tug, so grunty.

Andrew.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Dave Ward OP
Not enough riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak
Andrew, I don't think Belly is on ADV. I think he's more than pleased with it, was making comments about it spinning up easily in the dirt & wishing there were some pigs to chase when on the dirt.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #11
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
Thumb

Top report - next year - good to see another muff man
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #12
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak
I saw the Goldwing with the big swag, It looks like it obscured the rear view mirrors.

After a lifetime of BM's I added a GSX to my shed. It's being set up for an outfit (finished soon I hope) but I've ridden it a few times as a solo and it frightens the crap out of me !
Very quick, I had to watch my wrist on the throttle, but it's going to be a great tug, so grunty.

Andrew.
Any pix Andrew?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Eaglebeak

Soon Dave, soon.

The leading link is on and the frame is nearly finished. I'm waiting on the Ali body, should be next week.

It's all being put together by a mate who has built 3 or 4 outfits. His latest also being a GSX1400.
Those that were at last years OCR would remember his unusual, (but very efficient and strong) front end.

We've since improved on this one (originally made for tar work only).
Mine has more travel.

Andrew.

Eaglebeak screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 01:20 AM
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Some photos of the 09 border run . http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...009/?start=all

pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Dave Ward OP
Not enough riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
Some good pics there, actually there's a lot of good pics there. Have you got a count on the number of bikes you got pics of at the Border?