User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
dieselman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Does bmw balance the wheels?

1- I took notice the new bikes dont have any wheel weights from the factory are they balanced ? 2- Do I really need my new tire balanced ? I dont like the way those cheap looking tape on weights look. I got a dam hole in my 1600mi tourance and neither the dealer or the local tire shop would plug it, so I had to put out $200 for a new one now I guess I"ll try to do it myself any body know where to buy those mushroom plugs at?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Glierly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
balanced wheels

I put new tires on recently and before mounting them - checked the balance using the Marc Parnes balancer ( a great product). On both wheels the valve stem slowly settled in at the six o'clock position. I mounted the tire with the marks against the valve stems and didn't have to use any weights on the front, a small amount on the rear.

I guess it could be luck of the draw but I suspect they are balanced.

Gary
Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman
1- I took notice the new bikes dont have any wheel weights from the factory are they balanced ? 2- Do I really need my new tire balanced ? I dont like the way those cheap looking tape on weights look. I got a dam hole in my 1600mi tourance and neither the dealer or the local tire shop would plug it, so I had to put out $200 for a new one now I guess I"ll try to do it myself any body know where to buy those mushroom plugs at?

Don't do a plug unless you mean a patch with a plug type combo. Plugs are for getting home, patches are for permanent fixes. The wheels/tires do get balanced from BMW factory and should be re-balanced everytime you change out a tire. You may have got an extremely true tourance and wheel, but rare that I ever see one not requiring weights. As for the stick ons, they are the easiest and cheapest. How can you see the weights when you're riding the bike????
Old 05-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
dieselman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Yep thats What I"m looking for the patchs with the plug stem that you pull thru from the Inside , How does bmw balance the tires without using external weights ? I dont remember ever seeing any on new bikes
Old 05-13-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
I'll sell you a mushroom plug...what size do you need?

Don't forget to buff the inner liner before installion or it won't stick.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,092
Quote:
Yep thats What I"m looking for the patchs with the plug stem that you pull thru from the Inside , How does bmw balance the tires without using external weights ? I dont remember ever seeing any on new bikes
My new bikes all have had weights on them.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
My r1150gs came with a weight on both wheels from the factory.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
papavero
Just good enough.

Oddometer: 114
Factory balance?

Good question. When I picked up my '07 GS, it had no wheel weights at all. Seemed funny. My experiance has shown that very few tires have perfect balance. I know some people will say that they seldom have to put weights on there wheels. Anyway, I pulled my wheels and checked them with my Marc Parnes wheel balancer (great product) and both wheels required weights. Spoke wheels with Tourances.

Paul
'07 R1200GS
papavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
When I visit the dealer I have noticed that GS's with spokes have weights and the cast rims do not. I have ZERO idea why, but it is what I have observed on about 10 different bikes.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
GSAviator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Wheel balance

Mine (3 weeks old) has a balance weight on the rear wheel, and none on the front.
Doc Holliday: I don't.
GSAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504
I haven't needed to balance one yet - line up the light mark on the tire with the valve stem, and it should suffice
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
opdet1ca
NO JAFO

Oddometer: 5
Thumb New Tires Vs. Plugs

Quote:
Brah,

I just had the same experience. Not sure where you live but my dealer in Orange CA does not "plug" tires either. As it turns out My Pirelli Scorpion rear which grabbed a nail in the fat lip between tread and side wall and d/n leak for at least 2 days was no longer in production so I was advised to change both as they were at about 20% remaining. I bought my 02 1150 GS from them 5 months ago with said tires in place- soooo....I spent big bucks on 2 new Michelins. A new friend- also waitng for his service work told me of a couple of places that will install mail ordered BMW meats and also does plug jobs. My dealer is an industry Icon and they know their stuff but.....Someone out there in greater L.A. or wherever, will do it for less. A great catalog to order from is AEROSTICH- lots of goodies and useful stuff too.
opdet1ca is offline   Reply With Quote