Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 01:48 PM   #1
fatneck OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Low maintenance AND kick & electric start...

Hi all,

I've searched, but can't really find the answers. I'm after a bike (for offroad only) that is low maintenance and has kick & electric start. So far, all I can see are the:

DRZ250
DR350SE ('98 & '99)

I know the WRFs and CRFXs have both, but as I understand these are quite high maintenance, along with various KTMs. So, what other bikes have both, and are noob friendly/low maintenance? Are there any others? I know that you can add a kick starter to the DRZ/KLX etc.

Thanks!
fatneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #2
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Why do you need a kick?
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #3
fatneck OP
n00b

I'm hoping I won't need the kick, but after my last DRZ's battery/starting problems I would rather have it.
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #4
leben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
A pre-2001 TW200 is another option that has kick and electric start.
leben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #5
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
i've had both the drz250 and dr350...both great bikes.

just a thought though, the drz250 and 400 require some juice in the battery to power the electronic ignition in order to start. Doesnt matter how much you kick it, if the battery is dead, it wont start. I think there is a work around that uses a capacitor to store some of that power while you kick and then power it enough to get started...but it's been a long time since i looked it up.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #6
fatneck OP
n00b

Did not know that about the TW - thanks.

Hmmmmn, so a flat battery on either of the DR's mentioned would still not be startable with a kick, unless the workaround is applied. Good to know!
ZX-6R J2
Fazer 600 '99
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #7
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

just to clarify, it's the DRZ's not the DR's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatneck View Post
Did not know that about the TW - thanks.

Hmmmmn, so a flat battery on either of the DR's mentioned would still not be startable with a kick, unless the workaround is applied. Good to know!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #8
fatneck OP
n00b

Errrg, work is getting in the way of my ADV'ing!

Ok, so the DRZ 250 and DRZ 400 has this issue, but not the DR 350SE. Now am I right in thinking it is only the DR350SE that has kick & electric. '98 and '99?
ZX-6R J2
Fazer 600 '99
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #9
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
i am not sure that information is accurate, the DRZ400ks are kick only without a battery. I used to kickstart my 400E with a dead battery all the time.

I never tried to kickstart my DRZ250, the button has always worked.
Old Today, 02:48 PM   #10
Baconologist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'd have give anything for my DR200 to have a kick last weekend. the 5k mile starter quit.
Watching this thread carefully.
Baconologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #11
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatneck View Post
Hi all,

I've searched, but can't really find the answers. I'm after a bike (for offroad only) that is low maintenance and has kick & electric start. So far, all I can see are the:

DRZ250
DR350SE ('98 & '99)

I know the WRFs and CRFXs have both, but as I understand these are quite high maintenance, along with various KTMs. So, what other bikes have both, and are noob friendly/low maintenance? Are there any others? I know that you can add a kick starter to the DRZ/KLX etc.

Thanks!
Add a kicker to an '02-present DR-Z400S. Then throw on a front DOT knob and a rear DOT semi-knob. Get a wider-ratio gearset if you don't want to be swapping sprockets back and forth for slab and dirt.

If you can find a kicker for a KLX351S, its 6spd may work even better for you. Beef the subframe if you want to use it much.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54 PM   #12
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

all depends on how much power the dead battery has. it doesnt take much to power the CDI, but it does take some.

I was unable to kickstart my drz250 without some power and just a month or two ago, rode with a friend on a drz400 who had his stator go out during a ride and he couldnt start his bike once the battery discharged.

Just my experience, so I guess I'll retract my statement that "all" drz's are this way since I'm sure other's have different experiences.
-Hunter S. Thompson