Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
ry8762 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Ktm 300 XC power for gps

Hello all and Merry Christmas

Now i need to mount a montana 600 with a rugged mount to a xc 300 and the bike has no battery but the lights work when running, i have had a look and it seems the indicator supply behind the headlight is the way to go (red/yell and brown)

my question being without the battery i doubt that the supply will be constant and it will fluctuate, so will the gps be ok with that? the rugged mount states 10-50v but i would think the voltage on the bike will drop below the 10v and i dont want to fry my gps!

Cheers in advance
ry8762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry8762 View Post
Hello all and Merry Christmas

Now i need to mount a montana 600 with a rugged mount to a xc 300 and the bike has no battery but the lights work when running, i have had a look and it seems the indicator supply behind the headlight is the way to go (red/yell and brown)

my question being without the battery i doubt that the supply will be constant and it will fluctuate, so will the gps be ok with that? the rugged mount states 10-50v but i would think the voltage on the bike will drop below the 10v and i dont want to fry my gps!

Cheers in advance
The problem is the XC is putting out AC, the GPS won't run on that. If you get ahold of a Voltage regulator from a XCW which has DC output and install it along with a capacitor you'll have the DC that you need to run the Montana. The VR has outputs to got to the battery, try around a 4400uf/50V capacitor across that output (polarity sensitive) and wire the GPS harness across the same points. Cyclops makes a small add on DC rect/reg for their LED lights, that might work also.
Verify the output prior to hooking up the GPS, if it falls below 10V at idle (and it probably will) you'll have to install a small 12v battery instead of the cap.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote