Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #151
mjg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Howdy,

Great thread - I've learned a lot.

Just got a 2001 and the original owner installed a 16/40 sprocket combination so I can confirm it works pretty well hauling my lard ass around (6'1" / 200#). I'm not sure I'd like the stock combination much - ISTM it would wind up pretty tight pretty quick...

anyway, sprockets and chain are shot so any recommendations on where I can pick them up cheaply?

And the bike has 5k miles: should I anticipate replacing front brake pads and rear liners? TIA.
mjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #152
Beamer
Infidel

Oddometer: 13
Hey all

Been lurking around this thread and the minimalist thread for a while trying to make up my mind wich bike to get. Finally decided on the DR200 and couldnt be happier. I'm 44 yrs old and had never rode a motorcycle before. I got stubby leggs with a 30 inch inseem so the DR seems to fit me well. My main purpose for getting the bike is exploreing forest service roads, 4X4 trails and so on. I love my old GMC 4X4 but at 10mpg it's just to expensive to spend the weekend prowling around the mountains like I used to. I have had a blast on this little bike. Just got it last weekend and have put about 250 miles on. I dont know if there could be a better bike for someone to learn on.

Happy Trails to everyone
Beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #153
Python423
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
the DR200 in action....

Full Ride Report from this ride at, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248869

http://www.facebook.com/python423
Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #154
2 Wheels

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
... Finally decided on the DR200 and couldnt be happier. ... I dont know if there could be a better bike for someone to learn on.
I got mine 2 years ago, and I have to agree with you on that one. When I was looking for a bike, I wanted to get a bigger bike, but someone at work who used to ride motorcycles a lot advised me to go small. I took his advice and haven't regretted it one bit.

I've never ridden a Yamaha XT225, but it seems like it's a pretty similar bike. I think it'd also be a good first bike.
2 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #155
2 Wheels

Ride Report - Erendira, Baja California Part 1

SANTO TOMAS TO ERENDIRA 7-27-2007 - PART 1

Last week, husky4me, Joaquin, and I rode from Tecate to Laguna Hanson. This week, Joaquin invited husky4me and myself to stay at his mother's house in Ensenada Thursday night and ride from Santo Tomas to Erendira on Friday. We both know a good thing when we see it, so we take him up on the invite. Thanks, Joaquin, once again for the invite.

MAP OF NORTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA

The towns of Santo Tomas and San Vicente on the main highway and Erendira on the coast were the main points on our route.

FIRST PART OF OUR ROUTE - ENSENADA TO SANTO TOMAS

LEAVING CHULA VISTA

The ride starts for husky4me and myself in Chula Vista when we load the bikes into my truck and leave for Ensenada. When Joaquin gave me directions, he couldn't remember the address of his mother's house, but he had GPS coordinates. We would have spent 2 hours trying to find her condo without that little gadget.

CONDO IN ENSENADA

We arrive in Ensenada to a beachfront condo about a mile or so north of downtown. The smell of the salty air, the sound of the surf, and the feel of an ocean breeze are no surprise when we arrive at the condo. What surprises me is that his mother is American and speaks mostly English.

One of the first things she tells me is that she likes my ride write-up from the week before about the ride to Laguna Hanson. She also asks me how to find it on the internet so she can tell her daughter how find it and read it. Finding out that people outside the world of motorcycling are reading our write-ups and enjoying them makes me happy. I know you're going to read this write-up sooner or later so I'd like to thank you once again for letting me stay at your house.

GETTING READY TO LEAVE

We leave the condo a little after 7:00 AM to have breakfast at Mikaza Restaurant in Ensenada.

THE GROUP AT MIKAZA RESTAURANT

From to right that's myself, Martin "husky4me", Joaquin, and Joaquin's nephews Miguel and Rai. Their family is into racing and they love motorcycles. I have a funny story to tell about them and motorcycles later on.

A KID'S MEAL AT MIKAZA

The locals in Ensenada know Mikaza as a restaurant that serves big breakfasts. It gets my recommendation too.

HOW TO FIND MIKAZA

If you're ever in Ensenada trying to find Mikaza, it's across the street from this.

READY TO LEAVE AFTER BREAKFAST

That's Dana in the orange T-shirt. The jeep next to the bikes is Dana's. Dana has been on the chase crews for Baja race teams since she was a little girl and she loves to drive around on the back roads of Baja California. She is going to chase for us today and she has a radio to stay in contact with Joaquin. She's also taking her two nephews along. Did I mention they like motorcycles?

We take pavement from Ensenada to Santo Tomas. As we ride through Ensenada, I smell smoky fires. I can't see where they're coming from but there's nothing but city around us. Maybe people use them to cook.
A few people are driving like they're late for work and making me nervous. One driver comes within a few inches of taking out husky4me, but we make it out of town without any mishaps.

MEXICAN FEDERAL HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH OF ENSENADA

THE SANTO TOMAS VALLEY

Lots of vineyards around here. That building on the left is a winery.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #156
2 Wheels

Erendira, Baja California Part 2

PART 2 OF ROUTE - SANTO TOMAS TO LA CALAVERA

LEAVING PAVEMENT IN SANTO TOMAS

At Santo Tomas, we leave the main highway and take the dirt road for La Calavera on the coast.

SANTO TOMAS

OVERLOOKING SANTO TOMAS

After riding through town, we stopped to take a photo of the Santo Tomas Valley

ROAD TO LA CALAVERA

Some years, the Baja races follow the same route we're taking. At first, the road is like any other dirt road. It's washboarded and doesn't have as much traction as pavement, but it's easy to ride.

ROAD TO LA CALAVERA

Mostly we see chaparral on either side of the road.

A FARM ALONGSIDE THE ROAD

Although the road is lined with chaparral for the most part, we see the occasional farm like this one.

After a while, we get to what I guess is part of the Baja race course. It's rocky, but the rocks are either small enough for a motorcycle's wheels to roll right over or far enough apart to go around. There are whoops everywhere. All the corners have berms, but they also have huge bumps right before and after.

For those outside the world of motorcycling who don't know what whoops are, I found this definition on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle-Glossary.com
Also known as whoop-de-doos. A section of track with a row of dirt mounds or moguls. Whoops are one of the most difficult obstacles on a Supercross track, as timing, throttle control and body positioning are crucial. Whoops are usually good places for fast riders to pass.
I didn't get any pictures of the whoops on the trail - I was too busy hanging on - so here are some pictures I found on the internet to give you the idea.

THESE ARE SOME SMALL WHOOPS.

SOME BIGGER WHOOPS ON A TRACK.

The Baja race course isn't difficult to ride, but it's difficult to ride fast. I don't know how to ride whoops. I think the good riders jump them and skip every other one or skim across the top and avoid the deep part in between them, but that's beyond my ability so I just go slow keeping both wheels on the ground most of the time. Jumping them could be dangerous because every now and then there's a big rock in the low ground between whoops that could make you crash if you hit it. When you're in a trough, you can't see the trough in front of you. I have a newfound respect for Baja racers after riding that section of road.

By the end of the ride, I've bottomed the suspension on my little trail bike more times in one day than in all the rest of the time I've owned it.

MORNING COASTAL FOG

This is a DR200 thread, isn't it? That's my little DR about a half mile from the Pacific Ocean. The morning coastal fog beyond the next hill tells me we're almost at the beach.

OVERLOOKING LA CALAVERA FISHING CAMP

Joaquin and husky4me appreciating the view of La Calavera.

LA CALAVERA

This is what Joaquin and husky4me are looking at in the previous photo.

TAKING A PICTURE THROUGH THE MORNING FOG

CLOSE UP VIEW OF LA CALAVERA

ON OUR WAY AGAIN
Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #157
2 Wheels

Erendira, Baja California, Part 3

PART 3 OF ROUTE - LA CALAVERA TO ERENDIRA

ROAD TO ERENDIRA

LOOKING FOR SHELLFISH

That's not any of us. We didn't bring swimming gear.

CHASE VEHICLE ON THE BEACH

We stop at a beach between La Calavera and Erendira where we meet up with Dana and the kids.

RIDING ON THE BEACH

We never get to do this at home so we can't pass up the opportunity.

MORE RIDING ON THE BEACH

RAI GETTING A RIDE

MIGUEL GETTING A RIDE

MIGUEL AND RAI POSING BY MY BIKE

MIGUEL ON MY BIKE

RAI ON MY BIKE

After I take Miguel's picture on my bike, he asks me if he can ride it. At first I say no, but he says he knows how to ride a bike and asks again. Thinking his aunt will never let him ride my bike, I tell him that if his aunt says it's okay, then he can ride it. When he asks Dana, she says "Yeah, no problem." I'm surprised that she says yes, but now I guess I have to let him ride it. Miguel riding my 250-pound bike is like me riding a 500-pound bike with a 39-inch seat height.

As we start walking over to the bike, Joaquin realizes what's going on, and tells his wife that the boys want to ride the bike themselves, not ride it as a passenger. Immediately she says "No way!" so they're safe from having 250 pounds of metal fall on them, and I'm safe from having to ride back with broken turn signals. But they miss the fun of taking a short spin on a motorcycle on the beach.

The confusion resulted from their saying something like "pasear en la moto" which can mean either ride the bike or ride on the bike as a passenger. They almost got to do it.

After playing around for a while on the beach, it's time to hit the road again.

ROAD TO ERENDIRA

NEAR COYOTE CAL'S BUNKHOUSE

GROUP PHOTO NEAR COYOTE CAL'S

Since we're so close, we decide to go check it out.

COYOTE CAL'S

COYOTE CAL'S DINING ROOM

It's more of a dormitory than a hotel, but it's clean, and seems like a good place to stay on a trip to Baja. Here's a link to their website if anyone's interested. http://www.coyotecals.com/
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #158
2 Wheels

Erendira, Baja California Part 4

PART 4 - ERENDIRA TO SAN VICENTE

RIDING THROUGH ERENDIRA

MORE RIDING THROUGH ERENDIRA

ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF ERENDIRA

ROAD TO SAN VICENTE

DIRT ROAD TO SAN VICENTE

There's a paved road to San Vicente which we take part of the way, but there's also a dirt road. The dirt road is hard to find, but Joaquin finds it and we take it the rest of the way.

BIRRIERIA SAN VICENTE

By the time we get to San Vicente we're pretty hungry and we stop for some tacos.

On the way back, we more or less retrace our steps back to Erendira, La Calavera, Santo Tomas, and Ensenada.

A sand rail almost takes me out somewhere around Erendira on the way back. He's passing a car in town but sees me in time to slow down and get back into his own lane. Other than that, the ride back is about the same as the ride to San Vicente.

POST-RIDE CARNE ASADA
Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #159
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Great report

For the whoops, whether you skim them or double/triple/quad though them depends on the size/shape and speeds involved, though I don't think I've ever encountered natural whoops (well, whoops made by bikes vs buldozers and steam rollers) that weren't best skimmed. Its really only big, man made whoops on tight tracks that need to be doubled or tripled though. That said, I don't think I'd want to try skimming whoops on a DR200

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #160
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Those pics were awesome!! I wanna go to ensenada so freekin bad
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #161
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
New problem....

My 96 electric start is dead. No cranky...
Battery is good, the bike runs well after bump starting; just no crank.

I've only had the bike 6 mos, is this a 'common' problem ?

Do any of you bypass the clutch or sidestand interlocks? Is the starter relay a weak spot ?

Anyone have this before ?

Thanx
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #162
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound
New problem....

Do any of you bypass the clutch or sidestand interlocks? Is the starter relay a weak spot ?

Thanx
I've never had a problem like that. It does sound like a clutch or sidestand interlock problem. I've left mine stock. I had to bumpstart mine once when I left the ignition on and drained the battery by accident.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #163
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Wheels
SANTO TOMAS TO ERENDIRA 7-27-2007 - PART 1

Last week, husky4me, Joaquin, and I rode from Tecate to Laguna Hanson. This week, Joaquin invited husky4me and myself to stay at his mother's house in Ensenada Thursday night and ride from Santo Tomas to Erendira on Friday. We both know a good thing when we see it, so we take him up on the invite. Thanks, Joaquin, once again for the invite.
Great report! I didn't see it right away because I was on vacation.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #164
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis
Howdy,

Great thread - I've learned a lot.

Just got a 2001 and the original owner installed a 16/40 sprocket combination so I can confirm it works pretty well hauling my lard ass around (6'1" / 200#). I'm not sure I'd like the stock combination much - ISTM it would wind up pretty tight pretty quick...

anyway, sprockets and chain are shot so any recommendations on where I can pick them up cheaply?

And the bike has 5k miles: should I anticipate replacing front brake pads and rear liners? TIA.
The front brake on the DR200 is pretty weak, so I squeeze it pretty hard a lot. I'm on my third front brake pad as a result. I have almost 11,000 miles on my DR200, so, at 5,000 miles, your bike may need the front pad replaced if it has been ridden hard on the street a lot. The rear liner still seems okay on mine.

I replaced the front sprocket with the stock Suzuki sprocket. I can't remember where I got the new chain, but it used a clip-type master link.

Now to the important part: You live in northwest Arkansas and you have a little dual-sport. You lucky guy. Have fun exploring in motorcycle paradise.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #165
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
New problem....

Hey
I had the same problem with mine, a dr350, after I dropped the bike. The problem was

the wiring at the clutch lever, the safety cut-off.
To check this you can find your solenoid, behind the left side panel on my 350. The

solenoid will have 4 wires coming into it. A big one from the battery, a big one
going to the starter motor and 2 small ones. The solenoid is a switch that when
activated makes a connection between the 2 large wires sending current to the
starter motor
Take a small wire, say from a voltmeter and connect the 2 small posts together (with

the bike in neutral) this will bypass you starter button and all of the associated
wiring and safety switches. If the starter turns over then you have a break
somewhere in the wiring. Most likely at one of the safety switches i.e. at the clutch
or sidestand. It is a good idea to bypass both of these as they can cause problems
when you drop the bike away from home and damage the wiring.

Basically the way it works is the wire coming in to the solenoid from the battery is
hot. As is one of the smaller posts on the solenoid.
The small hot post has a wire connected to it that goes up to your on/off switch
from there the wire goes to your start button.
from there to the instrument panel(to determine if the bike is in neutral)
from there to the clutch lever
from there to the side stand
and from there back to the second small post on the solenoid
When everything is working correctly the current passes along this circuit from
the small hot post on the solenoid back to the second small post on the solenoid.
This completes the circuit and allows the solenoid to switch on. Which in turn allows
the current to run from the large hot wire from the battery thru the solenoid to the
starter motor. If one of your safety switches is not working correctly you have a
'break' in the circuit that will prevent the solenoid from kicking in.

Keep in mind that this is how I diagnosed my problem on a slightly different bike so

you may want to ask here for more detailed instructions from people who know
the dr200, but in principle they are the same thing(the dr350 and dr200)
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote