Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #2026
AdvNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell
michigan interstate.

Where in Michigan was this taken? I'm trying to find some places to ride in Michigan!
AdvNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #2027
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveralt
Where in Michigan was this taken? I'm trying to find some places to ride in Michigan!
I'd ride up the east shore of Lake Michigan, if the UP is too far away.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #2028
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
many roads like this

There are miles of roads like this in northern Mi. Look at a conty map book for the dirt ones. Try Manistee or Huron national Forests or any of the state forests for awesome riding. Then there are the miles of single track.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #2029
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
Did you open up the airbox lid? When you change the jets to richen it up, you need to get it to let more air in, too.
sure did, as per the instructions with the kit, but you cant ride it in the rain with no lid, and it was getting too much air anyway. So, I cut a couple holes in the lid and put it back on, bike runs marginally better, and at least now you can ride in the rain again. Something else is wrong with the jets or my carb itself. This winter I think I'll take the carb off again and send it to jesse
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #2030
bananatron
n00b

Oddometer: 6
charcoal canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole
Okay, just bought the GF a new DR 200...sadly, a California bike. Anyone have any experience removing the charcoal cannister from this thing. Not, of course, that I'd actually do it....... It would be wrong..... That thing is a big eyesore and will eventually cause some grief in what are sure to be a lot of lot of low speed tip-overs.....
I too have this question. Took mine to the shop thinking it was a carb issue (it's under warranty so decided they should clean it) and ends up being a mucked up charcoal canister.

I didn't see a response but could have missed it, anyone have experience with this?
bananatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 AM   #2031
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveralt
in the thumb, just a few miles from caro.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #2032
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 207
Looking for some suggestions Dr 200?

My 2006 DR 200 won't run properly. It stalls, backfires and won't idle. Everything was fine until I decided to remove the lead plug from the idle screw. I loosened carb clamps to intake and air cleaner and spun the carb body clockwise so the fuel bowl faced the clutch side of the bike. I drilled and installed a screw into the plug and pulled it no problem. I checked the screw turns to tight and it was 1 1/2. I removed the main and pilot to check that they were stock and re-installed everything. I had dropped the swing arm earlier to pull shock and adjust in the process it was easier to get done with the muffler removed so that came off and back on with no problems. I go to start the bike and it seems to start fine with full choke. It gets partially warmed up and I hear popping noises in intake and exhaust. Bike runs progressly worse. If I throttle it up it stays at high rpm and eventually backs down. It will idle then shut off. I can hold the idle higher but it pops through intake and some times exhaust. I checked for air leaks and found none. Check the throttle slide and it is free. Pulled jetts and they are clean. Reset the idle screw to 1 1/2 turns out no problem. I quit for tonight. Anyone have any ideas? I'm really frustrated. Oh once warmed up I can pull choke and engine will rev to 3,000 rpm or more? It should go opposite and run rough almost stall. Geez...Damn thing ran well before pulling float bowl and jets now can't even ride it . Wardie
Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #2033
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie
My 2006 DR 200 won't run properly. It stalls, backfires and won't idle. Everything was fine until I decided to remove the lead plug from the idle screw. I loosened carb clamps to intake and air cleaner and spun the carb body clockwise so the fuel bowl faced the clutch side of the bike. I drilled and installed a screw into the plug and pulled it no problem. I checked the screw turns to tight and it was 1 1/2. I removed the main and pilot to check that they were stock and re-installed everything. I had dropped the swing arm earlier to pull shock and adjust in the process it was easier to get done with the muffler removed so that came off and back on with no problems. I go to start the bike and it seems to start fine with full choke. It gets partially warmed up and I hear popping noises in intake and exhaust. Bike runs progressly worse. If I throttle it up it stays at high rpm and eventually backs down. It will idle then shut off. I can hold the idle higher but it pops through intake and some times exhaust. I checked for air leaks and found none. Check the throttle slide and it is free. Pulled jetts and they are clean. Reset the idle screw to 1 1/2 turns out no problem. I quit for tonight. Anyone have any ideas? I'm really frustrated. Oh once warmed up I can pull choke and engine will rev to 3,000 rpm or more? It should go opposite and run rough almost stall. Geez...Damn thing ran well before pulling float bowl and jets now can't even ride it . Wardie
These are symptoms of being lean. You have a plugged jet or passage in the carb somewhere, or maybe a mis-adjusted float. Could also be an intake leak somewhere, loose or damaged vacuum hose, or even a torn or poorly seated air filter.

The stock jets are way lean to begin with, and even a small change will make a huge difference in how it runs.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #2034
jamier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Shift Lever

Anyone know of a place where I can get an extended shift lever for the DR?

I tried moving it up but it looks like it is at the top of where it goes. Just digs into the pan.

I have new Moose M1 boots that I'm slowly breaking in and have to twist my leg/foot too much to shift properly.
jamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #2035
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Anduinhilo when the motor is warmed up and I pull the choke the motor immediatley revs almost out of control. I would then a fully warmed up motor when you pull the choke would bog and evntually die of little air and too much fuel not the lean condition you suggest. The dangest thing is that I did nothing except unscrew two jets and check the numbers and put them back in again??? Maddening. Thanks I'll keep checking. I cannot observe any air leaks and even measured the flot height and it appears very, very close to the spoecifications the shop manual gives.

Anyone else care to chime in? Wardie
Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #2036
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier
Anyone know of a place where I can get an extended shift lever for the DR?

I tried moving it up but it looks like it is at the top of where it goes. Just digs into the pan.

I have new Moose M1 boots that I'm slowly breaking in and have to twist my leg/foot too much to shift properly.
Hmm.... you already moved it up as much as possible, so I guess an aftermarket shifter is the only possibility. I would take a look at aftermarket shifters for other suzuki offroad/SM bikes as they are most likely to fit the spline. Are you absolutely sure you need this though? I remember going from usually wearing hiking boots to MSR MX boots and initially had a lot of a difficulty shifting. But I adjusted very quickly and within a month was comfortable with shifting with the larger boots. I would recommend that you just give it time. ;)
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #2037
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Anduinhilo when the motor is warmed up and I pull the choke the motor immediatley revs almost out of control. I would then a fully warmed up motor when you pull the choke would bog and evntually die of little air and too much fuel not the lean condition you suggest. The dangest thing is that I did nothing except unscrew two jets and check the numbers and put them back in again??? Maddening. Thanks I'll keep checking. I cannot observe any air leaks and even measured the flot height and it appears very, very close to the spoecifications the shop manual gives.

Anyone else care to chime in? Wardie
There's got to be something that happened like a speck fell into one of the jets when you were in there. Andy was right, it does sound like it's way lean. All you can do is take it apart again. It's got to be something simple. Got the vacuum tube hooked up to the petcock?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:58 AM   #2038
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Vaccuum tube and all other lines are good. I will pull jets today and blow air into the carb and see what happens. I looked at jets yesterday and they were clear? I measured the float height and it is correct. Plenty of fuel in the bowl. I even thought the needle might be hanging up not going into jet so I stuck my finger into the venturi and manually moved the slide it was free. I can't figure out why when you give it a handfull of throttle and let off the rpm's stay high for quite a while until it slows back down? Sprayed everywhere looking for an air leak. Man if it wasn't so laughable things it would get ugly with the big hammer you know? LOL Wardie
Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #2039
kelly007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I need to take the plunge and get myself new sprocket and chain, on 14000km and the chain is looking sad as well as the engine sprocket. Have read all the posts for this thread.... but wanted a final opinion on what sprockets to go for, at the moment i have 12/47, should i go to the standard 15/45 or I think it was 15/42 that others ran. I dont do much off road, just dust roads and the sort, which i ride at my current setups comfortable speed of 60km/h. Looking to be more comfortable for longer distance without being a mission doing the work drive traffic everyday. The genreal alt around here is about 1500m - 2500m if thats any help. Thanks in advance

kelly007 screwed with this post 11-01-2009 at 11:24 AM
kelly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #2040
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Vaccuum tube and all other lines are good. I will pull jets today and blow air into the carb and see what happens. I looked at jets yesterday and they were clear? I measured the float height and it is correct. Plenty of fuel in the bowl. I even thought the needle might be hanging up not going into jet so I stuck my finger into the venturi and manually moved the slide it was free. I can't figure out why when you give it a handfull of throttle and let off the rpm's stay high for quite a while until it slows back down? Sprayed everywhere looking for an air leak. Man if it wasn't so laughable things it would get ugly with the big hammer you know? LOL Wardie
All I can say is keep on tinkering, frustrating as that is.