Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #2746
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Altho in the UK the bike is a Japanese spec DF200...

Suzuki Part# 46310-44AF0

Australian and New Zealand DF200 Trojans use a similiar rack but with an integrated rear light guard...

Suzuki Part# 46310-44AE0

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #2747
patski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Lake Isabella / Shirley Meadows

The wife scheduled a trip to Lake Isabella to windsurf with some of her old "gang." Perfect I thought, I'd mountain biked the singletrack near Shirley Meadows Ski Area a few years back and thought it'd be optimal for the DR200 "GS". As hot exhaust pipes are incompatible with mylar sails, I very carefully loaded the 200GS into the back of the RV.

Leaving nasty old HWY 99 in Bakersfield this sign greets you as you enter the Kern River Canyon, pretty hairy in an RV too....

With the snow level/melt this year, the river looked dangerously wild, even so, all the riverfront campgrounds have a beach, trying to add to the sign count I guess...

Best windsurfing is found at the nice flat beach by the Auxilary Dam. Shirley Meadows is the high peak on the left.

On Saturday I rode up the sandy Old State Rd. to Alta Sierra as Shirley Meadows is now called.

Rising out of the Central Valley, Rancheria Rd starts outside of Bakersfield and follows the ridge to Alta Sierra, all along Rancheria Rd is very nice intermediate singletrack. I explored every side trail I could find down to Evans Flat Campground and back, it's really great riding and no pedaling back to the start... ;)

Back at Lake Isabella I had passed Sawmill Rd and at Evans Flat there was also a sign for Sawmill Rd., hmmmm....

On Monday there was NO wind so I escaped for a few hours to explore Sawmill Rd., brought my camera this time.

I hadn't ridden very far on Sawmill when I came across this sign.

Might as well give it a try.

Wow, it was great, the hot, dusty high desert turned into a shady, green trail within a few minutes.

Tunnels!!

I couldn't believe what great condition the trail was in, almost groomed. Also, the tunnels seemed to be freshly manicured.

A few turns later I found out why. Wesley is the trail maint king! "Too much snow on Sherman pass, so this area is getting extra attention" he said.

The trail was so great I rode it 3 times total before continuing on to Evans Flat lookout.

OK, that "is" a piston bolted to the rock. It's a memorial to a dirt biker who's favorite(last?) saying was, and I'm paraphrasing, "You think that's crazy? Watch this!"

All that low gear riding from 2500 up to 7000, all that single track and I still averaged 85mpg, wow!

patski screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 08:13 AM
patski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #2748
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,804
That's gorgeous, patski.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #2749
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
tail rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44rll
Altho in the UK the bike is a Japanese spec DF200...

Suzuki Part# 46310-44AF0

Australian and New Zealand DF200 Trojans use a similiar rack but with an integrated rear light guard...

Suzuki Part# 46310-44AE0

Karl
Many thanks for the photo/part numbers. I'll put one in the suitcase next time we "cross the pond". Maybe a long shot, but any chance you know the part # in Sweden our final stop?
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #2750
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta
Maybe a long shot, but any chance you know the part # in Sweden our final stop?
Just checked the IKEA catalogue but no DR200 rack's

Thanks to Miniroot i managed to get some used items from a company he recommended in New Zealand...

http://www.atvcity.co.nz/Stocklist/S...00-Trojan.aspx

The DR/DF200 Trojan has the huge rear rack, headlight guard, factory bark busters, engine guard, mud flaps and right hand side stand

Karl
Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 AM   #2751
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
The DR/DF200 Trojan has the huge rear rack, headlight guard, factory bark busters, engine guard, mud flaps and right hand side stand

Karl
For anyone blown away by that front light/ rack combo, it's worth bearing in mind that the DF200 has a different top yoke, which as far as I could see would be required. That's why I've got a spare headlight with front rack in my garage. Also one of those rear racks that I never got round to fitting.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #2752
miniroot

Quote:
Nice work.

And it's good to hear that those guys came through for you.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #2753
miniroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta
Wonder if that UK tail rack would bolt on to my US 2005 DR 200...........?
Anyone tried?
If I remember correctly, and if that tail rack rack is similar to the NZ spec one I have, and your US spec DR200 is similar to my Canadian spec DR200...

(we're getting there)

...then the rack bolts right on, but not with the original indicators mounted. I can't recall exactly what the problem was, but I seem to remember that it didn't require a hell of a lot of work, just a little lateral thinking, and a drill.

As I recall, farm bikes (as the DF200 is marketed here) don't require a whole hell of a lot of things, like indicators, or regular Warrant of Fitness checks, or road registration. They're strictly limited to some short range of the boundary of the farm.

That said, Karl's has indicators. He'd know better.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #2754
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes i think my Jap spec DF200E is halfway between a Trojan and a DR200SE, it has all of the Trojan goodies and then full lighting gear as on the DR200SE

Rear indicators are standard and mounted with the bracket circled below....
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #2755
acif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
here in Guatemala we have both the USA and South-African spec dr200.

http://www.suzuki.com.gt/Motos/Modelos/DR200.html

mine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Suzuki_DR200.JPG
acif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #2756
patski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
That's gorgeous, patski.
THX KLay, I just unloaded the camera from last weeks trip, I'll try to get it out this week..

Say, I'm only up to page 35 on the DR200 thread, is there any consensus on the best tires for mostly dirt?

Cheerz

Patski
Old 07-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #2757
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patski
...is there any consensus on the best tires for mostly dirt?

Nope.

I would run D606's, though.

windigo
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #2758
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
I'm still trying to figure out what I like on mine. Klay how long do the D606s last.

To try something different I put Dunlop trials tires on my bike a few weeks back and really like them on the dirt. The down side was they brought the bike up a little in height and I didn't need that (I hate being short), they kick all sorts of dirt all over the bike and under the tank panniers which result in some scratches all the way through the paint to the metal and they aren't lasting. Too much pavement with these tires is not a good thing. I sure do like them in the dirt though.

It would be nice to figure out a low fender for the front tire to prevent the dirt from kicking back and now I'm in search of a tire that will be almost as good in the dirt as these but last longer. I know there are always compromises but I want it all.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #2759
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Not very long...not good for road riding. But they work well in mostly dirt.

windigo
Old 07-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #2760
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Thanks for the info Klay,

If I didn't do these long paved rides to go play in the dirt that would help. I don't want to haul the bike so I get what I get.

If I can figure it out I'm going to ride over to Westfest just to meet you. It will be a quick ride there, stay a couple hours and head back again though.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote