Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #2761
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
If I can figure it out I'm going to ride over to Westfest just to meet you. It will be a quick ride there, stay a couple hours and head back again though.
Aw, shucks, I wish you could stay longer.

I'll be around a lot at the rally. I've decided to make it one of my Klay-style roadtrips...most of my riding will be getting to and from Darby, and when I am there I am not going to ride too much.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #2762
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,306
I like IRC GP1s for everything except mud, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be getting much mileage out of the rear on my DR650. I'll check how many miles I have on them and report back. I really liked the TKC80s I mounted on my Scrambler so will probably switch to those on the 650. I have a new set of GP1s to spoon onto Jodie's DR200 rims in another few kms.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #2763
patski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hmm, those Dunlops and IRCs are a bit spendy, any luck with the Kenda270s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
I like IRC GP1s for everything except mud, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be getting much mileage out of the rear on my DR650. I'll check how many miles I have on them and report back. I really liked the TKC80s I mounted on my Scrambler so will probably switch to those on the 650. I have a new set of GP1s to spoon onto Jodie's DR200 rims in another few kms.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #2764
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patski
Hmm, those Dunlops and IRCs are a bit spendy, any luck with the Kenda270s?
I've been running K270s for a while now. They're very inexpensive and perform adequately. They've lasted long enough for me to forget how many miles are on them.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #2765
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Thanks for the info Klay,

If I didn't do these long paved rides to go play in the dirt that would help. I don't want to haul the bike so I get what I get.

If I can figure it out I'm going to ride over to Westfest just to meet you. It will be a quick ride there, stay a couple hours and head back again though.
If you're looking for decent mileage and passable performance in the dirt, I'm still a fan of the Dunlop D605, the D606's harder working cousin. Obviously nowhere near as good on dirt as the D606, the D605 is a real 50/50 tyre, with all the compromises that entails. My DR650 gets 10,000km out of a rear, maybe double that out of a front. I run them on the DR200, too, but it just hasn't done enough distance to tell how they're going to last.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #2766
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,386
I'll probably try a few different tires before I settle on what I like best and that will last a while. I probably should go with a 50/50 tires since that really is the type of riding I do.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #2767
miniroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
I run them on the DR200, too, but it just hasn't done enough distance to tell how they're going to last.
After that outlandish claim, I managed to get some wear on the rear this morning -- despite being loctited in, I seem to have lost my counter-sprocket bolt. Front sprocket jumped off the shaft this morning at about 50kph, rear wheel locked almost instantly.

Fun!

The guy behind me managed not to hit me, and once I'd dragged the bike off the road and was examining the damage a nice lady stopped to make sure I wasn't hurt and offer me a ride.

I don't suppose anyone's got the specs for the front sprocket bolt to hand? I don't mean the part number, I mean the sizes. Typical "service" from my local Suzuki dealer is that I'll pay $15 for a bolt, plus courier costs, and wait two days if I'm lucky. Seems a bit daft when I can go buy the right metric bolt over the counter.

Parts fiche says:

34 PLUG, OIL GALLERY 01550-0812A (replaces 01550-08123)
35 WASHER 08211-08283
Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #2768
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I don't have the size, just the tightening torque, 25 Newton-meters. Did the bolt back out or did the head shear off? It's easy to overtorque it. I lost the front sprocket once because of a sheared off sprocket bolt. Fortuantely, someone else was riding it so I didn't get hurt.

Just kidding, it happened at low speed, so there was no drama.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #2769
miniroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Did the bolt back out or did the head shear off? It's easy to overtorque it. I lost the front sprocket once because of a sheared off sprocket bolt.
I don't know yet. I had to get to work, and I didn't have an 8mm socket in my toolkit (ironically, I removed that at the weekend to use it on something else) so I couldn't get the sprocket cover off.

Like I say, loctited in. From memory I tightened it with the torque wrench the last time I replaced it, but there's every chance that I'd overtightened it once too many times before I bought the wrench.

We'll see.

Quote:
Fortuantely, someone else was riding it so I didn't get hurt.

I thank my lucky stars it happened to me, and at relatively low speeds. My wife's practicing for her bike license on that little thing.

Which means I've got her cracking the whip until it's fixed.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #2770
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Take a look at my post a a few pages ago about the Pirelli MT-21:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2744
I too looked at the D606 but the tire sizes seems to tall. The MT21 has sizes that seemed to be around OEM but the sizes I got were still taller. There is a shorter rear tire that would probably be closer to oem the 110/80-18 vs the 120/80-18 I got. So far, off-road, I like them way better than OEM and I'm very comfortable riding with them on dry streets. I saw posts on other forums about aggressive tires loosing lugs so keep that in mind on long street rides. Granted those were pretty heavy bikes. I'm running at 20PSI and so far the lugs are holding up well. I have another trail trip in a few weeks so i'll post pics after that trip as I should have 150+ miles on the tires by then to give some early feedback on wear.

Cheers,
Con

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what I like on mine. Klay how long do the D606s last.

To try something different I put Dunlop trials tires on my bike a few weeks back and really like them on the dirt. The down side was they brought the bike up a little in height and I didn't need that (I hate being short), they kick all sorts of dirt all over the bike and under the tank panniers which result in some scratches all the way through the paint to the metal and they aren't lasting. Too much pavement with these tires is not a good thing. I sure do like them in the dirt though.

It would be nice to figure out a low fender for the front tire to prevent the dirt from kicking back and now I'm in search of a tire that will be almost as good in the dirt as these but last longer. I know there are always compromises but I want it all.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #2771
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
been thinking about another bike to keep the dr200 company... v-strom 650,klr 650 or dr650? Since the trails on Long island are tight the dr will be my trail bike, the 650 will be mainly streets and light stuff. price range (used) as high as $4000
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #2772
patski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
been thinking about another bike to keep the dr200 company...
Mee too, not because I need something larger, but because the wife's taken a real shine to the 200GSA

Looked at a WR250R yesterday, woe my 30" inseam, how low can these babies go????

Maybe look at a XT225 tomorrow evening, recommended by the guy we bought the DR from....

It would be embarrassingly "cute" to have his'n'herz DRs.....
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #2773
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
I guess we're beyond that.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #2774
miniroot

Quote:
Looked at a WR250R yesterday, woe my 30" inseam, how low can these babies go????
That's an inch more than me, and I've no trouble on the DR650. I can get my left foot flat with my right foot still on the peg (and rear brake.) Just saying: don't think short.

Hmm.

I might know a guy who fitted lowering links to his WR250 rear, and I think just dropped the forks through the clamps. If you're interested, look up "Merv" on this forum.

Quote:
Overwhelmingly outweighed by having a partner that shares your passion. Me and the missus went riding a few months back. Now I can't wait for the kids to leave home so that we can do it again.

;)
Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #2775
miniroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Did the bolt back out or did the head shear off?
Backed out. Which is good news in a way. Also good news that the damage done by the wedged chain is minimal, so just the bolt and washer to replace, and check the chain out for slack spots.

Bad news is that I had to load the bike onto the pickup myself, and I still don't have a ramp -- slipped in the wet and dropped the bike, dinged the tank proper.

*sigh*

Tomorrow will be a good day!