Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #2821
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackline
Completely disassembled her carb to clean everything. Sucker was dirty. Re-assembled and it started right up and ran fine. Ran out of gas, got gas, wouldn't start, ran battery down, and put it on a trickle charger for a bit. Opened up air box, completely flooded, so I drained it and promptly got it started. Only thing was, it was super rough. It died when I ran to get a shirt to ride it around the block with my wife at the gas! Now it won't start again. I imagine it's flooded, but I haven't had the time to crack it open again.
Smarter men than me will chip in soon but it sounds like your needle and seat that lets the fuel into the bowl is stuck or dirty. At least it is an easy carb to remove and all the screws will be undoable.

I always reassemble my carbs and then hook up a small fuel tank before I reinstall. It makes sure that the float is ok as they can get little holes in them and that the needle and seat valve is working. Then drain and put back in.

Cheers from NZ

New Zealand..home of the only team unbeaten at the World Cup
NZDrRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #2822
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,307
If the airbox is flooded with gas the vacuum petcock is not working and allowing fuel to flow into the carb then into the airbox when the carb overflows. If it is the petcock order a Yahama part #5LP-24500 for a manual petcock. It's about $20 and the Suzuki OEM one is about $90. The Yahama one bolts right in like OEM.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #2823
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Quote:
Completely disassembled her carb to clean everything. Sucker was dirty. Re-assembled and it started right up and ran fine. Ran out of gas, got gas, wouldn't start, ran battery down, and put it on a trickle charger for a bit. Opened up air box, completely flooded, so I drained it and promptly got it started. Only thing was, it was super rough. It died when I ran to get a shirt to ride it around the block with my wife at the gas! Now it won't start again. I imagine it's flooded, but I haven't had the time to crack it open again.
Ok ....so something obviously went wrong in the r&r of the carb........
A few things to check first.....Hoses..... The inside side of the petcock......goes to the right forward side of the carb..... the aft side of the petcock where it says pri. ...goes to the left side of the carb....... The right aft side of the carb is the carb vent and goes to the airbox. Check those settings. Did you complete ly remove the carb.....or just rotate it????
I would suspect float stuck......Since you did not have flooding issue before....O would not suspect the petcock...( although they have been known to fail)...... Did you have the needle/spring apart??????? Let`s start with this.... I`m sure it`s easily fixable.......
Last thing..... you run the petcock on RUN.....Not on PRIME....right???

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 04:46 PM
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #2824
slackline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Pissed Still not starting.

Ok, tore into it again today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Ok ....so something obviously went wrong in the r&r of the carb........
Carb looks good. Jets are clean.

Quote:
A few things to check first.....Hoses..... The inside side of the petcock......goes to the right forward side of the carb..... the aft side of the petcock where it says pri. ...goes to the left side of the carb....... The right aft side of the carb is the carb vent and goes to the airbox. Check those settings.
Hoses are in good condition and in the right positions.

Quote:
Did you complete ly remove the carb.....or just rotate it????
Quote:
I would suspect float stuck......Since you did not have flooding issue before....
Float looks to be operating normally when opened up, but I obviously can't see it when it's all closed up. I couldn't see anything interfering with its normal operation.

Quote:
O would not suspect the petcock...( although they have been known to fail)......
I cleaned the petcock off because it was all nasty and grimy. It's already showing signs of getting gummed up again, so I don't know. Already ordered the Yamaha petcock, so I'll install that later next week.

Quote:
Did you have the needle/spring apart??????? Let`s start with this.... I`m sure it`s easily fixable.......
Yes, I had it apart to clean. Inspected the little bell type boot and it looks good still. Needle/spring seem to be in proper positioning.

Quote:
Last thing..... you run the petcock on RUN.....Not on PRIME....right???

Erling
Yes, I run it on the proper setting. I know, you have to ask. This is getting frustrating. I tried cranking it once I got it back together again, but nothing. I kept the seat off and was checking the airbox for flooding, but nothing significant this time.

That Others May Live
slackline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #2825
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

As suggested, it is sometimes helpful to run a flow test before putting it back into the bike. You can also open the drain screw when on the bike but not running and if the fuel doesn't stop flowing after the bowl drains you know it is the petcock. You should also check the float height but if it was working OK before then it is most unlikely to have changed.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #2826
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, you said you cleaned the petcock but it is getting "gummed up again". That may be your clue. Drain the tank and give it a bit of a clean. The petcock should not be getting dirty that fast unless there is something in the tank, or the rubber seal/washer/o ring in the petcock is reacting with the fuel.

Maybe a previous owner put something weird in the tank.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #2827
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Flooding can cause spark plug fouling, and rough running and hard starting are symptomatic of a fouled spark plug. Try a new one.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #2828
Lukon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Seeing other DR200's

I've been commuting from Laguna Beach to Long Beach (where the boat is) along PCH 3 or 4 times a week, and I've spotted a couple other DR200's along the way. Am I seeing any of you guys?

I returned the windscreen I ordered - they mistakenly sent me the 1" kit is opposed to the 7/8" and gave me too much hassle about switching, so I RMA'd it and bought an AirHawk.

I just installed the AirHawk and can't wait to try it. Lol, I was sitting on a memory foam pillow to save my arse.

The more I ride the 200, the more comfortable I get with it on the road - it is really not as limited as I expected. I've even made the 80 mile roundtrip on the I405 averaging well over 70mph, but it is not as fun, and the mileage suffers badly (62mpg fwy vs 86mpg on PCH.) After about 60mph, the cam picks up, and the engine smoothes out (stops buzzing.). It seems to buzz worst between about 54-59mph then smoothest right out again - probably just a weird harmonic. I do wish it had a 6th gear sometimes...

Does anybody have any ideas about some kind of scissor joint I can get to make my handlebars foldable?
Lukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #2829
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukon
Does anybody have any ideas about some kind of scissor joint I can get to make my handlebars foldable?
http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/Jota_Bars.htm

I am sure these would be somewhere in the US.

Cheers
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #2830
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
brakes

Searched the forum and couldn't find the answer.. I want to change my front brake pads, Sintered or carbon pads?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #2831
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
oo and by the way Klay... your Odometer is quite amazing.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #2832
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
oo and by the way Klay... your Odometer is quite amazing.
It's pretty idiotic.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #2833
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Uh-Oh

According to a recent article on motorcycledaily.com, it appears there will not be a 2011 DR-200; at least not here in the U.S. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen a 2010 either. There are still dealers with leftover 2009s and I talked to a dealer the other day who just sold his last leftover 2008 this week.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #2834
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick
According to a recent article on motorcycledaily.com, it appears there will not be a 2011 DR-200; at least not here in the U.S. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen a 2010 either. There are still dealers with leftover 2009s and I talked to a dealer the other day who just sold his last leftover 2008 this week.
If it means a street-legal DRZ250, I'm all ears.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #2835
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I stopped at the dealer today and he verified that the DR-200 was a no-show for 2011, and there was no 2010. The only small(ish) D/S bikes will be the DR-650 and the DRZ-400. He said it appears that the whole line will be available in Canada. Oh well, he has one 2009 DR-200 still to be prepped.