User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #2836
Markem47
n00b

Oddometer: 8
? For you DR650 owners

Are the same gas tanks used on the post 1995 DR650SE as are used on the DR200SE? If so, that may mean that the aftermarket DR650 tanks might fit. I'm not really wanting to extend my range to over 400 miles but a lighter tank might be nice. Thanks
Markem47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #2837
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Petrol In the Airbox

Ok, got the jetkit from Keintech. It shows a washer under the clip on the needle but mine has a plastic spacer. From an earlier post I saw that the recommendation was to raise the e clip on the new needle and put the plastic spacer underneath so I did this. I also emailed Keintech to ask their opinion.

Put it all together and it started straight away and even idled but bogged a bit after a while and died. Was hard to start then but I managed to get it going with a ton of throttle but it was crappy on the road whenever I opened the throttle right up, but not immediately.

Removed the seat and looked in the airbox, petrol in the bottom. Soaked it up with a rag and watched for a moment, no more petrol. Started the bike with a lot of throttle and saw petrol coming into the bottom again. It only runs in when the bike is running. The petcock works as does the needle and seat as the bowl drains then stops (although no vacuum, no fuel flow from petcock). It only lets fuel into the airbox while the motor is running. Is this the float height or something else. Why would it change due to new jets being installed?

Mystery?

Help.

NZDrRider screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 11:25 PM
NZDrRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #2838
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

As a thought, is it possible to bend the tang by pushing the floats up while they are installed? When I cut the bottom off the idle jet tube/cover as per Keintech's instructions I had the bowl off to get access and I held the floats up out of the way by pushing firmly with a finger or two while I did the cutting.

Cheers

NZDrRider screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 11:23 PM
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #2839
kimber45
I'm over it.

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZDrRider
As a thought, is it possible to bend the tang by pushing the floats up while they are installed? When I cut the bottom off the idle jet tube/cover as per Keintech's instructions I had the bowl off to get access and I held the floats up out of the way by pushing firmly with a finger or two while I did the cutting.

Cheers
possible, but more then likely you just got something stuck in your inlet needle from having the carb apart.
kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #2840
Apature
Test Pilot

Oddometer: 2
Hello All

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schuldt...77655/sizes/l/

Hello all!
Long time reader- glad to finally have a bike to post about ^^^ Here she is in all her 03 glory.

Thanks for compiling so much quality information on this bike- I've already creeped an answer or two from the archives.

Hopeful Future mods: Living in Canada, I hope to eventually make her, like I, love the cold- so a jet and airbox mod are in her future. Other then that I may shave my rear turn signals, and eventually build a rack for it.

Nice to meet you all*
Apature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #2841
britt
Y2K DR650 and DR200

Oddometer: 37
i have tried to read this whole thread. But probably missed the answer. Is anyone using slightly larger tires on their 200? I would like to try a front knobby and rear trials tire. Like maybe a 2.75/21 front and 4.00/18 rear. What sizes have you used? Thanks.

britt screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 06:23 PM
britt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #2842
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Here is mine with no clearance problems......

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44rll
Just fitted Continental TKC80's on mine

Not sure if it is available in the USA in these sizes
Front 2.75-21 Rear 4.10-18

K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #2843
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by britt
i have tried to read this whole thread. But probably missed the answer. Is anyone using slightly larger tires on their 200? I would like to try a front knobby and rear trials tire. Like maybe a 2.75/21 front and 4.00/18 rear. What sizes have you used? Thanks.
I used a 3.00x21 front and 4.60x18 rear for a while. Rear was fine, front appears to have scuffed the speedo drive cable a little. No clearance issues, as such.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #2844
Sprig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick
I stopped at the dealer today and he verified that the DR-200 was a no-show for 2011, and there was no 2010...
The Dealer EXPECTED to sell these cycles. So, there is a weird thing going on right now. The dealer needs more dollars for them, but the bikes are worth LESS dollars.

I WANTED a Suz DR200, and wasn't looking for anything else.

I didn't get the BEST deal I might have got if there were 200 more at every dealer. However, I think the dealer made a little money, and I didn't get totally ripped off.

As a reminder, it doesn't do anyone any good for a buyer to get such a good deal that they put the local store out of business.
Sprig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #2845
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by britt
I run a 3.00 x 21 dual sport front and 110/90-18 full knobby rear but that doesn't really mean too much because off road tires vary quite a bit from nominal "size". The front Kenda 270 3.00 x 21 measures 82 mm (3.23") across the widest knobs and the rear Dunlop 952 110/90-18 is 128 mm (5.0") across at the widest. There is no issue with the front but the rear briefly rubbed slightly against the chain guard before it wore away the necessary clearance by wearing away the chain guard where it touched the outer knobs. Before long I am changing that Kenda front for full knobby 3.00 x 21 or 80/100-21 that will be close to 3.25" across. The Kenda 270 packs with mud too easily.
Attached Images

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #2846
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Ok, got the jetkit from Keintech. It shows a washer under the clip on the needle but mine has a plastic spacer. From an earlier post I saw that the recommendation was to raise the e clip on the new needle and put the plastic spacer underneath so I did this. I also emailed Keintech to ask their opinion.

Put it all together and it started straight away and even idled but bogged a bit after a while and died. Was hard to start then but I managed to get it going with a ton of throttle but it was crappy on the road whenever I opened the throttle right up, but not immediately.

Removed the seat and looked in the airbox, petrol in the bottom. Soaked it up with a rag and watched for a moment, no more petrol. Started the bike with a lot of throttle and saw petrol coming into the bottom again. It only runs in when the bike is running. The petcock works as does the needle and seat as the bowl drains then stops (although no vacuum, no fuel flow from petcock). It only lets fuel into the airbox while the motor is running. Is this the float height or something else. Why would it change due to new jets being installed?

Mystery?

Help.
I am almost 100% sure your float is leaking fuel into the airbox.....assuming that all else is well with the carb. If it would still leak into the airbox if the bike was stalled.... the I`d suspect the petcock. Will it leak with the bike stopped....and you apply suction to the petcock on the carb hose..( not the fuel hose).
You need to use the stock nylon washer under the c-clip. One thing at a time.... You cant sort the jetting until you have sorted the fuel leak issue.
Carb apart....look at the float level...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #2847
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
I am almost 100% sure your float is leaking fuel into the airbox.....assuming that all else is well with the carb. If it would still leak into the airbox if the bike was stalled.... the I`d suspect the petcock. Will it leak with the bike stopped....and you apply suction to the petcock on the carb hose..( not the fuel hose).
You need to use the stock nylon washer under the c-clip. One thing at a time.... You cant sort the jetting until you have sorted the fuel leak issue.
Carb apart....look at the float level...

Erling
Spot on, thanks. Pulled carb and did the static test I should have done earlier. Float setting was under 12mm which happily let the fuel flow. I adjusted the level closer to 14mm, a fraction under, and that stopped the on the bench flow. Put the carb back in and tested again, still flowing a little when the bike was running. I rang Jesse to seek confirmation about the clip placement and nylon washer as his photo shows what looks like a metal washer. He confirmed that the 4th clip from the top is correct with the nylon washer under it so I did that as I had moved the clip up the needle to compensate for it being nylon not steel. There is a facet on the washer to make it sit in a certain way.

I removed the air filter, blocked the vacuum pipe that goes to the petcock, as I am using a small petrol reservoir not the tank, and started it again. Seems to run ok without the heavy misty blowback that was occurring before and soaking the filter then accumulating in the bottom of the airbox.

Now to reinstall the air filter and try again.

Will post the result shortly.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #2848
slomon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
make sure some of your gas didn't drain into your oil and it is not back flowing from your crank case vent tube that connects under the air box. it happened to me on a bike i fixed last week. i started the bike, had a nice idle, then i noticed the air box filling up with gas/oil.

the petcock failed and the "o" ring around the needle housing was leaking.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #2849
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomon
make sure some of your gas didn't drain into your oil and it is not back flowing from your crank case vent tube that connects under the air box. it happened to me on a bike i fixed last week. i started the bike, had a nice idle, then i noticed the air box filling up with gas/oil.

the petcock failed and the "o" ring around the needle housing was leaking.
Jesse mentioned that as well. The amount of fuel in the bottom of the airbox was not deep enough to reach the hole but I did check the level. I wondered what the result would be, if any, if I blocked off the pipe to the crank from the airbox. I understand what it is designed to do but I think it may be possible put a longer pipe on the crankcase outlet and then install the little rubber filter/cap that is on the top front of the airbox.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #2850
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Jesse mentioned that as well. The amount of fuel in the bottom of the airbox was not deep enough to reach the hole but I did check the level. I wondered what the result would be, if any, if I blocked off the pipe to the crank from the airbox. I understand what it is designed to do but I think it may be possible put a longer pipe on the crankcase outlet and then install the little rubber filter/cap that is on the top front of the airbox.

Cheers
I've been thinking the same thing. My Son's quad crankcase vent's to a filter outside the airbox as well. Let us know if you come up with something.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote